• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Any Car Talk/Click and Clack fans here?

Just get yourself a pair of foam ear plugs and stuff 'em in your ear holes while you're driving that old death trap - they'll cost you about 50 cents - problem solved
Plus, you won't have to hear all the car horns blowing and other drivers yelling and swearing at you about all that **** coming out of your tail pipe
(you did say you wanted a Click and Clack type answer)

Hahaha!

But seriously...

76 - B21F - BW55 - 235k - 245DL

Best described as a "ringing" sound. Right around 3k rpm's (+/-300rpms). While feathering the throttle or when off the throttle, no sound under load. Does NOT change in relation to engine RPM or vehicle speed. Driveshaft joints are greased and tight. Carrier bearing rubber bushing is tired but the driveshaft doesn't move excessively while in use. Tail of BW55 isn't leaking. Exhaust heatshields are tight.

The older brother died a few years back from complications of Alzheimer's. NPR has a weekly podcast rerunning previous episodes. 800+ episodes are on YouTube.

Hah! I'm listening to a random episode (#1623) on youtubes and a gal called in describing the same sound at 2900rpm on her Sunfire AND the sound goes away under throttle. They are saying heat shield.

Hah! I'm listening to a random episode (#1623) on youtubes and a gal called in describing the same sound at 2900rpm on her Sunfire AND the sound goes away under throttle. They are saying heat shield.

I think it is either a heat shield or a baffle inside the muffler. I know on the early cars about half of them had that resonance and it was the exhaust system, IMO.

Make the sound for us while we all listen and laugh.

3000 rpm seems to be the sweet spot for exhaust vibrations. My 240 has had various exh rattles and they all happened at 3K.

Back