• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 rear sway bar long bolts jammed

DeuceCoupethirtytwo

i can not get the long bolts of the rear sway bar to come out :wtf:
what do i do heat bigger hammer what:grrr:
have ipd bars with new long bolts:)
fronts went in with no problem:)
any help would be great thanks

are those going through the lower shock absorber bolts as on 7/900??

If so, sorry, but I guess you have to sawthem off, and install new shocks. I had to do it on both mine and a friends car when installing new sway bars...

If so, sorry, but I guess you have to sawthem off, and install new shocks. I had to do it on both mine and a friends car when installing new sway bars...

yikes

You have the axle supported as mentioned above? And you are holding the bolt in place while you remove the nut so it isn't just spinning?
If you're doing both of those, then I think the cutting might be the way to go. I've never seen one rusted so badly as to need cutting, but I've never worked on a car from the east coast.

Yes, same basic setup.

reminds me of:

(the junkyard closed, we never got it out) the left bolt is out, the right wouldn't budge, that's us pulling on the swaybar and slamming it with a cinder block just trying to push the bolt through the hole with the nut removed.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dQkhpPJl2M0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dQkhpPJl2M0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've had to cut them when the spacer sleeve rusted to the bolt and wouldn't budge. But then that was before the days of knowing about a torch. If you have the blue wrench. You can usually heat that rusted spacer and get the bolt out of it with the 3-5lb hammer. It helps to soak it overnight with penetrating oil as well. If that doesn't move it then I cut that crap out of there and put in new bolts and spacer with anti seize on the inside where it's needed so that won't ever happen again. Make sure you have a new spacer to install with the shocks if you cut the bolts out.

^diddo... those mount sleeves are a pita... all of our 240's had the problem w/ seized bolts/sleeves... cut for sure, may get lucky w/ penetrating oil (NOT KY) and torch/hammer, will probably end up knarffling the garthog and having to replace the bolts anyway.

thanks for the tips
I had the weight of the car on the axle !:oops:
when the weather warms, I'll try jacks under car and supports under axle
some penetrating oil with the help of a hammer should do it
thanks again

I cut mine off flush with an angle grinder and used a big punch, and a bigger hammer to drive them out.

Back