• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone know a hall sensor that fits in the stock VR location?

both. getting the vr to work well with the external conditioners on ms1 was always a pain in the ass, it got a lot better with the v3 board and the ms1 chip, but something in the way ms2 looks at things always seems to highlight issues. my 940 would work great with the ms1 v3 combo, wouldn't run hardly at all with an ms2 or ms3 setup and the same pot settings. strange, annoying stuff.

sam's wagon is seasonal. he has to re-adjust the noise filters if it gets too warm or too cold out, otherwise it won't read cranking rpm's.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on it.

Wow, so glad Kenny sen\t this thread link over to me. I have the same issues! I need to do something, I would love to get my hands on one of those adapters!
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NvjUDV5SWus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let's make sure this one works 1st...pay for shipping and you can test fit and report back. No charge for the prototype one, a few little errors on it I don't like.

Can you measure the gap between the new sensor and the flywheel? Spec calls for 5mm max.

I cannot put a flywheel on my motor right now to make any measurements.

That looks great. Simple and elegant.

Do you just run the hall sensor through the vr circuit on the v3 board? In other words if I have a stock volvo vr sensor now I would have to change nothing on my board?

Mueller wake up! this thread has me all excited.

gotta power and ground the hall sensor, but the signal can and should go through the vr circuit. tune it til you get a signal, and done.

not sure. switching to the opto isolator is just a few jumpers away. I am not sure but I think i did the standard 1kohm pullup into the signal line as usual when I tried to run this sensor on my car. it may not need it though if you do a little multimeter test on the output and check it against some metal.

i'd like to report that on walter hansen's car we're running the bmw cam sensor (that bolts in) with ms2v3.57 and there are no sync or dropout issues. just need to turn the pots some. (brett)

I will be returning back to ATL and giving the bmw sensor a shot on my ms2v3 board and reporting back. it's got a much stronger magnet, but I Might have to end up replacing the VR chip with something more robust if it calls for it.

seems 3.57 has better electronics in it VR wise.

the opto isolator circuit on the v3 is fairly frequently maligned, even DIY recommends you run a hall input in on the vr circuit. I've got the crank portion of the DSM cas wired up to the vr input on my setup right now. works great.

Do you just run the hall sensor through the vr circuit on the v3 board? In other words if I have a stock volvo vr sensor now I would have to change nothing on my board?

Mueller wake up! this thread has me all excited.

I'm sending Mike (740atl) his part tomorrow, hopefully he gets it early next week and can do a test fit. I have stock cut for 8 of them right now and reviewed the program to make it a little more efficient on my end.

Nobody wants to just hog that hole out on the new $35 sensor to make it work, with a washer and try it...

You know, before engineering a billet thing...

Might work, or you might be $35 poorer.

The body of the sensor is what aligns it, no? Not the mounting tab...ehh?

Nobody wants to just hog that hole out on the new $35 sensor to make it work, with a washer and try it...

You know, before engineering a billet thing...

Might work, or you might be $35 poorer.

The body of the sensor is what aligns it, no? Not the mounting tab...ehh?

The sensor will work for sure, that is a known....my reverse engineering is what makes me nervous :)

I didn't like the original prototype, so I made a few more.

Didn't ship yet, so Mike will get it late this week now..sorry.

Attachments

• cps.jpg
    cps.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 578
wait, am i missing something here? i thought you couldn't just replace a VR sensor with a hall sensor? the VR reads teeth or holes, the hall reads a magnet. I have built many MS for VWs. Hall is in the dizzy, VR is in the block (or cam, etc)

All the Hall sensors i deal with need a shutter wheel to either expose or shield a magnet, that is, after all "the hall effect" trigger.

I agree with NOT using a VR on a MS though, all the truly reliable ones i have seen used the ford EDIS system with the MS just controlling timing.

didnt mean to interject in your thread, just seemed like there might be some confusion here (or in my head lol)

Back