• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Strut bar benefit. '96 960

dm245

On a pull a part run this week I came across a '96 960 with an IPD strut bar. That was a surprise as I've never seen one on a 960. Knowing there's no suspension upgrades for the 960 I'm going to install it on mine. Will there be any noticeable handling change? Just curious, thanks

Dang, do you have any pics? How was it installed? All the strut bars I've seen don't fit, or were put on backwards to make it fit.

Should definitely help with hard cornering, from what I've heard, but you probably won't notice a ton in normal day to day driving.

But if you have it - why not?

The car will mostly just feel more settled when you drive over stuff like a washboard surface or long fast sweeping turns. I thought IPD made anti roll bars for the 960? Bilsteins are available.

I don't have pics. The only thing I can come up with is it was for the 740/940 cars. I got it bolted up and went for a drive. Call it the placebo effect or whatever, but just rolling down the road it did feel more solid. I love driving my 964, but also love my 745 and will swap the strut bar over to it. Either ride is worth the upgrade.

Dang, do you have any pics? How was it installed? All the strut bars I've seen don't fit, or were put on backwards to make it fit.

Should definitely help with hard cornering, from what I've heard, but you probably won't notice a ton in normal day to day driving.

But if you have it - why not?

I'm not good with pics at all. I do however have a few up on

Derby City Volvos

Facebook book page under the discussion part of it. Easy as pics can be. Had no problem with the install. Bolted right up. What would the IPD price have been for this piece? I got it for $12 and I suppose this was for the 740/940 cars. It matched right up to my 745, but installed on the '96 960.

96 960:

OOBAdRTh.jpg

6ezUuqCh.jpg

Strutbar from LMR, had to drill one hole for it to fit.

Nice. Good looking 960 also.

Went for another drive today and can feel an improvement. Felt tighter on my bumpy road and just a little more solid. Haven't hit the twisties yet, my awesome driving skills don't exactly impress the wife. Even though I keep trying.

May want to go back and check the car for the lower brace. There is an optional brace for the lower body. It joins the lower body area and is also a bolt on. It goes across under the trans/engine bell housing area. It was standard on rest of the world cars. But US models didn't get them. IPD may still sell that one. Or it's available in the aftermarket. Completes the front bracing for a really good feeling car.

Thanks for the tip. Actually since I have the 740 every trip to pull a part I do look under every 7&9 I come across for any bracing. Have yet to find any. I was lucky to find this 960 pretty much untouched and that's how the strut bar was still there. The 960 wasn't listed as a 960 in their inventory. Their inventory usually is listed by Model number. This one was simply listed as a wagon and that's how I found it.

IIRC, all 960's came with a lower brace. I think it was only the 940's that didn't come with it (in the US at least). Although I've owned a 960 (a long time ago) I never thought to look if it had it.
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6594/105672-lower-chassis-brace-700-940

May want to go back and check the car for the lower brace. There is an optional brace for the lower body. It joins the lower body area and is also a bolt on. It goes across under the trans/engine bell housing area. It was standard on rest of the world cars. But US models didn't get them. IPD may still sell that one. Or it's available in the aftermarket. Completes the front bracing for a really good feeling car.

IIRC, all 960's came with a lower brace. I think it was only the 940's that didn't come with it (in the US at least). Although I've owned a 960 (a long time ago) I never thought to look if it had it.
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/6594/105672-lower-chassis-brace-700-940

Pic of a facelifted car's underbelly:
45260820.jpg

As far as I know because of suspension differences between 740s and 940s and facelifted 960s/s90s/v90s, that bigger chassis brace does not work on 740 or 940s, and likewise a lower chassis brace for earlier 7/9s doesn't fit later 960s. But the subframe braces shown here do work:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=319020

Back