• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

canadian 245 story (LS swap)

chris gilmour

So before everyone gets upset, I've owned this car for awhile, and have a lot of progress pictures from some time ago, i'll start with that and slowly document the current LS plan.

anyways on to the car. the car in question is a 1991 volvo 245 with a 2.3l 4 banger and a stock 5 speed. The story on the car is after getting into a hit and run accident where the other guy took off, My first volvo wagon was destroyed, So i went on the hunt and found this one. i was skeptical at first, i got a response to a "wanted" ad i posted on my local kijiji (canada's craigslist) I went to go look since the seller didnt have a camera or didnt know how send photos. when i get there its buried up to the rims in dirt in a field with grass mowed around it. they were actually using it as a green house and had little saplings in the small pots growing in the trunk section.

this is the first one i had, only had it for 1 week.
OWOTpTD.jpg

bent the frame rails way out of whack
7b5cKcp.jpg

qhVf6IP.jpg

061UHYV.jpg

then i picked up the current 245. this is the only picture i grabbed when i got it home
i told the guy if he got it out of the field and ready for a test drive i'll come back. so he did and a week later i bought her for $500
at this point it had 503,000kms on the odometer
wcoHIf5.jpg

on the way home from buying it the shifter linkage exploded on me, so first thing to do was turn some new brass bushings to replace the worn out nylon ones
9axI0K8.jpg

he factory "retaining sleeve" rotted off the linkage barrel so i replaced the pins with roll pins and put it all back together
Vq9UE9c.jpg

after the initial accident my grandmother (so thankful for her) gave me her 7th gen civic to drive while i get the other volvo on the road. so i spent some time gathering parts and making the 245 road worthy up at the shop.
Fo3VqIh.jpg

mYw5ClA.jpg

tbeR2XY.jpg

eventually i got her home, and of course we had a massive snow fall right after
uIetAh3.jpg

so i dug her out
ZavgsCR.jpg

then went out and got my first taste of RWD fun :)
3upwWVJ.jpg

eventually spring came, and i dealt with the ride height.
js6ANEf.jpg

8WpZ3Jy.jpg

scored a full set of GTA wheels for $200 just needed a mean repolish
4iiB7BR.jpg

got them mounted and an alignment done.
CsAwJKe.jpg

drove it like this for summer and loved every minute of it, its my first RWD car, and its been a blast having one fun with it. at this point it was a bone stock 20 something year old car with a set of wheels and lowered haha. definitely turned some heads though!
ZCiKPGV.jpg

XAGaoE7.jpg

I've never been one to baby my vehicles, so i snapped a pic after some "rally" driving on some farm roads haha the front cross member and front exhaust pipe took some nasty hits.

fast forward to fall, and a season of abuse, its maintenance time.
beat the hell out of the sub frame all year, so i found a used but good one to replace
LWqnuPA.jpg

got her back together and freshened up the front end just in time for the fall colours pictures
sWY1hYp.jpg

hBorbxt.jpg

of course after fall comes winter.. threw some new winters on the old steelies and spent more time sideways than i did straight.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CM87_GGIqM0?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i only ended up in the ditch once, but thankfully my friends drive subarus... so they pulled me out.
eSQrhGE.jpg

spring came again, and i put the GTAs back on, which was nice and refreshing, Also put some adjustable perches and 2.5ID springs in the back. the old cut ones would rub all the time with any weight in the car, this solved that problem
8bzo1Cd.jpg

some summer time photos (yea its not all snow in canada aha)
WdYDYsz.jpg

cl8NHhQ.jpg

YkSPj0s.jpg

so as time rolled on, and i learned more, and broke more stock parts i started really modding it.
i kept destroying torque rod bushings (upper links in a 4 link) so i built some adjustable rods with heim joints at each end. All the heim joints i use have a teflon liner in them for maintaince free care, and durable life span. I also used LH threads at one end and RH threads at the other. this way they can be adjusted with out removing them from the car.
RAHOpBk.jpg

next were some adjustable sway bar links with poly upper bushings to lower the bar back down.
these were pretty simple. just needed to make the sleeve/spacers and get some threaded rod for the rod end.
l9lnies.jpg

I also picked up this cheap fixed back race seat from a friend, its nothing special, but its probably my favourite thing I've done to the car so far, so much better feel for the road and corners. a lot more feel to the cars input.
ldHVkHX.jpg

fall came again, and it looked pretty.
N8TwD2u.jpg

FKIcDuB.jpg

got a set of these mere wheels for free so i decided to clean them up for a blingy set of winter wheels
b84TuqT.jpg

NSrYgWE.jpg

whipped up some adapters on a slow dat at work
17K2C1y.jpg

put some nice fresh conti winter tires on em
C54ThNo.jpg

the old pan hard rod got rusty, and decided to crack at the spot where it kinks to clear the diff. to get me home i just welded the crack. that didnt last long, but it gave me time to build a new stainless rod with adjustable heirs.
91X81Ix.jpg

SRTA5hi.jpg

5W8Bo5j.jpg

then one day i felt a big clunk in the rear, turns out my rear axle bushings exploded. so for now i just replaced with stock ones
8vz7twT.jpg

but machined a set of solid ones with spherical bearings in for the future
JvZ4rN5.jpg

LJQZrEu.jpg

i also picked up a new wheel, and turned a wooden shift knob (first time machining wood, came out pretty nice)
at6M14j.jpg

heres where the fun stuff started happening. picked up this rusty rear axle and everything attached to it. The plan for this was to have something out of the car I could do work on. I also planned to weld the diff. but wanted a back up incase it wasn't gonna work for daily use.
FrwvHkt.jpg

stripped it down and opened it up
8ZwM0on.jpg

welded it up. its ugly, but those spiders will never move again
ej1y5Zr.jpg

made some dual calliper brackets
B37KqkP.jpg

1qd8usY.jpg

gePGdnV.jpg

qiMNMIH.jpg

cleaned up and painted
XcOJEGQ.jpg

dfTcTVQ.jpg

rear axle bearing/bushings pressed in
0iBwVot.jpg

then started boxing the trailing arms
jTLXNFQ.jpg

then milled some tapped bosses for front heim joints
Lhgpbmc.jpg

TYWIBIp.jpg

JKzChPb.jpg

after that i turned to the rear and made some better mounting points for my adjustable sleeves
mEpHD0K.jpg

NYsEVYx.jpg

so as all this was going on in the shop, i bought this running truck for $300 for my new power plant. I went for a 4.8l specifically for the shorter stroke and faster revs.
ql0skwJ.jpg

5rd1x6W.jpg

34pv42t.jpg

at this point in the dead of winter, I've done a lot of winter drifting and the clutch said "i quit"
nOctI47.jpg

FMgHRin.jpg

found some early "slim" bumpers at the pick n pull
a85E9l2.jpg

in preparation for the swap, i went grabbed a bunch of pallets and bought some floor boarding and built a floor in my portipal.
a9KwE5Z.jpg

got the engine on the stand and started stripping the long block
h4KxYLp.jpg

threw some paint on it
ItebQSG.jpg

this is a HUGE part of the build here. up until this point the 245 has obviously been the daily driver. so I had to pick up a dedicated daily. this fell in my lap for a steal at $1600
1.8t 5-speed 4motion fully loaded.
iZYzlLx.jpg

so with a new car to drive me to work, i rolled the 245 in to the tent and started digging in.
at this point the old b230f had 587,000km on her.
eTJ6yzs.jpg

5UnRZfI.jpg

xLzQJcS.jpg

uO5ree2.jpg

MSplmxC.jpg

first obvious issue was the deep truck pan. so i made some measurements and got a 7qrt pan that was 6" deep.
5Jo7JDo.jpg

hung the motor in the bay
FFfNCtR.jpg

everything lines up perfect (note i circled the engine mount bolts that line up perfectly with the cross member.)
557UFuo.jpg

Z3dAoEP.jpg

picked up a Gm T5 out of a camaro and a bell housing to match.
igbUXDK.jpg

gonna have to do some trimming around the shifter hole.
PYJmdZz.jpg

started on the mounts. i used the STS mounts for inspiration. i got the engine sitting exactly where i needed it. then measured measured and measured. then started making the parts to build the mounts

turned some sleeves and black poly bushings. then coped some box tubing
W5SqIXK.jpg

k8WyFyt.jpg

welded up
KbWB7Mh.jpg

then made some base plates for the cross member. milled the pocket out so the tubing sits 1/2" deep then welded around
HNqb0LO.jpg

LZeScEU.jpg

mounts all welded up and painted
PV5xrQi.jpg

RcKPOR7.jpg

bolted in the car
oV4kUd0.jpg

ITjCvzv.jpg

79cbxXQ.jpg

after that i had to deal with the shifter hole. so i cut the factory hole out to reuse it. once i had it cut out, i cut and bent the tunnel until i had it where i needed it. then tacked the stock hole back and started pulling and filling metal back to the hole.
AEt4KHE.jpg

oIxXzgd.jpg

aaAmgRD.jpg

then mounted the hand brake lever and tried to make the carpet fit as good as possible
EcZ2cwg.jpg

after that i modified the stock trans cross member to use with the T5 mount. the mount is right above the stock location so i lucked out there.
AcGwWvD.jpg

ebkeFLH.jpg

8PL2a1B.jpg

IHQnsN8.jpg

240s use a one piece strut tube/front spindle setup. Which means there's only a few very expensive options for coil overs. And a lot involve cutting/welding the stock spindles. I was on the hunt for a more traditional setup where the spindle attaches to the strut with two bolts. Often used for camber adjustment as well. I couldn't find much and the volvos forward mounted steering rack was posing an issue. But after peeking under the front of a 1989 Mazda RX7 it had everything I was looking for. The two bolt strut mount, the forward tie rod mount, a common ball joint attachment and being rwd there's no splined hub assembly.

Plan is now to run rx7 brakes/ball joints/coilovers and reuse the Volvo tie rods.
xVETXDB.jpg

also got my harness all trimmed down
5W3yQNi.jpg

So, after much back and forth with friends about different trans/flywheel/bell housing setups i got myself a sachs 1050.
8TWOcMp.jpg

qa6kF97.jpg

first problem. this flywheel didnt didnt fit inside my SBC bell housing. so after more talking found out a friend use the same setup in his elcamino and used a BBC bell housing. so with a trip down to see Rick at Nova Automotive and of course he had one laying around.
I also scored this strut brace at the junk yard. its not a direct fit, but if i cut the ends off and make my own mounting points it'll be a trick little piece
uB0FTsj.jpg

money and time has been a little tight after my daily snapped the timing belt and wrecked the head.

but anyways I've still been plugging along. i made some cuts to the fire wall, to push it back and allow for some space behind the intake manifold. then boxed it in and finished it off.
C2DLjfrl.jpg

with the intake now fitting, i test fit the hood. it JUST closes with the truck manifold. which i have decided to keep for now.
wuVm4GCl.jpg

installed a new straight steering shaft to gain some clearance against the headers, this is a huge help compared to the large rubber dampened stock shaft.
T8yeTmLl.jpg

poking around the engine bay, i noticed one of the push out grommets fit the heater pipes. since the OEM location was on there drivers side directly behind the head, there was no way i could run hoses from it. so i relocated the hoses over to the passenger side cut out and it works perfect!
98Omq2Rl.jpg

last but not least, i needed to gain some scene points! but really, the bay needed paint over some welds and rusty spots. the car is a long way from making it to any sort of paint booth, so she got the krylon treatment. i figured id do something bright to have some fun. it looks like crap-ish. i painted it in -20 weather but eh its not a show car, its a go car. the engine bay is gonna get dirty anyways.
bWMJANBl.jpg

Cleaned and shaved the stock truck manifold
oIZFYBcl.jpg

Side by side with the stock one
jRVZ5Z5.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got time to test fit my manifolds and they fit great! Plenty of clearance on my steering shaft. Had to order a straight shaft as the stock one has a rubber dampener which makes it about a 2” in diameter.
HCbiCr7l.jpg

Also dove into routing the harness. I cleaned the harness up and simplified it before hand but now I gotta route it to the passenger side foot well.
oG8Iq27l.jpg

Last edited:
Can you get an adapter for that wheel to the Volvo column, nice wheel or will one for a Grant wheel work , just curious

Can you get an adapter for that wheel to the Volvo column, nice wheel or will one for a Grant wheel work , just curious

Any aftermarket wheel/hub I?ve come across have all been the same 2.75? bolt circle with 10?32 threads. So anything grant/omp/momo/NRG/sparco etc. Should all interchange. I have the momo adapter ben sells mainly because I liked the accordion style boot on it ba the omp one he sells

Tackled the clutch conversion, from cable to hydro tonight.
Shoulda took some before photos, but I never remember

Anyways I ordered a new wilwood 3/4” bore master from amazon. Which lines right up with the existing holes
cU7noGYl.jpg

Luckily for me, Volvo had a hydraulic clutch option on their 280s. So much like vw they just make them all the same and utilize different parts depending on the setup, so everything from the hole in the firewall to another hole option in the pedal box were already there.
So I took the clutch pedal out of the box and moved it up to second set of holes which is 2” higher then the existing ones.
nCEb5Jvl.jpg

So now moving the pedal up 2” would obviously misalign the pedals. So I had to add two inches to length of the pedal. I also had to take the original clevis mount and cut it from the top and make a new longer one and clock it almost 180* to the bottom. This turns the pedal from a “pull” to a “push”.
rca8tOJl.jpg

Drilled a hole and attached he clevis
Ea9PB2Jl.jpg

Here’s the box all done. And pedals sitting perfectly level.
DfW9owLl.jpg

Mounted back in the car
fN0IlaVl.jpg

This fits like it’s made to be there
Q3zT5h5l.jpg

Been a while since I updated. Got all the new seals in and engine back in. Should be in for good now. Clutch and fly wheel are all on and everything?s torqued up.
GK9Ci3Hl.jpg

s4MWFF3l.jpg

XZVfF6vl.jpg

Relocated the battery to the trunk
Picked up this generic weld in battery tray at the local parts store
OafJ1Oll.jpg

did some cutting a moving and it fit in there perfect
42z7u4vl.jpg

g0jFuZ7l.jpg

ht4BvPsl.jpg

To supply/divide power I used a distribution block from a vw tdi the battery wore feeds in from the right and powers all my 12v live wires. I opened up the box and cut the bus bar at the last post. This means that last post and fuses aren?t getting power. I then ran I wire from the ignition to the post. This makes those three fuses hot on ?run? so those power my injectors/coils, MAF/O2s and pcm ign power
rOgW0mql.jpg

Back