• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

^Maybe replace the hooped shift bushings while you're at it?

As long as you are suffering with that miserable boot have fun with the likely rubbed through reverse lamp wiring and trying to get the boot back in without pulling or ripping the carpet.

Thanks guys! I'll give it a go.

Scored some used lights, a working speedo, a grille and various clips and fasteners today. Slow and steady wins the race...

001-M.jpg

Hitting the Craigslist and local salvage yards for bits and pieces. Lift gate struts are finally in. Found this sweet hitch plug and some clean trim panels and wiper arms (with the plastic covers intact). Also the radiator support grommet for the air intake and a front bumper extension post, etc. Got stuck in traffic for an hour with no overheat. Yeah!

002-M.jpg

031-M.jpg

008-M.jpg

Is there any benefit to running a "torque strap" (cable) from the top of the engine to an anchor someplace? For the modest power, these engines do move around a bit.

How is the spare tire anchored? I found a rubber strap with two hooks in the salvage yard, but I'm not sure if it's for the spare.

Well, I'm embarrassed to show my dirty car next to your pristine car, but here goes:

I am 90% on the lower anchor point.

025-M.jpg

028-M.jpg

Not so sure on the upper. I did find this cut out in the fender pinch weld. The only discrepancy is that the band is slack in that position. If this is the correct location, an adjustment of the band would be simple enough.

027-M.jpg

To get the band snug, I've got it attached to this rail on the quarter, which doesn't look quite right.

029-M.jpg

Well, I'm embarrassed to show my dirty car next to your pristine car, but here goes:

I am 90% on the lower anchor point.

Not so sure on the upper. I did find this cut out in the fender pinch weld. The only discrepancy is that the band is slack in that position. If this is the correct location, an adjustment of the band would be simple enough.

To get the band snug, I've got it attached to this rail on the quarter, which doesn't look quite right.

:lol:
That was my 83 when I cleaned some surface rust, primed and painted the butt cheeks with white appliance epoxy.

Last edited:
OK. Next problem...

I have three gauge clusters: The original, broken electric speedo / no tach. An old cable speedo with a tach. And a "working" electric speedo with tach.

I swapped in the "working" electric speedo / tach unit and the car would not run. So I unplugged everything and it ran. So, then took the tach out of analogue speedo assembly and put that in the original broken electric speedo and it runs, has a functioning tach, but still has the broken speedo.

So, why wouldn't the car run with the second gauge cluster? Was it grounding out the ignition?

Went to the land fill transfer station. She went across the scales at 3250 lbs with driver and passenger. So maybe 2950 lbs for the car. Does that sound about right?

002-M.jpg

Back