• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Eco-Bricks - 35+mpg club

14?F (-10?C)

1993-245 , LH 2.4, with Bosch 0 280 155 746 Injectors....5w-30 synthetic oil

Key switch to on....wait about two seconds to prime fuel rail...key switch to start...normal startup

IIRC, last year, 245 took a few extra cranks to fire up in colder weather.

You forgot to mention the main reason your gas mileage has dropped... It's cold out and the engine takes longer to warm up, so it's in warm up mode longer(aka, uses more fuel).

1993-944 with Regina, which is a Speed Density fuel injection system, and it measures inlet air temperature. I had removed heated exhaust-air-tube since air-box thermostat is not working.

Today, fuel mileage went up some 5-mpg (US) when I hooked air-tube direct to exhaust port for it. I bought an Acurite wireless weather therometer and inserted wireless sensor into air box. Around 32?F (0?C) at 55 mph, inlet air was running around 100?F (38?C) on level ground, and upto 111?F (44?C) in hilly terrain.

Hence, cold inlet air temperature was increasing the fuel burn.

1993-944 with Regina, which is a Speed Density fuel injection system, and it measures inlet air temperature. I had removed heated exhaust-air-tube since air-box thermostat is not working.

Today, fuel mileage went up some 5-mpg (US) when I hooked air-tube direct to exhaust port for it. I bought an Acurite wireless weather therometer and inserted wireless sensor into air box. Around 32?F (0?C) at 55 mph, inlet air was running around 100?F (38?C) on level ground, and upto 111?F (44?C) in hilly terrain.

Hence, cold inlet air temperature was increasing the fuel burn.
It makes sense that the engine warming up faster will reduce the amount of time that it's in warm-up enrichment, thus providing better gas mileage. How is the power change? Any noticeable difference? Do you/did you install a new thermostat in the airbox so that it stops the hot air intake when the engine is warm? Some of these engines will detonate if they're still getting hot air when warmed up, at least on LH. I don't know if Regina gets around it.

Do you/did you install a new thermostat in the airbox.

Yes, but air-inlet duct is now plumbed next to radiator air flow, near top of fan's radiator duct; I really don't like full exhaust heat.

On really cold days, -8?F, traveling around 30 mph, it takes some four miles to bring engine up to normal run temperature.

Mileage varies between 25-30mpg...all depending upon terrain, wind, speed, temperature, etc.

Engine is a rebuilt 1984 B23F inserted into a 1993 944 with Rex-I/Regina. This is a higher compression B23F engine, btw. I'm not a power stomper, but power is better than 1993-245.

Yes, but air-inlet duct is now plumbed next to radiator air flow, near top of fan's radiator duct; I really don't like full exhaust heat.

On really cold days, -8?F, traveling around 30 mph, it takes some four miles to bring engine up to normal run temperature.

Mileage varies between 25-30mpg...all depending upon terrain, wind, speed, temperature, etc.

Engine is a rebuilt 1984 B23F inserted into a 1993 944 with Rex-I/Regina. This is a higher compression B23F engine, btw. I'm not a power stomper, but power is better than 1993-245.
Cool. What camshaft do you have in it? Stock or thinner headgasket?

engine warming up faster .... Regina...

Side note - With 0w-40, vehicle sitting overnight, primed fuel rail (ignition on for several seconds) and a cold -10?F, engine snaps to life, just like on warmer starts.

LH 2.4 does not ignite until several cranks later...

My 2.8 V6 GM has to roll the crank several times, and then takes about 5 seconds to get up to idle RPM....but its a 300k engine.

Interesting. A couple friends have LH cars that have a weird extended crank thing, too. I don't know if what you're describing is normal but it's hard to say without being there.

I just got 28 MPG on my last round trip to my parent's place. I was driving like a pansy though

Last edited:
Back