• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 740 Sudden death- Loud fuel pump suddenly quiet.

morganpartee

So, car died on me yesterday. Cruised from ~50 to stopped, watched the RPM's drop until the motor died, and I noticed everything went really quiet. My fuel pump has been LOUD since I've had the car, and now triggering it with my fingers on the relay contacts causes just a quiet whir.

I've swapped relays, and done some simple swap-troubleshooting with the wagon, got nothing. Tach bounces when cranking, so I'm leaning towards fuel.

Am I right in thinking this thing probably **** a fuel pump? Never had one fail before...

Tap the pump while it should work. It probably can't start on its own because the commutator is so worn-out.

In our family Opel Astra F (Vauxhall in UK) the intank pump failed about 5 years ago, it got a junkyard unit and that failed also two months ago. We still daily the car with that, and whenever the pump cant start we just hammer the whole gas tank to help the pump getting up to operating rpm. :rofl:
It will get a refurbrished tank (due to rust) and a brand new Bosch pump in a few weeks, it can crap itself totally in any minute.

I would think so, but the car has run fine the two years I've had it. Weirder to me that it's super quiet now.

With a dead in-tank it'd still start though, right?

It may start, if the inline pump is operating at 100%. It's going to run like a turd especially under load and you're just waiting until it eventually dies and leaves you stranded on the side of the road. You want to replace the burnt out pump ASAP before the additional workload burns out your other pump. You might even want to just do both at the same time because running it with only one pump can lead you to enter an endless cycle of replacing burnt out pumps.

Running without an intank pump is going to wear out your inline pump, your now worn out inline pump is going to wear out your new intank pump, your now worn out new intank pump is going to wear out your new inline pump... Been there. :)

Replacing one pump then the other has left me stranded about 3-4 times until I just did them both.

Well, damn it haha. I'm going to swap the inline pump tonight and go from there. May try jumping them first.

Argh, what a PITA. I miss LH2.4's vague ass codes.

Back