• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

R brake upgrade - adjusting MC push rod

I wonder if these long brackets help the vibration as well that is a OE part it looks like a travel stop but may do more

I think i still have them and the hardware if i can make them fit i will try them out

117734617-500x500.jpg

Ugh brake squeal can be the worst. I had the porsche 993 set on my t5r before I switched to Stoptechs. They were great and quiet, I moved them over to Theresa's 850R (the 993s) and no combo of pad or disc would stop them from squealing in the worst way. I could literally hear the car coming 2 blocks away.

Literally fine on one car, squealed on the other. Drove me insane.

Akebono pads don't squeal on Powerstop rotors either, I have the drilled/slotted ones on 3 of my cars. You can hear clicking over the rotor slots though while braking.

Ugh brake squeal can be the worst. I had the porsche 993 set on my t5r before I switched to Stoptechs. They were great and quiet, I moved them over to Theresa's 850R (the 993s) and no combo of pad or disc would stop them from squealing in the worst way. I could literally hear the car coming 2 blocks away.

Literally fine on one car, squealed on the other. Drove me insane.

My friends would know which car I was driving a few blocks away when we would meet for dinner with my squeal.

Fwiw I made my own ats brembo adapters and used wilwood shims to dial them in so they are dead straight, OEM ac Delco pads and Volvo rotors from the parts house that I chucked up in the brake lathe as soon as I got them to make sure they are straight. Probably around 35k-40k on the car and I have had 0 squeeks on it. The think the caliper being dialed in straight is the biggest issue.

Any idea whats causing the back to break?

Lots of theories; the first one we broke was on an axle where the brake ears probably weren't square (we had to shim the caliper to get good pad:rotor alignment), so it seemed reasonable to pin the blame on the caliper flexing the bracket as it clamped the rotor.

Second time we had the rear end shop check the true on the whole axle including the ears and verified that the pistons were true to the rotor & didn't load the bracket when brake pressure was applied, so that wasn't it that time around.

The car has modern ABS, race pads, and we run sticky (but still street) tires, so there is probably a lot more rear brake effect going on vs. a normal 240 (where the back will tend to step out on you as you really get into the brakes). The ABS modulation in particular is probably asking a lot of the bracket.

Scott was adamant that he's never seen one break before, and I have no reason to doubt him, but if your idea of a good weekend is winning braking duels with Miatas and E30s my current advice would be to get a set in steel.

With all new lines, the R brakes without the Mustang MC feels like nice stock brakes in my car. I just finished the push rod extension you need, here's a pic. Both sides are rounded so you have to take that into the measurements, and I rounded off the top by hand/dremel.
Wilwood p/n 300-13885
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-300-13885

BSCJfr6l.jpg

picture and link worth a thousand words. need to do this as well

I made another one of those tonight for my other 242 (for Brembo Z17 brakes), but after cutting it down I used a sanding drum in my drill press to round it off, easier to keep it round. Low tech fabricating in my home garage... :volvo:

We are having shims made for our brackets, see if they make a difference. None of our cars squeal. my buddies car squeals at low force braking. He is going to try them out.

Mine didn't squeal at first, but after a couple of days it has become horrendous. Keep us posted on the shims! I'm happy to be a lab rat for these!

Back