• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Quick question

oldschoolvolvo

When I am idling and I pump the brakes, the engine raises its idle from ~1000rpm to ~2000rpm. When I stop pumping the brakes it returns to 1000rpm. Just wondering if this is normal. (It doesn't affect how the car drives, just something I noticed) Thanks in advance.

The only way the brakes really affect engine performance, from my knowledge, is the vacuum needed to operate the power brake booster. There is a plastic circular check valve in the large vacuum line to the booster, at the booster end. I really don't know how to check it, but if you have another lying around, try popping that in and see if it fixes your problem. And obviously check for cracks and the condition of that vacuum line, its big, you'll see it right away.

I would guess this is it.

Let us know,

smith

oldschoolvolvo said:
Checked the big vacuum line...no cracks. Don't have an extra check valve, but thanks for the info. O well...I was just curious.

Check valve should let air through one way and not the other.

It should let air FROM the booster TO the engine.

oldschoolvolvo said:
So are you saying I should get a new one?

No, because I have no idea what (if anything) your valve is doing.

I'm just letting you know what it is supposed to do, so you can check to see whether it's working - and if not, you should indeed get a new one.

The other approach is to just get a new one and see if that fixes your problem - but random component replacement can quickly become an expensive way to fix a problem.

tim

sure the engine has to replace the vacuum in the booster all my cars do that repeatedly pumping the pedal will make it idle up

Back