• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cost/Checklist for a T5 Swap

Mr Yuck

<><
EDIT EDIT: See below, I found a candidate for my tranny, it's from a '93 5.0 stang, but it's not world class.

EDIT: Just found this page
http://www.aaronreedbaker.com/t5swap.html
Parts/procedure checklist are good, but I am not keen on doing it myself, so I'm still wondering what kind of labor costs I'll be looking at?

M47 in my 245 is toast, I don't have the patience, facilities, or skill to fix it myself, so I'm thinking take it to a shop to have a T5 installed.

Parts to make trans fit:
Kaplhenke
--Adapter: $150
V-Performance
--Modifications to cable type clutch forks with dowel pins for use with Ford type release bearings - $20 --Required spacers for above - $20
--Ford release bearings - $60
--Special pilot bearings for use w/ the T5 from 5L Mustang $25
--T5 Slider Yoke - $65
--Clutch disc with splines to match the T5 - $140

Local:
Buy Trans -- Maybe this one
Machine Bellhousing - Cost?
Putting everything together - Cost?

Flywheel? Or can I use stock?

The car's making stock power right now. Right away, I'll install an A-Cam or similar. Will that be good enough to make a tall overdrive gear from a V8 car usable?

Eventually a mild +T

For choosing a T5, what should I look for? The ones from 2.3L cars seem to have gearing closer to my M47, but are only rated for 230-240 ft/lbs vs 265-300 ft/lbs.

Do they have to be from a mustang/t-bird or will they work from a camaro/s10?

Last edited:
I use a 2.3 wc t5 box without any issues. Car makes 430ftlb and gets launched on slicks without any drama to speak of. You don't need any special pilot bearing with the 2.3 trans.

You will have to either get a drive shaft made locally or you can run a fox body mustang drive shaft if you don't plan on having your car slammed to the ground. You can get the adapter from me HERE

I use a 2.3 wc t5 box without any issues. Car makes 430ftlb and gets launched on slicks without any drama to speak of. You don't need any special pilot bearing with the 2.3 trans.

You will have to either get a drive shaft made locally or you can run a fox body mustang drive shaft if you don't plan on having your car slammed to the ground. You can get the adapter from me HERE

I used a $10 pilot bearing from a local parts store, one for a V8 mustang. Taps into the Volvo crank with slight interference fit via gentle hammering.

Add cross member modifications and transmission mount to your list. I forget does '88 have a mechanical speedo or electronic?

V-Performance
--Modifications to cable type clutch forks with dowel pins for use with Ford type release bearings - $20 --Required spacers for above - $20
--Ford release bearings - $60
--Special pilot bearings for use w/ the T5 from 5L Mustang $25
--T5 Slider Yoke - $65
--Clutch disc with splines to match the T5 - $140

Seriously? With all the documented issues people have had dealing with this guy, people are still willing to send him money? Yikes...

Add cross member modifications and transmission mount to your list.
I spent $9 on mine. Got a 164 motor mount from IPD. I trimmed the base plate on the mount so it would bolt to my cross member. Then I fashioned a piece to bolt to the transmission to allow me to bolt the trans to the mount. Flat piece of 1/4" aluminum scrap I had, and a piece of scrap angle iron.

http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/image/128569276.jpg

I posted my price list in my project thread...about 20 pages ago. I'll see if I can find it.

found it:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=3365636&postcount=1023

Shift fork adaptation was done by Ben and I. He made some rectangular brass blocks that fit over the pegs on an M46 shift fork. They fit precisely into the outer edge of the release bearing. Then I just had to shorten the pegs on the clutch fork because the diameter of the release bearing is too large to fit between the pegs. Angle grinder does a good job with a cutoff disc.

pics: http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/240&page=27

My highly sophisticated and stunningly aesthetically designed trans mount:
IMG_6519.JPG

I took the mount bracket off my dead M47, and bolted it to a stout piece of angle iron, cut to length. 10 minutes with an angle grinder and a drill. I did position the trans in the tunnel before marking and drilling the holes mounting the bracket to the angle iron - they aren't on center for whatever reason.

If ya use the Avalanche adapter, the TO bearing is stock, the release fork is stock, no drama. Just work the driveshaft and go.

Good pix on the crossmember, John, thanks.

I got a new, WC, close ratio, T5 with a .80 5th from Bruce at Modern Driveline. Had Dale drop ship the the input bearing retainer and Bruce and crew installed such and set up the clearances.

Call Dale already! His parts and advice are top notch. He got me pointed in the right direction and I was recokvering from a stroke for peet'ssake!

beel

If ya use the Avalanche adapter, the TO bearing is stock, the release fork is stock, no drama. Just work the driveshaft and go.

Call Dale already! His parts and advice are top notch. He got me pointed in the right direction and I was recokvering from a stroke for peet'ssake!

This.

You're going about it the way that people did 2yrs ago. Get with the times.

yeah, if i had waited like 5 years to do my t5 i wouldda saved some coin. now if some one would just make pre fabed drive shaft front halfs for the 740 and a better way to locate the shifter id spend more money.

Good pix on the crossmember, John, thanks.

I got a new, WC, close ratio, T5 with a .80 5th from Bruce at Modern Driveline. Had Dale drop ship the the input bearing retainer and Bruce and crew installed such and set up the clearances.

beel

Don't get the 4 banger T5 if you want to use the Avalanche kit....his kit is for the V8 and V6 units , unless he started to make new bearing carrier/plate

I have Dale's kit too, it's great. The fit is excellent, the parts are all off-the-shelf and in stock at any parts house EXCEPT for the clutch disc.

I also have Josh's driveshaft adapter, the one that allows the use of a Mustang driveshaft behind a Mustang t-5 in a 240.

Seriously? With all the documented issues people have had dealing with this guy, people are still willing to send him money? Yikes...

:e-shrug:

That's why I made the thread. I didn't actually start looking into a T5 till I found that non-broken M47s are impossible to find locally. V-Performance was a page that had everything there and all the necessary parts.

Other solutions are always welcome, seems that the only non-craigslist flake I can find is a guy selling T5s from 4cyl cars. Nobody else replies to my emails or leaves phone numbers.

The main piece of info I'm looking for is a labor cost estimate.

I may have found me a gearbox:
According to the owner, it's rebuilt, out of a '93 Foxbody Mustang GT with the 5.0. Comes with a brand new clutch and throwout bearing and he's asking $400.
The tag reads: 13-52-065 and it's NOT a World Class. Is that a dealbreaker?

So by this page, it should have 3:35 1st gear and 0.68 5th gear.

Am I correct to assume it will bolt right up with my M47 clutch fork with an Avalanche adapter and all I'll need is a mustang driveshaft and adapter? (Just use the clutch disk he supplies and get ahold of a good stock M47 TO bearing?)

Stock Volvo flywheel will work? If so, I'm considering snagging up a lightened flywheel if I can find one on here.

Seems too easy.

Last edited:
Ummm, not so sure on that clutch disc dude...

It's got to be the same diameter as your Volvo clutch, just with splines for the Mustang input shaft...maybe a custom order from ClutchNet.

Hella people will argue that the tranny not being a World Class is a deal breaker, but I wouldn't really know. I've heard the non World Class units are pretty tough too.

Dale's adapter kit will get you pretty far, in terms of getting it mounted to the redblock, and Josh's driveshaft adapter is beautiful...got mine today! Then you just have to figure out your tranny cross member.

Back