• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pre-purchase inspection, who to use?

olddaddy

We are looking at a couple of very nice and pricey Volvo wagons that are out of our area. Has anyone here used any pre-purchase companies or people that you would recommend? I'd want a pretty thorough inspection by someone who knows what they are doing and who knows Volvos, before buying long distance and sight unseen. Thanks!

I've been in your shoes a couple times and don't have the silver bullet yet. Two thoughts 1) take a vacation in the right place and 2) buy the seller and the car's history at least as much as you buy the apparent condition of the car. Good signs:

- Cars owned by few people and the last owner for more than 4 years. Older owners.
- Owners who maintained the car over years (vs. fixed a bunch of stuff just before selling it); records are nice.
- Cars that have lived in salt free zones are _way_ better (I prefer CA cars).
- Cars that are currently being used regularly. Months and years of sitting, even when garaged, harm seals and interiors.

FWIW

I consider the body, interior, and "little stuff" way more important than the suspension and drive train. Mechanicals can be replaced good or better than new. The body, however, is on a one way trip to the junk yard because essentially nobody repairs sheet metal back to factory quality, even "vintage" factory quality. Bits and pieces of trim and interior can be very hard to find.

So far we have looked closely at a V50, V70 and a V40, but all three were sold before we could make a move on a purchase due to us being out of the area. We are looking at a local XC90 tomorrow, 03 model 5 cylinder, 2wd with 95K. Owner is a Volvo shop who have serviced the car for 9 years before the Seller traded it in on a newer model. Always a Florida car so, we are hopeful.

Back