• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to tow a car 80 mi

ok so back to this, the dolly is for fwd cars they say, as the front wheels should be on the dolly. But for me, as the trans is shot anyway, if I tow it rear wheels down with a dolly what can happen to the car, nada I believe.
If I go with rear wheels on dolly, the steering lock should cover the front wheels staying straight, correct?

Re: trailer sway, when I moved out here from Boston I pulled a small hard body camper full of my stuff. I was misled as to the weight of the trailer, so was WAY overloaded. But I was pulling it with an NA 240 so all was well. Never mind those trucks going up some hills, complaining about my 34mph. :cool:
Anyway, when I first started out the camper was swaying violently across a lane and a half. That was fairly scary actually :omg:
and I got an antisway device which was basically a friction device; it worked great.

Better remove the driveline because the trans fluid pump is not turning and you can actually seize up hard parts.

Not fun trying to control a skidding heavy volvo at 55mph

ok so back to this, the dolly is for fwd cars they say, as the front wheels should be on the dolly. But for me, as the trans is shot anyway, if I tow it rear wheels down with a dolly what can happen to the car, nada I believe.
If I go with rear wheels on dolly, the steering lock should cover the front wheels staying straight, correct?

Re: trailer sway, when I moved out here from Boston I pulled a small hard body camper full of my stuff. I was misled as to the weight of the trailer, so was WAY overloaded. But I was pulling it with an NA 240 so all was well. Never mind those trucks going up some hills, complaining about my 34mph. :cool:
Anyway, when I first started out the camper was swaying violently across a lane and a half. That was fairly scary actually :omg:
and I got an antisway device which was basically a friction device; it worked great.

Mark and drop the driveshaft. Iirc uhaul even says that online, i recall seeing that because ill be renting a trailer or dolly in the next week.

There's a good reason Uhaul wants to know what you're towing and what you're towing it with.
I once put a 70 Lemans on a dolly behind a 72 Chevy half ton pickup to tow to the farm I'd just bought 50 miles away. I dropped the car off at my dad's place after 10 miles of swerving all over the road if I went over about 45mph.
At age 24 I just got the cheap dolly instead of a few more bucks for a trailer.

Your load was on wrong or something. It should not swerve on a dolly. A miss load on a trailer-yes. Towed a 66 caprice 4 door big block car on a trailer backwards from alabama to michigan. Half ton long box 4x4 305tbi stick. It would sway above 60- bad. So I always had to be on my toes. Lets just say I got some real good experience, lol. The car was too heavy for the truck to be loaded forward so it went on backwards. My dad made me drive it so I learned the hardway. Made it safe and sound though.

uhaul wont rent you a trailer unless you have a 3/4ton truck.

you cant rent one of theyre pickups to haul the trailer, that means you have to rent a van too.

i drive alot and i see alot of people with the uhaul van/trailer setup.

that will cost you atleast $100 plus the 8mpg you will get, no winch either. but i like the uhaul trailers for what they are (galv steel not aluminum)

or you can pay someone to haul it and let them deal with it :-D

Uhhh all the uhaul pickups are half tons. Not 3/4. Ive rented their trailers with a half ton 4x4 shortbox, no problems. The trailers are heavy though. I get about 10-12mph with the F150's they have. But yes a 3/4 ton will get you to tow most anything pretty much.

Jack towed a car from sf to oroville with auto trans in neutral, he had no problems. Of course he didnt drive it yet, lol.

Last edited:
AAA pays for the hookup and up to X miles.... You pay for extra mileage.

Or just call AAA and up the membership for like $50 to get the 100 miles towing...

(not directed at JohnLane)
I swear, TB makes easy things difficult. Let's not go with the cheaper, easier, less headache option.

Well if someone wasn't so cheap this thread would have never been started.

Yeah call AAA and pay the upgrade fee. You have to wait 24 or 48 hours to tow.

Even if you had a 50mile tow the company would end up charging you $5-10 a mile.

Theres a reason why automatics being towed by motorhomes have fluid pumps for trans fluid

Sup guise

12282593893_71a009d578_k.jpg

Ala AAA premier 200miles ftw after cooking the aw

9755643174_3c77685673_k.jpg

Flat tow Ala harbor freight tow bar after a nice long night in the hot tag.

20803510435_7197e676f7_k.jpg

And for those extra long 250 mile trips going through the hot Nevada desert when a roached out 245 with out a/c just won't cut it.

I use my tow bar now. Jeff is brave not using a brace on the bumper shocks there or welding them up. I built one but put a brace on the backside and welded the shocks. Tows awesome.
What nobody here has money or wants to do work?, lol
Still have that yellow wagon?

I use my tow bar now. Jeff is brave not using a brace on the bumper shocks there or welding them up. I built one but put a brace on the backside and welded the shocks. Tows awesome.

Ya still have yellow wagon that needs a buff.

I have a commando set up for the tow bar I bolted on the silver car.

If you do straight bumper shocks then you hAbe to worry about the shock spinning and binding on turns. Those shocks don't pop out. And if they do you hAbe the safety chains.

11275130455_ee9dd7d895_k.jpg

Hey 122 Power I get your point about loading a trailer wrong. But I was using a dolly. Pretty hard to not hit the right spot on a dolly. :)
Looking back the car was a 70 Lemans and the truck was a 70-72 Chevy half ton. But that truck had that coil spring rear suspension. They didn't build those very long for a reason.

So I got AAA. I'll be calling for a tow Sat AM. I want it on a flatbed not a dolly or a hook, is there anything I can/should do to insure that, or is a flatbed what they use for distance always?

Request a flatbed. I've always done that, only had 1 issue with them not complying the first time, so they sent a fb the second time.

That said, expect a wait. I tried getting the Dodge towed to Benecia from Sac, they couldn't find a company to do it due to the distance. Filed a formal complaint, never heard back, other than they were looking into it.

Oh, and no, you cannot schedule ahead of time, I tried.

Request a flatbed. I've always done that, only had 1 issue with them not complying the first time, so they sent a fb the second time.

That said, expect a wait. I tried getting the Dodge towed to Benecia from Sac, they couldn't find a company to do it due to the distance. Filed a formal complaint, never heard back, other than they were looking into it.

Oh, and no, you cannot schedule ahead of time, I tried.

Worked perfect, Thanks!

AAA PLUS, right?

You have to be with that car you want to tow when the tow truck shows up.

Yep, went fine, thank you!

AAA premier.

Nah, I thought Plus was enough, although 200 mi was tempting.

Need to flat tow my 242 in the next few months before I put the motor and transmission back in, think it'll be okay without that extra weight up front? About 150 miles round trip.

Back