• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

school me on mitsu turbos...

superboosted

You wish you had some..
I have a 94 940. It came with a td04 13c. Its beat. And apart. What is the easiest way to upgrade while keeping my stock downpipe and manifold configuration? Is it like a Garrett where I can just change the front wheel and housing for a slight increase in flow? Does a 15g just bolt on? I have never played with anything but garetts and I am confused by Mitsubishi stuff,and I am sort of under the gun as this car is my daily.. that ks in advance.;-)

You should be able to just swap the chra and housing. You would need to grind off the locating pin and reclock it so it is orientated the correct way, a broom handle does the trick.

You can get a 15g that will bolt up to your downpipe from a junkyard. Look for the turbine housing with a downpipe flange that matches your stock one. You don't have to worry about manifold, it will bolt to that just fine too.
You won't be able to run more than 16-18psi with the stock chips(i wasn't able to anyway). Personally I like the mitsubishi's better than garrets because they are easier to rebuild due to the fact that they have a v-band instead of bolts holding the turbine housing to the center section.

take the turbine because you'll need it and take the downpipe in case you want it later. thats what I did. I also took the injectors but ended up not using them.

Last edited:
It's not too bad, here's a quick rundown:
TD04 is the series of turbo, the bigger the number, the bigger the turbo.
TD04 is the smallest TD04, then TD04L, TD04H, and TD04HL. The letters after the 4 dictate the size of the turbine, each have their specifically sized exhaust housing. Any TD04HL cartridge will fit into any TD04HL exhaust housing, but not into a different suffixed/sized exhaust housing. The end of the code, -13C is the size of the compressor wheel and housing. If you upgrade the compressor wheel, you need to upgrade your housing, or get your current one machined to fit the newer blade.

There's more to be known about converting a flatback TD04H-13C to run superback compressors, but you'd be better off picking up a superback TD04HL to begin with, as the bigger exhaust housing (especially the angled 7cm housing) will allow for better flow.

TD05 turbos are bigger, and the same principles apply to them.

Another option? If you can't find a 15g with a conical outlet, clean up your 13c shaft, replace the rear seal, the shove that through the 15g. It will fit into your existing housing and your downpipe problem will cease to exist.

I ran a setup like this for two years and had a good ole time with it.

Another option? If you can't find a 15g with a conical outlet, clean up your 13c shaft, replace the rear seal, the shove that through the 15g. It will fit into your existing housing and your downpipe problem will cease to exist.

Does that by any chance spool a little faster than the td04HL-15g since the turbine housing is slightly smaller?

Does that by any chance spool a little faster than the td04HL-15g since the turbine housing is slightly smaller?

If it does, I doubt it's an appreciable difference. My conical 15G is in boost by 2,500 at the latest, which is where my 13C was as well.

Given that it's smaller, there would have to be a quicker spool up, with the associated earlier onset of being a bottle neck near the top end.

I OTOH have never experienced it as I never ran the standard HL housings. After this turbo, I just ran TD05's and Garretts.

I will say that a good MBC makes a noticeable difference in spool.

I ran a setup like this for two years and had a good ole time with it.

if i had a good 13c turbine wheel that is..:grrr: dropped on the garage floor.

Back