• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Tires for Hydras.. What should I get?

KBFinFan

Hey guys, I haven't posted in the perfomance section in a while, So hello again.

I finally got my Hydras for $200 (w/ eh treaded tires and no caps), which I still think is pretty decent. Now, tomorrow and tonight I will begin my search for new tires. I run Winter tires so I am looking for a Summer tire that is affordable while at the same time having a good deal of performance qualities. I have been looking at the Kumho Ectas Supra's which seem like a deal with a mildy agressive tread, and tirerack users seem to give them very positive reviews. So what do you guys think?

Also. 205/55? 215/55? 225/50? Ya get the drift... what size?

I was thinking either 205 or 215 by 50.

Thanks again (and if anyone is interested in my Dracos w/o caps and 50% tread yokohoma tires let me know.. I'll sell them officially soon)

Thanks as always everyone!

You'd be fine with 205's or 215's.

In fact unless you're insane you'll be fine with some nice quality 205/55s.
As far as brand the Kumhos you're looking at are probably more tire than your car needs. Which is perfect! :x:

Note: I'm insane and am looking at 215s for mine. :freak:
Not that the tires make me insane. My driving habits do. But I do love volvo, and this is currently the only car I've got until the motorcycle budget kicks back in. :grrr:

Now a question for you:

I'm looking into some 15" turbo wheels (virgos?) Will I need spacers to keep these on? I've seen this site

http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh110/wheel_spacers.htm

Which says 20MM spacers are ideal.

What's up with this? I'd be glad to put down some $$$ on some spacers for a little lateral G upgrade.

Comments?

Thanks

_z

I don't know what is going on w/ the spacers and virgos, as far as I know you just bolt them right on

So... what other tires?

Kuhmo??

DON"T get them, they are shit.

they only one that I consider alrite is the MX.

I've had the 712, worst high performance tires ever, I spin even launch @ 2000rpm, they just BLOW, they are alright if ur car is underpower, but most likely not.

and as far as MX, that thing is too expensive, I'm using 225/50/16 Dunlop FM901, which makes my speedometer about 0.08751830% off, and they are freaking awsome, I got 2.1 60feet time last time.

and they are on my Hydras.

my 225x50x16 rub like mad on my hydras. I would only get them if you can exchange them for a smaller size. I get rubbing at the front of the wheel well, the rear of the wheel well, and on my sway bars. I havent tried fitting them in the rear. They just barely fit onto the 6.5" width rims too.

I recently got a pair of used 225x50x16 i needed tires for the thunderhill race, and i didnt want new greezy tires. It's a good thing i got used tires because i would be stuck with new tires that rub bad. Look for video of me burrning off the old rubber in the near future.

I think falken azenis are the tires that will replace my current rubber. although the only suitable size they make is 205x55x16 which is the recommended size for the rims.

Don't you guys like going lower profile. Like 205/45 215/40? I'm needing some new tires. Thinking of getting something like that. Like how it will lower the car about an inch. Will it look funny that way, unless the car is lowered as well?? I mean, much bigger gap in wheel well?

How much lower profile can I go to make the car a little lower, have thin tires, and not big gaps at the wheel wells without using lowering springs or whatever....?

switching from stock to 205/55/16's made my wheel wells unbearably empty. iPd springs do the trick very nicely, now my 16's are tucked neatly up in the wells. although now i want 17s....icky.....

I'm probably gonna get some 205/55/16 good year eagle F1s. they seem like enough tire for the car, and they have rave reviews for their rain traction, witch is good cause this is afterall an all weather, daily driver.
Plus they aren't toooo expensive.

-Jonathan

JonnyScorch said:
I'm probably gonna get some 205/55/16 good year eagle F1s. they seem like enough tire for the car, and they have rave reviews for their rain traction, witch is good cause this is afterall an all weather, daily driver.
Plus they aren't toooo expensive.

-Jonathan

:werd: i've been using 205/55ZR15 eagle F1's on mine and i can maintain the 60MPH (rain or shine) limit down backroad twisty's with no problems only having to slow for the occansional really tight bend. and they cheapest place i found to buy them was, my local volvo dealer ?62+tax and free fitting+balance

if that seems a bit much, well a 205/65T15 goodyear GT2 for the MPV's at work go for ?60+tax at the local tyre fitter near work. and the same place quoted me ?95 for the F1's

I actually liked my Kumho supra ectsa's. But it has to be the 712's, do not get the 711's they are single ply side walls. Easy to roll side walls in the twistys. IMHO.

Back