• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

is megaquirt still the norm?

Idle is about the only place you'd notice a substantial difference with sequential fueling, esp with only 60lb/hr injectors. seq. ignition (and wasted spark if coming from distributor) brings more to the table in general. Microsquirt is nice because it's cheap and brings more to the table than the oem system without necessitating a full re-wire.

In general, AEM's bread and butter is more of the stock ecu replacement variety than it is the replacement harness standalone. the infinity stuff has not been particularly well received in the tuner market (a market that is rapidly becoming over saturated with options)

I think if I had my druthers across some of the minimal featured systems, I'd rather have a maxxecu.

I think if I had my druthers across some of the minimal featured systems, I'd rather have a maxxecu.

The cheapest Maxxecu is still twice the cost of a Microsquirt, right? I guess it's still cheap at around $700 and seems to do more than Micro.

I'm planning on wiring a new harness anyway, would you still pick Micro for an entry level ECU to coax 350hp out of a stockish redblock?

It all depends what you want to do with the uS (microsquirt) ECU.
uS has a limited number of outputs, so that kind of puts you in a box. There's limited idle speed control, and limited ignition and injector drivers.
As far as HP, the ECU doesn't really have anything to do with that :)

The rally car uses a very simple uS setup, and should be in the ~350hp range with the boost set to 30psi. It handles 15-30psi without any issues... so far.

If I were to pick anything right now, it would be a Maxxecu. If you don't need the bells and whistles, a Microsquirt would fit the bill as well. I would not recommend Ms3Pro or the OG DIY boxes as there are better options for comparable money (again, Maxxecu).

In general, AEM's bread and butter is more of the stock ecu replacement variety than it is the replacement harness standalone. the infinity stuff has not been particularly well received in the tuner market (a market that is rapidly becoming over saturated with options)

I'm not sure where you've been but AEM only does standalone, with optional patch harnesses for select applications. Where I'm from the Infinity is highly regarded.

It all depends what you want to do with the uS (microsquirt) ECU.
uS has a limited number of outputs, so that kind of puts you in a box. There's limited idle speed control, and limited ignition and injector drivers.
As far as HP, the ECU doesn't really have anything to do with that :)

The rally car uses a very simple uS setup, and should be in the ~350hp range with the boost set to 30psi. It handles 15-30psi without any issues... so far.

Yeah, I guess I only referenced a power target to give an idea of injector size. I have 60lb Dekas that I'm hoping will get me to my goal. I'm under the impression that those are not really big enough to NEED sequential injection for a nice idle and partial throttle cruising. That said, I think I'm pretty sensitive to those things, and may want to have the ability to do sequential injection, just in case. Also, I think I'd like to control boost and possibly water/meth injection through the ECU. So that makes me think that maybe the cheapest Maxxecu is a good option.

If I were to pick anything right now, it would be a Maxxecu. If you don't need the bells and whistles, a Microsquirt would fit the bill as well. I would not recommend Ms3Pro or the OG DIY boxes as there are better options for comparable money (again, Maxxecu).

Another vote for Maxxecu. Interesting.

I'd still go AEM EMS4, it's less expensive than maxxecu, and by default is setup to handle ebc, water/meth, knock, seq inj/ ign, VR sensors, DAM CAS (for the b21 guys), anti lag, and pwm idle. I include pwm idle as I had the most issues in megasquirt w/my idle

Another vote for Maxxecu. Interesting.

MaxxECU has my vote too. Excellent quality, many options, support is good, choice of different models, good reviews.. All in favor of Maxx. Probably one can get similar features for lower price but its not that big of a difference (considered Maxxecu has things like WB controller integrated, EGT and stuff, its no-fiddle). And I'd like an ecu thats future proof for a t6 swap thats never going to happen but still.
Their online manual is good too and points put lots of possibilities. Curious when they will offer their PDM, could be cool for those who want to completely re-wire their car.

I'd still go AEM EMS4, it's less expensive than maxxecu, and by default is setup to handle ebc, water/meth, knock, seq inj/ ign, VR sensors, DAM CAS (for the b21 guys), anti lag, and pwm idle. I include pwm idle as I had the most issues in megasquirt w/my idle

Oh that's good to know. I wasn't really including AEM in my comparison, because I didn't realize they had a ~$700 level ECU. I'm glad you mentioned knock, because that's an input I'd like, too. Thanks for the tip.

EMS 4 is fine if you don't need extra IO, but the price point is high and I have not heard about the UI to be anything particularly great to justify the cost.

True, cheaper. Does it have WB controller integrated? Not that its a deal breaker when its not integrated but its more stuff to buy, wire and make work. For me its a benefit when its integrated.

EMS 4 is fine if you don't need extra IO, but the price point is high and I have not heard about the UI to be anything particularly great to justify the cost.

I feel the AEM UI is worse than TS. I?ve used Motec, Haltec, TS, and AEM. And I would rate them in that order from easy to PITA.

AEM has O2 controller/ O2 FB, and 8 I/O's plus CANBUS. It also has a VSS input for launch/traction control. I like the AEM UI, it takes a little getting used to, Jonathan Fasking has a great youtube series to help get you up and running.

I'm curious on those that are running a stand alone ecu, if you had the chance to start over would you choose the same ecu with the options available right now? I see cost got brought up a lot and want to bring up some of the hidden costs that might get overlooked like wiring and sensors for those that are thinking of making the leap. I went a bit mad and think I've spent over 500 on sensors, harness, connectors and coils. Anybody have an average cost of everything they've spent after buying there stand alone?

I've been playing with standalones since 1999, and have done the bells-and-whistles route before. In the end, most of them never end up being used so it's just a waste (for me, anyway). Now I'm using a heavily modified MS2 but will be swapping to Speeduino in the fall, when I'm done building it the way I want it. For me, cheapest is best :).

I'd probably still end up w/ EMS4, it seems to be the best balance of price and features, and runs well with stock volvo/ bosch sensors. I ran a stock crank VR sensor, stock coolant, stock TPS, stock ignition (stock igniter & distributor w/ a MSD blaster coil) my stock gauges work, stock VSS (VR) w/ a signal adapter (VR to HALL). I added a MAP (AEM lightly used), EBC solenoid (DIY Autotune), and GM style IAT (DIY also), total cost ~$200. I looked at maxxecu, motec, haltech, and fuel tech. I'm going to switch to LS coils, which I snagged used, and have had my AEM system running for close to 2 years with no issues.

The cheapest Maxxecu is still twice the cost of a Microsquirt, right? I guess it's still cheap at around $700 and seems to do more than Micro.

I'm planning on wiring a new harness anyway, would you still pick Micro for an entry level ECU to coax 350hp out of a stockish redblock?

at ~$360 you're going to be *very* hard pressed to beat a microsquirt, period. Especially if you consider your time as worth anything (you may be able to build an ms2/v3 cheaper, but you'll have twice the amount of time tied up if not more)

I'm not sure where you've been but AEM only does standalone, with optional patch harnesses for select applications. Where I'm from the Infinity is highly regarded.

yeah, they're stock replacement ecu's as in they replace the stock ecu. Plug and play, if you will (aem v1's, v2's, etc). that's changed somewhat with the infinity, but then I also don't know of a whole lot of tuners that care for the infinity system. Hell I don't know that I've seen anyone around here with an AEM newer than a v2, anything past that has been something else (EMU, etc)

like $20 less box vs box, but the maxx is cheaper by a decent bit if you start talking about the plug and pin kit or unterminated harness. the unterminated harness option is cheaper than just the plug and pin kit with the ems-4. This is for the mini. The maxx street ecu has more coil and injector outputs, built in map, and built in wideband controller, and is ~$150 or so more (With the harness and wideband) than the ems-4. I'm starting to sound like a sales rep---I'm not. I just like the product. FWIW I'm ambivalent about AEM.. I've found in the past there's nothing terribly compelling about them but they're also not awful systems either. The software is aggravating to navigate but I can see why they laid a lot of it out the way they did.

Oh that's good to know. I wasn't really including AEM in my comparison, because I didn't realize they had a ~$700 level ECU. I'm glad you mentioned knock, because that's an input I'd like, too. Thanks for the tip.

meh. knock input is... well, to each their own. I don't generally worry about it, if it's there I may hook it up and look at it, but generally it stays off outside of logging, and even then I normally won't look at it unless I'm confirming something I've seen elsewhere.

I'd probably still end up w/ EMS4, it seems to be the best balance of price and features, and runs well with stock volvo/ bosch sensors. I ran a stock crank VR sensor, stock coolant, stock TPS, stock ignition (stock igniter & distributor w/ a MSD blaster coil) my stock gauges work, stock VSS (VR) w/ a signal adapter (VR to HALL). I added a MAP (AEM lightly used), EBC solenoid (DIY Autotune), and GM style IAT (DIY also), total cost ~$200. I looked at maxxecu, motec, haltech, and fuel tech. I'm going to switch to LS coils, which I snagged used, and have had my AEM system running for close to 2 years with no issues.

That's cool. I'd be disappointed if any of the mentioned systems didn't run for multiple years without issues. the ms3x in the v8 car is going on 8 years in that chassis, and I couldn't tell you when the last time I even saw the box was.. I guess when I installed the L33 in '14/15. Sam's drag car has had an aem v1 in it since like.. geez... 08? 07? I don't even know anymore haha.

Over the years, I've only had a couple customers who have had issues with the volvo pickup sensor on the plug and play setups, and I've found a workaround for that now too, so, YMMV and what not.

at ~$360 you're going to be *very* hard pressed to beat a microsquirt, period. Especially if you consider your time as worth anything (you may be able to build an ms2/v3 cheaper, but you'll have twice the amount of time tied up if not more)

meh. knock input is... well, to each their own. I don't generally worry about it, if it's there I may hook it up and look at it, but generally it stays off outside of logging, and even then I normally won't look at it unless I'm confirming something I've seen elsewhere.

Nothing is going to compete, price-wise with Microsquirt, I've accepted that. I just want to make sure I look at all my options in the <$1000 range, too. I agree with everyone who says Micro will work for me and my goals, but I do like dicking around with stuff, and can see myself really chasing idle/cruise quality and playing with other ins and outs. That's why I'm thinking the Maxxecu Street would be nice. I also like the idea of the built in WB O2. I was thinking the Maxxecu Mini had that, but now I realize it's just the Street and up.

Does the built in WB controller mean that I can just use the one WB O2 for both the ecu and my gauge of choice? That would be another plus for me.

Re: knock detection, I hear you. I don't claim to have the tuning skills to retard timing or anything with knock, but I'd like to at least be able to monitor it. Don't forget how bad our gas is out here in CA...

Back