• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 M47 leak

just get the reseal kit, no point in not doing it all.
I'd replace all the wearables for the shifter mechanism, guibo, shifter foam(OEM or cobbled up), clutch, and rear main seal too.
good access to heater hoses when trans is out.
throw on new wires for reverse lamp from 240turbo.com while in there.

redline MTF, search about overfilling on purpose to protect 5th

I think the most frequent oil leaking place is the output shaft seal. High circumferential speed wears it fast, plus the bearing/gearbox design allows the shaft to "wander" around quite a bit even in healthy condition (0,1mm - 0,2mm). Selector rod seal is the second most frequent place. Third i think is the 0,3mm thick gaskets between the aluminum castings along with the input shaft seal. Of course these depends a bit on usage, how dusty the air, climate.

Also i think these 0,3mm gaskets could be screwed up when someone tries to unbolt the support mount sheetmetal from the rear of the transmission. Or the gear selector bracket.

I'm currently using 75W90 GL4+ VW spec transaxle gear oil in mine. When its cold it can be felt, but anything over 10-20celsius it shifts nice and never grinds. Volvo recommends 97308 oil in these which is a 75W (or 75W80) GL4 gear oil. This would make it smoother when its cold out there. Overfilling is not really curing the countershaft too tight tapered roller problem, because those bearings bath in gear oil... It may help output shaft cylindrical roller bearing to hold up a bit longer.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5713304&postcount=240

My genuine Volvo rebuilt M47 seeps from the extension housing gasket and rear cover gasket. It also seeps from the threads of the bolts that hold the mount bracket on the rear cover. It leaked from day one of me putting it in. I would use some type of super sealant on those gaskets. I've only had one M47 that wasn't a leaky bitch. I know I should have known better but it was a genuine Volvo rebuilt trans. What could be wrong? :lol:

My genuine Volvo rebuilt M47 seeps from the extension housing gasket and rear cover gasket. It also seeps from the threads of the bolts that hold the mount bracket on the rear cover. It leaked from day one of me putting it in. I would use some type of super sealant on those gaskets. I've only had one M47 that wasn't a leaky bitch. I know I should have known better but it was a genuine Volvo rebuilt trans. What could be wrong? :lol:

I must have done something wrong then when i assembled my trans, because even after 2 years its not leaking...
20190803_221150 by P?ter Gede, on Flickr

Volvo guys at service shop surely did it way better then. :e-shrug:

I used genuine volvo gaskets and seals, used nothing on the gaskets, just clean and oil/grease free surfaces. Radial seals got some bearing grease...

it's funny because I looked at the thing and thought. Well they are the best so I should be fine. But they are not the best at Volvo and it isn't fine.

Looks nice. That's the way mine should look.

Thanks everyone

Where do I buy the seal kit from?

I think a proper volvo dealer could get that kit for you: 271575-3
It contains all the gaskets and seals.

I dont know if you want to change the bearings aswell, i can give you part numbers and tips... You cant disassemble it fully without one special tool for the output shaft. All other can be done with some slight hammering, shop press and bearing puller.

Last edited:
Back