• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

G80 swap question

iHateVolvoPeople

Yup, another G80 thread.

I have a 1993 945T with a g80, should be 3.73s I believe. I also have a 93 245 M47 car with 3.31s (open). If I want the G80 in my 245, I cannot get away with just swapping the guts because the ring and pinion would be different due to the different ratios.

Do I need to swap the guts but leave the stock 3.31 ring and pinion, or do I need to pull the ring and pinion out of my 245 and install the 3.73 ring and pinion along with the G80 guts?

Anything driveline related absolutely terrifies me and I?d almost rather pay a professional to do this work, but figured I?d also ask here.

TIA

If you’re happy running a 3.31 rear, then it’s as simple as removing the differential, fitting your 3.31 ring to the G80 diff, the re-install the diff.

John

If you?re happy running a 3.31 rear, then it?s as simple as removing the differential, fitting your 3.31 ring to the G80 diff, the re-install the diff.

John

I would prefer the 3.73 for some more oomph, but if it?s easier to swap and keep the 3.31s, that?s what I?ll do.

Thank you.

If you’re happy running a 3.31 rear, then it’s as simple as removing the differential, fitting your 3.31 ring to the G80 diff, the re-install the diff.

John

What if the pinion frome one set and the ring gear from the other set are not evenly worn and the teeth meet at a weird angle?

https://www.240turbo.com/volvorearends.html

This should tell you all you need to know.

As long as you’re using a matching ring and pinion, and the backlash is within spec (it was when I did mine), then you’ll be fine.

To use the 3.73 you’d need to install the 3.73 pinion in your 240 casing. Chances are you’d need to re-shim to get your backlash in spec, which involves removing carrier bearings etc.

All can be done, but you’ll need new bearings and much more time.

If you’re happy with your 3.31 then you’ll probably get away with a straight swap.

I think others may have miss-read my first reply. For clarity, you must always use the matching ring and pinion sets, which can be done most easily with the 3.31 as you can bolt the 3.31 ring to the G80 diff.

John

https://www.240turbo.com/volvorearends.html

This should tell you all you need to know.

As long as you?re using a matching ring and pinion, and the backlash is within spec (it was when I did mine), then you?ll be fine.

To use the 3.73 you?d need to install the 3.73 pinion in your 240 casing. Chances are you?d need to re-shim to get your backlash in spec, which involves removing carrier bearings etc.

All can be done, but you?ll need new bearings and much more time.

If you?re happy with your 3.31 then you?ll probably get away with a straight swap.

I think others may have miss-read my first reply. For clarity, you must always use the matching ring and pinion sets, which can be done most easily with the 3.31 as you can bolt the 3.31 ring to the G80 diff.

John

Perfect, looks like I?ll be keeping the 3.31 for now due to time constraints. Thanks against John!

Rings and pinions are machined as a set, they wear as a set, but I guess those machine shops are just being pernickety.

Never mind, carry on.

Just checking. His English seemed crystal clear to me, twice in the same thread. Your MO on here is trolling. I noticed how you removed the banned members from your signature. Nice. As if that wasn’t trolling. Caught yet again with your hand in the cookie jar.

If you?re happy running a 3.31 rear, then it?s as simple as removing the differential, fitting your 3.31 ring to the G80 diff, the re-install the diff.

Almost !
You also need to remove the bearings to swap over the shims from your original diff to the G80 diff (each to the same side). You'll need new bearings to replace the one's you destroyed taking them off.
You can try leaving the shims as they are but chances are you'll end up doing it all again. At least the second time you do it it's a lot quicker!
Tim

Back