home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > website & board

Old 06-07-2008, 02:24 AM   #76
casioqv
Mad Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
Exactly. Tyler, things are not nearly as far off as you are saying, unless the stuff you fill up and the people who fill you up are a bit wonky. Or something.
I do have a 760 with the auxilary fuel tank, and I can generally get about 3 extra gallons of fuel into the tank beyond the point where it first clicks off, especially if using non-foaming biodiesel.

On the other hand, I have noticed similar "fluctuations" in fuel economy on my gasoline Volvos as some pumps seem to click off when the tank is only 3/4 full, and others overfill it until gas squirts back out the filler tube!

With the 760 I fill it myself at pacific pride, the gasoline Volvos of course I can't fill myself (living in Oregon). I'd imagine if someone always fills at the same pump, and asks them not to top the fuel off that it would increase the consistency of the calculations by a lot...
casioqv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:35 AM   #77
Lord_Athlon
Just damn

IN my 242, i have it really lean with timing on the freeway, and get about 30-31, it gets kinda hot though
Old 06-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #78
Canuckvolvo
Drunk as ****

WIthout reading back through the thread again, I think it was already suggested that a round trip, re-filling at the same pump you left from, stopping after the first click, is the most accurate way to go. No, it ain't perfect, but I bet it's closer than dyno calibrations from one coast to the other!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #79
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckvolvo View Post
I think it was already suggested that a round trip, re-filling at the same pump you left from, stopping after the first click, is the most accurate way to go.
Within US, I think most states do their measurements in a 5 gallon "bucket."

When those stations in California got caught, their computer program always measured 5 gallons correctly....hence, if you need some fuel....in 5 gallon increments may work too.

If your state inspection people don't work on week-ends, if a station owner was up to no good, this is when pumps got re-adjusted...on the weekends.
84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #80
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
IN my 242, i have it really lean with timing on the freeway, and get about 30-31, it gets kinda hot though
I would install a pyrometer in the header somewhere....end of this story might be a warped head, with bubbles in your radiator system.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:42 AM   #81
lane stradler
Board Member

i wouldnt trust an auto click off nozzle. the click off point changes with as little as having the nozzle cocked at a different angle. i know its considered bad, but i like to get it to the brim when trying to get REAL calculation data..... but with the price of gas recently, i dont even fill it up anymore. i get better gas mileage when i only have a half tank of gas.... but good luck measuring that without a flow meter of sorts.
lane stradler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:46 AM   #82
tjts1
Board Member

Tonight we drove back from Sacramento in Liz's 96 855 NA 5 speed. I filled up in Sacramento and used the 90 mile drive back to the Bay Area to set a base line for the for the completely stock car. The drive included about 5 miles of stop lights, 50 miles at 65mph (the speed limit) and 35 miles at 55mph (speed limit on the highways 37 and 101). Over every fill up thus far the average MPG on the trip computer is about .3-.5mpg low compared to the calculation at the pump. On the fill up before this drive the trip computer showed 27.9mpg while at the pump I calculated 28.4mpg.

Average MPG after 90 mile drive.

Average speed for 90 mile drive.

Miles coved. The mechanical odometer is .2 miles off from the electronic odometer. I have no idea which one is more accurate.

Estimated miles to empty at average MPG.

We make this trip once or twice a month so i can use the data to quantify any future changes.
cheers

Justin

Greed is good.
tits for president

Last edited by tjts1; 06-08-2008 at 02:22 PM..
tjts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #83
stylngle2003
Board Member

it's nowhere close to 35mpg, but for my 945, which usually gets 17-19mpg mixed city and highway (i drive fast), this last tank was awesome. i stuck to the speed limit on all roads and averaged 23.2mpg. haven't made a flat floor yet, or done any other mods to improve economy (pump up tires, etc), so it will be interesting to see what she can do on the open highway at a 55 or 65 mph cruise with some eco mods.
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD (hauls ass)
1990 Mazda Miata (track toy)
stylngle2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:47 AM   #84
casioqv
Mad Engineer

tdiclub.com has several people in their 70mpg club!!??!!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=187311

"no_one_of_consequence" claims a (GPS corrected) economy of 70mpg over a distance of 7800 miles!

I need to get a TDI.....
Old 06-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #85
shaved240
Board Member

I just got 24mpg in my f+t with no OD. don't think an od will add 11mpg though :(
1988 244: b230f+t, M46:PARTED
1995 960: SOLD
1994 945: SOLD

on the hunt for the elusive zf diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungledorifuto View Post
ship me that m46 for 40 bucks and im game
shaved240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #86
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
tdiclub.com has several people in their 70mpg club!
Drafting behind a big rig will improve your carís fuel efficiency.

To test this myth, the build team procured a car, a big rig, and a device that could measure a carís fuel efficiency. They then drove the car behind a moving big rig at various distances ranging from 100 to 2 feet and measured the amount of fuel the car consumed. The Build Team discovered that the closer the car was to the big rig, the less drag is produced, thus the more fuel saved. At just ten feet, the car managed to increase its fuel efficiency by 40%. Drafting at two feet was slightly lower than the ten foot distance, mainly because Grant had to keep working the car pedal to maintain distance from the truck. However, that did not dispute the fact that drafting actually can increase your carís fuel efficiency. However, the Build Team has warned that drafting is incredibly dangerous because the truck driver may not able to see you and you may not be able to react in time if the truck were to make a sudden stop.

Me think someone was drafting along...
Old 06-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #87
casioqv
Mad Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84B23F View Post
Me think someone was drafting along...
They posted their techniques. I think most of them are using Pulse & Glide, but not drafting.

I wouldn't use Pulse & Glide- I think it would shorten the life of the engine, not to mention annoy others on the road.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #88
lane stradler
Board Member

i feel like i get a better drag off smaller commercial trucks... i leave about 2 car lengths in between.
seems pulse and glide would hurt things like drive shaft bolts and other linkage that is mainly from the tranny to the differential.
serious bicyclist use a method of pedaling that is similar. i forget what you call it... floating the pedal or something like that.
speaking from the real life experience of drafting (1-2 foot gap), every type of vehicle there is, on a bicycle.... a semi actually will pull you if you get close enuff to it. but the effects can be felt farther back as well. the more speed, the more farther back you can still feel the draft effecting you.
now, speaking from this real life experience.... i totally fail to see the problems you guys mention with drafting a semi. if the semi applies it's brakes, then you apply your brakes. your car must be quite the POS if it cant brake faster than a semi. the real concerns are with you paying attention to the truck and reading it's body language. but come on.... a truck is the most predictable vehicle out there... even more predictable than a volvo!!!
second concern would be the mental stability of the truck driver. i find most people get "nervous" when someone is "too close". that leads them to be distracted from the chore of driving as they pine away at the a-hole that is climbing up their arse. next thing you know, the truck driver misses a detail and has to do sudden maneuverings to get back to "safety".
so i see drafting a semi as a bad thing... but more out of mental respect for the driver... not the safety of reaction times.
just my 2 cents.
lane stradler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #89
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane stradler View Post
....drafting...if the semi applies it's brakes...
Generally, a fully loaded semi takes twice the distance at 55 mph to stop when compared to cars....most all today have electronically controlled braking to prevent tire lockups, and I have no idea what braking distance is with these systems under different weight loads.

However, when traveling at 10 feet behind one, if a panic situation happened, I rather doubt a human reaction time would be quick enough to respond when following at 10'...statistically, this rarely happens...and a number of larger companies monitor drivers' braking habits, and those with a heavy brake foot may be history with those companies.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #90
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaved240 View Post
got 24mpg in my f+t with no OD....
RE: 240 b230f+t, aw70 to m46 swap
With lower gear in rear end (I assume your auto had OD), your vehicle would be better doing in town driving.

PS: I came across this in Brickboard.com today, which is similar to my mileage: I've got electric radiator fan, removed AC, and removed power steering belt....via soft accelerator peddle action.

Sven: '89 245, IPD sways, electric rad. fan conversion, 28+ mpg - auto tranny. 850 mi/week commute.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #91
Chino
X8lX8 (figure it out)

I'm down.

I am right at 30 mpg on my trip to work, with two mountains to climb, and running 87 octane with ethanol.

Actually, 30.4 mpg on last tank (mapped trip/gallons)

Just a little more to go.

How much more do you think I would get with 93 octane?
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #92
casioqv
Mad Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptchino View Post
How much more do you think I would get with 93 octane?
Unless your engine is pre-detonating, and retarding the timing you'll probably get exactly the same, or slightly less on 93 octane.

I've calculated several tanks of fuel in my stock 1987 740 Turbo on both 85 octane, and 93 octane and been unable to find a statistically significant difference.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #93
Captain Slow

Well, I just went to the gas station and my car was completely empty. (spuddering on the way in). I got 340 miles on this tank, thats a full 21.5 mpg. thats the most I've ever gotten, I usually just average about 18. Stupid aw70 piece of crap.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #94
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsam740 View Post
....got 340 miles on this tank, thats a full 21.5 mpg....aw70 piece of crap.
1984 B23F 244 AW 70: about 28 mpg on dirt/gravel roadways, rural county roads, & highways....less than 50 mph speeds, with power steering belt removed and with E-Fan. I suspect around 30 mpg on pure highway driving, under 50 mph.

There is a concept called Stall Speed Pressure on AW70 transmission...I can only wonder if this affects mpg...

What I mainly do is bring it up to speed to kick in OD, then maintain a speed from 30 mph to 50 mph in these rural roadways that I travel alone, most of the time...no other traffic.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #95
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsam740 View Post
...full 21.5 mpg...
Footnotes:

1. Timing Advance - See if vehicle has full advance

2. Good Point Here - "....the noise from the tappets clicking could mimic the frequencies that the knock sensors zero in on. This did not promote good power or economy."
Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #96
Chino
X8lX8 (figure it out)

A friend of mine sent me a link to some tricks to conserve fuel, may get some people into the requirements.

Just google "hypermiling"

The best I saw is this website.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyperm...ecodriving.php

gonna try some of these on the next tank to see how MPG improves.
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #97
mo5005
Board Member

is there any danger in removing the power steering belt? (damage to the power steering unit?)
mo5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #98
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo5005 View Post
is there any danger in removing the power steering belt? (damage to the power steering unit?)
If you have a tilt wheel, I would have a question mark...at least on GM vehicles.

Power steering pump sits above Rack & Pinion....any fluid that leaks out (if leakie) from there should be replaced via gravity flow from pump.

Note - Previous owner of this vehicle I drive had disconnected power steering belt...due to bracket not being tight...I reconnected it, and it worked fine...then I disconnected it.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #99
84B23F
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo5005 View Post
any danger in removing the power steering belt?
PS: If your vehicle ever has a blow out, you may have wished you had that belt on...the event tends to jerk hard on steering wheel when it happens....or if hitting roadway holes, this event can jerk the wheel too.

In other words, if you don't drive with firm hand control on steering wheel, if stuff happens, it may take the vehicle for an out of control ride.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #100
Lord_Athlon
Just damn

I drove from tucson to phoenix and back on 1/2 a tank of gas drafting car carriers and having the tires at 38 psi. I got 44mpg.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote