• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

83 242 V8 LQ4 swap

Steering shaft gets real close right here, keep in mind I moved my steering rack from the stock location. They make a stamped steel version of the C5 manifolds that would probably work but I wanted cast ones because I was pondering a remote mount turbo at the time. I have also read that the cast c5 manifolds are the best flowing stock manifold.

good read

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ls1_engine_header_test/viewall.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...wing-cast-iron-ls1-2-6-exhaust-manifolds.html

manifold.jpg

C5 vette manifolds stamped steel style

97---00-Corvette---C5--LS1--Exhaust-Manifold-for-sale_120775813886.jpg

Last edited:
Manifold - steering clearance

Thanks for the picture. I remember reading that car craft article a while ago and thinking that headers on these engines is a real waste of effort and hassle and they are using manifolds not as good as yours.
Looks like the Hooker manifolds will clear the steering shaft with ease - supposed to flow pretty good as well.

manifold.jpg

DSCN0585-1.jpg

IF these clear the steering shaft and the MAST oil pan fits as well as I have been told the LSx engines can be installed with no mods other than the mounts :) Of course then the fun starts with wiring, cooling, transmission, clutch linkage, exhaust ............... :wtf:

Are you running the accessory package that came with the motor? No interference between any of the accessories and a 'hard' spot in the compartment? Also - what about oil filter - remote or the stock location in back by the pan?

I made the accessory brackets and the oil filter is stock. Im pretty sure the stock camaro or truck accessories would work though, just didnt get them with my motor so I improvised.

Very small update. My buddy was sending some stuff out to get clear anodized so he let me throw my injector adapters i made in the batch. Just another step to be able to run e85 and lots of boost!

456bbb99.jpg

I wasn't too crazy about saving all the receipts but i'm in it about 3800. It's by far the best bang for the buck project I have completed. I finally have California plates on it as of yesterday so I will take it to the drag stip as soon as I get some drag radials. I'm pretty sure it will run a 12 as is. Probably not going to sell it for awhile. I really want to make it faster via a turbo or nitrous, which will probably make the car worth less but I can't come this far and not blow it up:-P

I'm looking over your photos and know that school. I think I've been to your house but I'm not sure. Do you live or lived with kurt/kirk? Cant remember his name. Had/has the turbo two tone bug.

I wasn't too crazy about saving all the receipts but i'm in it about 3800. It's by far the best bang for the buck project I have completed. I finally have California plates on it as of yesterday so I will take it to the drag stip as soon as I get some drag radials. I'm pretty sure it will run a 12 as is. Probably not going to sell it for awhile. I really want to make it faster via a turbo or nitrous, which will probably make the car worth less but I can't come this far and not blow it up:-P

Thats a pretty good price range for something like this. I might be thinking of doing something like it to my 244

I'm looking over your photos and know that school. I think I've been to your house but I'm not sure. Do you live or lived with kurt/kirk? Cant remember his name. Had/has the turbo two tone bug.

Yeah he lived with me for awhile but that was probably 6 or 7 years ago. Have you seen his bug lately? We put a turbo k20 in it. Looks ridiculous but it's fast enough to get away with it. Made 480 wheel on a dynojet on the stock longblock, finally broke a rod last season but its almost back together with eagles and JE's.

KirksBugK20Turbo001.jpg

Ridiculous. So I have met you before. I'm friends with John (blue 244). Last time I saw him was his going away party at your place when he was getting ready to leave for basic training for the national guard. Do you know if his 244 is driving yet? Last I heard he had it tuned but the aw70 was slipping.

You're the one with the corvette wheels/brakes on your bug (if you still have that). I remember seeing it in the garage.

Took some crappy videos,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zPZRJl71pWQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9OulJ6TxrTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xf17ooAsP_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very nice, sounds great! I really like this swap, very clean, looks like it's supposed to be in there.

Jeez so many people in Modesto I didnt even know about, why do we never meet up when Im home on leave?

Awesome build!

Back