• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Knif edging your crankshaft.

Chilm

Double Dutch
Hi guy's

I want to knive edge my B230FK crankshaft, but I have a few questions about it.
Reason: cuts smoother through the oil(mist), less drag, lighter bottom end, faster in the rev's.
And curious if I have the skills :-P

What will it do with the torque, I mean torque will be less but is that noticable?

After doing that it will be re-balanced again.

What are you brickers thoughts about this plan?

My thought is that with some very careful dyno testing, you might actually be able to tell the difference. If other conditions were controlled enough.

Torque curve may change, but you should not lose any. Just lighten flywheel / get billet one.

Hi guy's

I want to knive edge my B230FK crankshaft, but I have a few questions about it.
Reason: cuts smoother through the oil(mist), less drag, lighter bottom end, faster in the rev's.
And curious if I have the skills :-P

What will it do with the torque, I mean torque will be less but is that noticable?

After doing that it will be re-balanced again.

What are you brickers thoughts about this plan?

source.gif

You'll notice more by doing this.

Is the motor spinning over 6k rpm continuously? If not, crank scrapers and knife-edging aren't going to do so much for ya.

As honest as allways John, experienced fapper? :rofl:

No really, not a good idea?
Did they evah try this out with the group A in Sweden?

Group A homologation form lists under point 319.h the minimum weight of the crankshaft...
For example, the Frod Squierror with a YBB built explicitly built to beat the old B21 240s has a minimum weight of 14,100g....notice they list it as grams*... People have been disqualified for being just a few grams underweight in some internals...
Pretty hard to knife edge the crank without it getting lighter.

*The homologation form for the Exsquirt Crossways with a YBG
Shows a minimum weight of 14,200 grams.. Oddly enough its the same part number.

Group A homologation form lists under point 319.h the minimum weight of the crankshaft...
For example, the Frod Squierror with a YBB built explicitly built to beat the old B21 240s has a minimum weight of 14,100g....notice they list it as grams*... People have been disqualified for being just a few grams underweight in some internals...
Pretty hard to knife edge the crank without it getting lighter.

*The homologation form for the Exsquirt Crossways with a YBG
Shows a minimum weight of 14,200 grams.. Oddly enough its the same part number.

Thanks for your reply John, clear now.

For fark sake mister Vanlandingham, you just made my day. It's been a very long time we talked on the phone but it's coming back to me now :lol:

@Chilm; I told you several times, you are taking some things waayyyyyyy to far. Listen to the people who have build several 8 valve tractor engines. :lol:

Seeing you are not ordering a samsonas gearbox, some big ass rear axle, I think you'll be fine with not going overboard. ;)

A customer of mine had it done in his car. Jason Goodley. It is hard to say if that one thing helped.. But that little car 244 was a rocket in its day. Ran a few 7.8 in the eigth at 20 some psi in 2003 out at kennedale dragway. He had a lot of other supporting mods , and they all seem to work very well together. If I may bore you with details.. Serious ported 8v head by one of Bob norwoods guys, special cam, 93 ported manifolds, b23ft, with imported b23et pistons, shot peened b21ft rods, knife edged b23ft crank, o ringed block, copper headgasket ( nobody made them then so he and I did a run of them and they mostly sucked)haltech e6a, crane hi 6 r full ignition with fireball coil, m46 with American power and brake clutch, drag slicks on open diff , 60-1 turbo, npr intercooler.. I ended up buying this car about 5 years ago. Rebuilt it, got it running. Then sold it.

Want to see how important it is? Search Google Images for "F1 crankshaft" and see if you find any knife edged cranks.....
Since Eff Juan is ass-fault I don't pay any attention to it, but I hear they do rev their engines up..Probably a bit higher than road car Volvo.

A customer of mine had it done in his car. Jason Goodley. It is hard to say if that one thing helped.. But that little car 244 was a rocket in its day. Ran a few 7.8 in the eigth at 20 some psi in 2003 out at kennedale dragway. He had a lot of other supporting mods , and they all seem to work very well together. If I may bore you with details.. Serious ported 8v head by one of Bob norwoods guys, special cam, 93 ported manifolds, b23ft, with imported b23et pistons, shot peened b21ft rods, knife edged b23ft crank, o ringed block, copper headgasket ( nobody made them then so he and I did a run of them and they mostly sucked)haltech e6a, crane hi 6 r full ignition with fireball coil, m46 with American power and brake clutch, drag slicks on open diff , 60-1 turbo, npr intercooler.. I ended up buying this car about 5 years ago. Rebuilt it, got it running. Then sold it.

That's the trick, every little bit helps.
Getting the complete picture then, learned from what I've been reading and hearing and have experienced.

Back