• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 242, Now What Do I Do?

Not to confuse people but here's mine :-D

2013-02-22_14-22-34_862_zpsjuvidebn.jpg

That's pretty! Just curious, what color code is on the strut plate? Mines 200-2. I had the paint mixed and it came out close to some of the blue that's visible under the trunk.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Dan

That's pretty! Just curious, what color code is on the strut plate? Mines 200-2. I had the paint mixed and it came out close to some of the blue that's visible under the trunk.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Dan

My plate is identical to yours.
The only difference is mine has an M47.

It's a lighter, greyer blue then the more common dark metallic blue.
My car is badly rusted. Drives good though. I ran it the other day, with 93 ultra so cheap right now. :nod:

Thanks. The paint still shines on your car and it looks good. The rust can be fixed; have you owned it long?

6-7 years maybe.
It's a respray. A very good one.
Unfortunately it covers up some very ****ty Rust repair.

Gotcha. I got lucky, the one I got has almost zero rust. Floors, trunk, cheeks, fenders and quarters are clean. A small amount below the rear window that I can clean, neutralize, fill and paint.
Thank you
Dan

You planning on keeping it?
I have a feeling you'll soon be geting an offer that'll be difficult to refuse.

I've restored a handful of volvos; I'm a hobbyist who uses cars as my "art"! I restore them to keep them. My children usually get them at some point (we have seven kids and my sig is the fleet we drive!). I have sold a couple over the years to help pay tuition and/or get another car to restore.
My s70R tribute was an example;

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?223530-99-S70-t5m-to-S70R

Prepare for random unsolicited emails regarding your 242. :nod:
The only real research I've done re: flathood folklore was to email Volvo.
JV and Pat are just as correct as anyone else on this. No one has proof.
I have neither the time or desire to go further as my car aint for sale and I am a busy man.
Kool story is kool tho. :cool:

Thanks and I understand busy! No tv for me, lol! Got some small parts cleaned up; sand blasted these

Detailed and painted the ps pump Tom found for me

Got a parts car! A 90 745turbo stick; blown engine but all there, m46 gutted dash, body is rough rolling on steelies with decent snows. I know people don't like parts cars, but this one was already dead when I got it.

Are there any good engine builds you can refer me to using the lh2.4, intake/injectors/rail/Maf and exhaust manifold? At this time I want to have a mild build, say 220whp.

Resto mod......I guess you are keeping it. ;-)

Check the stickies.
Basically strip both to long block and bolt on EFI.
Wiring is a hack job without 240 LH 2.4. Easy enough to source.

I would freshen up the B21ft.
A little head work, cam, modern turbo and intercooler and you're there.

I have 4 turbos to work with
The stock 83 turbo, the stock 90 turbo, a 13t from an 01 s60 lpt w angle flange, and a 16t from a 98v70r with straight flange exhaust.

Which cam, the 83 or the 90?

I've built custom downpipes to accommodate the best turbo setup.
The 90 exhaust manifold is crack free so I can use that

Won't the 740 wiring harness work on the 242? The ecu will I think.

Any advantage with the 90 head (it looks clean like it was rebuilt not long ago)?
Thanks for your thoughts!

I have 4 turbos to work with
The stock 83 turbo, the stock 90 turbo, a 13t from an 01 s60 lpt w angle flange, and a 16t from a 98v70r with straight flange exhaust.

Which cam, the 83 or the 90?

I've built custom downpipes to accommodate the best turbo setup.
The 90 exhaust manifold is crack free so I can use that

Won't the 740 wiring harness work on the 242? The ecu will I think.

Any advantage with the 90 head (it looks clean like it was rebuilt not long ago)?
Thanks for your thoughts!

16t is good.
The 740 engine whip is not as clean.
No difference in cam grinds. One has a slot. That's it. Get a performance cam....it's for fun!:nod:
Use the 398 casting IMO.
Plus if you have the head off, it's worth it to work on it.
There's a lot on the table and porting is good bang for buck.
Steam holes can be drilled also.

Last edited:
Should I swap the angle flange hot side from the 13t to the 16t? Or just reclock the 16t and call it good?

Should I swap the angle flange hot side from the 13t to the 16t? Or just reclock the 16t and call it good?

You'll have to see how it fits in a 240 but I'd reclock it.
Depending on how you design your header pipe (I wish I had a pic of my old one, I gave it to another member here and I think it's scrap now) the closer the expansion chamber is to the turbine the better.

The car has a downpipe (catless) on the original turbo. It's rusted and full of pin holes. I'll source a stock dp and use the end to connect to the 16t. I'll make the dp 3" for about 40" and connect to the 2.5" tme system that's also on the car. I'll add bungs for the a/f and the O2 sensor to it and should be good to go...

I'm debating on pulling the engine/trans so I can fully paint the engine bay. Currently it's all taped off (quick and dirty). If I pull the engine, I'll regasket/reseal/repaint it and add the m46... Such madness!

Cleaned and treated all the rust spots

Etch primer and bondo filler

Sourced a spoiler from this board

And also sourced a downpipe

It's an angle flange unit that fits my 13t!

Thinking about taking the cold side of the 16t and mating it to the hot side of the 13t. I have a 90 turbo exhaust manifold that is crack free.
13t on right, 16t on left

Decisions, decisions! Thoughts?

Feeling Chipper!
Got some chips from Turbotank Shane and put them in the 740 donor ecu and the Philski chippable Ezk; heading toward 2.4ville...

More to do, much more to do...
Dan

Back