• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Speedometer circuit

littlesnides

While replacing my parking brake cable, I accidentally broke my speedo wires at the connector. So I took apart the connector and resoldered wires into it.

Edit: just realized this posted incomplete!

Long story short, I got the wires backwards and now my speedometer doesn’t work. Would anyone know if it’s a fuse, sensor or maybe the speedo I have burned up?

Last edited:
It's not a high level signal so I doubt you would have burned anything up. You probably don't have good continuity to the sensor. I would try checking the resistance of the wiring measuring from the speedo connector to the connector on the rear axle. You can use something like a paper clip to short the terminals in the wiring and meausre at the connector for the speedo in the dash. Or make a really long test wire with alligator clips on the end so you can test the wiring indiviidually. If the wiring has high resistance after your soldering it could kill the signal level making it unreadable by the speedometer.

There are members here who sell the connector and pins so you can repair it with new parts. hiperfauto and dave barton can provide you with what you need.

If you're talking about the 2-pin connector that comes from the sensor on the differential, it doesn't matter which way the 2 wires are connected (original or swapped is fine). Check that your repair is good and that the connector isn't corroded. cleanflametrap has a writeup somewhere on how to diagnose this sort of failure.

Ah ok, good to know-

I checked continuity between my new solder and the butt connector I made. Maybe I need to check further back. Made sure I squeezed the old connectors a little tighter so they snapped down into place snug as well. Thanks for the tips and I will do some more research.

Back