• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

BMW Style 5's on a 240

CakeOD

I recently got a great deal on a set of BMW Style 5's (5x120, 15x7, ET20) and I was hoping you guys could help me figure out how to get them to fit on my 240 wagon.

I've been e-mailing with Motorsport Tech and they say that they could make a 19mm or 25mm 5x120 to 5x108 adapter, but I'm worried that the tires will rub if I run that much spacer. Would it be a better option to try to fill and re-drill the BMW wheels to 5x108? Anyone have experience getting these to fit? Thanks!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SpYWkchNyqk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've got a set of 19mm? front adapters I could hook you up with on the cheap that came off of my 242. They're from motorsport tech but I've only got the fronts available. I'm running a 225/45/17 and it's pretty low. The fenders are rolled all around but it doesn't scrub anywhere.

How low do you want to go? A picture of my car is in my signature for reference.

I've got a set of 19mm? front adapters I could hook you up with on the cheap that came off of my 242. They're from motorsport tech but I've only got the fronts available. I'm running a 225/45/17 and it's pretty low. The fenders are rolled all around but it doesn't scrub anywhere.

How low do you want to go? A picture of my car is in my signature for reference.

I'm running IPD lowering springs right now so I'm about 2" lower than stock I think. That's why I'm worried the 225s that are on the wheels are going to rub if I use an adapter thats too wide.

Would it be easier to just get the wheels re-drilled to 5x108 and then see how they fit and then add spacers if needed?

Last edited:
You probably won't rub in the front at that height, but the rears will rub the outer fender lip. I'd trim the lip before I got the wheels filled and drilled, but that's me. There are competent shops that will do it, but in my opinion you'll still need a spacer for it to look good. Just my opinion on looks though.

[beware 940 content]

Not that familiar with 240s, but 940 fenders are huge. I'm running 9J wide 5x120 wheels with ~20mm (approx because they were 25mm at the start and I've chipped them down (lathe) after all these years to about 20 I think).

Of course fenders are rolled and pulled, but there should not be much of a problem with 7j wheels and 20mm adapters. You can always to the math yourself and afterwards space out the wheels you have with some shims and stuff to see if it fits.

PMed you re: those front adapters.

Why not just get the wheels redrilled to 5x108 and be done with it?

Literally everyone else I have asked has told me not to get them re-drilled and to get adapters instead. Not sure why that is the preferred method. Seems like it would be easier to get them re-drilled then add spacers afterwards to get the look you want, but I dunno.

:uh:

Adapters are cheap, and finding a good wheel shop is difficult and expensive when you do.

So you flame people for mexipoking and not doing things right, but you're telling him instead of running an appropriate offset of 20 he should get some 19mm barely there 5x108-->5x120 adapters with an effective offset of et1 with his lugs chopped down to basically nothing? Sounds like solid advice.

OP find a decent shop that can redrill if 5x108 doesn't run affoul of the hub bore of the wheel. Mexipoking 15's at basically et0 is going to look dumb IMO. Honestly, this is a ton of work for a set of 15s. Your best option is to find some Volvo accessory 15x7 MSW mesh wheels if you can. Or if you want to adapt something save up some money and get some 16s or 17s with an offset of at least et35 to make thing easier on yourself.

:nomex:

Last edited:
Back