• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 RHD 240 blower/fan motor oil injection, possible?

FreeEMSFred

I've read various write ups on holesaws and full day dash pulls etc, but all I want is to get a drop of oil into the bearing from the outside without excess drama. Is that feasible? Is there likely to be much RHD difference? My 16v swapped 240 sedan has a nasty noise but still blows fine, sometimes it quiets down, so a drop of oil would cure it for another 10 years most likely.

If you feel the need to scream "search" in caps, go ahead, though I did have a read around first.

Any tips and/or links welcome! :-)

If the car was the 1980 and older heater fan motor which is open cage the oil trick works. But since the 81 dash update the original volvo motors are sealed and it's wasted effort. If there is an aftermarket fan motor in there. That may help with oil since they aren't sealed motors.

If the car was the 1980 and older heater fan motor which is open cage the oil trick works. But since the 81 dash update the original volvo motors are sealed and it's wasted effort. If there is an aftermarket fan motor in there. That may help with oil since they aren't sealed motors.
This is good to know! It's a 1987 model. I wonder if I could poke a die grinder or drill in there to break the seal and then poke oil through that hole, too?

I also got a PM telling me to pay attention to "noise = too late" post above, however my gut feel is that it's not too late, as it runs silently sometimes and the noise is a resonance from lack of lube that is damaging/destroying the bearings more with time. But hopefully not much, yet. I suspect it's like this primarily because it sat unused for several years before I got it.

I found a couple of write ups on this that I'll link from here for my reference:

https://www.thevolvoforums.com/threads/240-blower-motor.5111/

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=57613

Maybe I should stick my head under the dash and actually have a look before asking anything more. Might be obvious enough given the material floating around.

Thanks for your replies :-)

that was my experience when i first started the fan it was loud at after it warmed up a bit it was as quite as a mouse pissing on cotton but when i took it apart to clean and oil the bushings im they were in bad shape, i hope your aren't, i took mine and had it rebuilt, because i no longer trust aftermarket. good luck

More PMs, now with photos and links! :-D Photo showed a different type of noise, from fan vs housing! I don't *think* mine sounds like that, but I could be wrong.

Any kind of non-fan-vs-housing resonance would require worn bearings in order for the unlubed shaft to get grip and do time attack laps of the bearing surface causing an imbalanced rotational motion, so I have no doubt there is wear, I just feel like it can't be TOO excessive, yet. Or so I hope :-D

Didn't poke head under dash, but could, it's outside again now. Hmmm.

EDIT: Not much to see without taking the side covers off and didn't bother taking a screw driver. Did manage to make out some of the fan housing clips and see the duct routing that shows the fan probably being on the left hand side/passenger side. Then I just now went and read cleanflametrap.com and found that it has two impellers which I guess everyone in this thread already knew, and even I should have known from seeing the photos of motors with shafts hanging miles out each end (figured they were universal and got trimmed off, oops). So to lube it, I have to take both side covers off, or sneak a tube in behind the impeller to get oil onto the shaft in between. Studying various photos didn't give me any idea whether tha's possible, but given everyone takes it partially or fully apart, I can assume probably not.

Last edited:
Here's what happened today. Fan on 1, smooth/quiet. 1>2, smooth, quiet, faster. 2>3, smooth, quiet, faster still. 3>4, smooth, quiet, fastest. Fan off, coasts down quietly until bam, finds resonance and shakes to a stop :-D Definitely a bearing dryness issue, right? :-)

Back