• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chesh's 750R Project, and no the 5 is not a Typo

LOL... what did that lorry driver think of the white cloud of smoke?

Car sounds great Chesh! There's just something about a whiteblock rev that is music to my ears!

Agreed....Trutrac o'clock? Looks awesome! Can't wait to go for a ride in it. Must schedule in a visit...

We're edging closer to starting on Ryan's car...the garage is pretty much empty of extra crap now, and we're hoping to get the car out in the next few weeks for a clean-up, and removal of the old B230 and M90. I've also just read a few threads on here (including yours, Mr RvolvoR), and have a serious hard-on for a cheap and dirty 2/7/900 build (I mean that in the best possible way, by the way). Cheap. Rust-free. Enough power to blow away an M3. I'm not actually going to do it, but it reminded me that I've been away from Tbricks for too long...

cheers

James

Agreed....Trutrac o'clock? Looks awesome! Can't wait to go for a ride in it. Must schedule in a visit...

We're edging closer to starting on Ryan's car...the garage is pretty much empty of extra crap now, and we're hoping to get the car out in the next few weeks for a clean-up, and removal of the old B230 and M90. I've also just read a few threads on here (including yours, Mr RvolvoR), and have a serious hard-on for a cheap and dirty 2/7/900 build (I mean that in the best possible way, by the way). Cheap. Rust-free. Enough power to blow away an M3. I'm not actually going to do it, but it reminded me that I've been away from Tbricks for too long...

cheers

James

Ive been thinking about how people think my setup is cheap/dirty. Its not really, I just chose parts wisely and put money into the stuff that I knew I could cheap out on...I do have a bit of cash tied up in my endeavor...with more needing to be spent.

Perhaps cheap/dirty was a bad way of putting it. I meant quick, really. Efficient bolt-ons...maximum bang-for-buck, both financially and time-wise. It certainly wasn't means to be any sort of insult, and I know full well that there will still be significant money tied up in it.

The appeal for me is in getting into "built" T5 territory with bolt-ons...which (given that RWD tuning barely exists here) is amusing to me...two fingers up at the FWD crowd, etc.

cheers

James

Chesh & company: Congrats on a great build thread! I've read every post on this whole thread and it's taken me HOURS! I've been taking notes too and took the time to subscribe to your youtube channel... great info here! You've done some awesome work here and it's paid off well. By far, the greatest thing you've done is document your build so well.

I stumbled across a $150 B5234-T5 with an auto trans attached to it and I snapped it up a few months ago. I live in central Illinois (US) and I occasionally peruse the local craigslist auto & parts postings. Amid the seas of usual "$600 Chevy 350 for sale" I found this baby. The story on the motor was that it came from a 1998 V70-t5 that was the replacement for an S70 that the guy had that was stolen and promptly joined with a large tree. To make a long story short, the S70 eng/man trans ended up in the V70 and I got the orig V70 motor. Seems to be a good engine, albeit with 180k mi, plugged PCV, oil in the turbo inlet/outlet, and a bit dirty inside.

The plan was to join this with a Porsche G50 transaxle and drop it into my Focus & build up a custom chassis, but I've been really distracted envisioning this dropped into a 1st gen (1983-89) Isuzu Impulse (Piazza for the UK) with RX-8 trans, suspension, subframes, etc. So the long/slow hunt is on for a bashed RX-8 or something similar to decide the direction of the project.

I've seen various posts by some on RX-7 and Ford T5 trannies, but what about the RX-8 trans to the whiteblock? Is this too fragile for torque? Also, anyone know of anybody that's gone to the trouble to cast a custom bellhousing for a trans other than the usual M90?

Sorry for the long post here, but it's been a great read! Thanks again to Chesh and all the others on here contributing their own useful experiences and info!

Steve

Still enjoying driving the car, tried to do some 1/4mile times with a Program on my smart phone, but i dont believe it too much, as i had 1/4mile times ranging from 17 secs to 13secs. 0-60 times were from 6 seconds to 9 seconds.

Really need to take it to the track and get some accurate times.

But with the oil leak thats a no no, but i was reading some other posts about other 850's when i was hit with the vision it might not actually be the sump thats leaking but the rear main. Considering the amount that spews out only when the engine is running thats my favourite idea now.

When i had the donor car this engine came from i barely drove it when i got it back as i harvested the engine out of it straight away.

So now i'm off to see how easy it is to remove the M90 with the engine in situ. Should be entertaining!!! Hopefully the bellhousing bolts are pretty accessible.

Chesh & company: Congrats on a great build thread! I've read every post on this whole thread and it's taken me HOURS! I've been taking notes too and took the time to subscribe to your youtube channel... great info here! You've done some awesome work here and it's paid off well. By far, the greatest thing you've done is document your build so well.

I stumbled across a $150 B5234-T5 with an auto trans attached to it and I snapped it up a few months ago. I live in central Illinois (US) and I occasionally peruse the local craigslist auto & parts postings. Amid the seas of usual "$600 Chevy 350 for sale" I found this baby. The story on the motor was that it came from a 1998 V70-t5 that was the replacement for an S70 that the guy had that was stolen and promptly joined with a large tree. To make a long story short, the S70 eng/man trans ended up in the V70 and I got the orig V70 motor. Seems to be a good engine, albeit with 180k mi, plugged PCV, oil in the turbo inlet/outlet, and a bit dirty inside.

The plan was to join this with a Porsche G50 transaxle and drop it into my Focus & build up a custom chassis, but I've been really distracted envisioning this dropped into a 1st gen (1983-89) Isuzu Impulse (Piazza for the UK) with RX-8 trans, suspension, subframes, etc. So the long/slow hunt is on for a bashed RX-8 or something similar to decide the direction of the project.

I've seen various posts by some on RX-7 and Ford T5 trannies, but what about the RX-8 trans to the whiteblock? Is this too fragile for torque? Also, anyone know of anybody that's gone to the trouble to cast a custom bellhousing for a trans other than the usual M90?

Sorry for the long post here, but it's been a great read! Thanks again to Chesh and all the others on here contributing their own useful experiences and info!

Steve

Sounds like you have a plan coming together for the engine.

Allways loved those Piazzas, but never been able to pick one up cheap enough to have a play with as there too rare here and subsquently people ask rare money for them.

Sounds like you have a plan coming together for the engine.

Allways loved those Piazzas, but never been able to pick one up cheap enough to have a play with as there too rare here and subsquently people ask rare money for them.

Well, the project would span over the course of at least 5yrs. As you know, planning takes up time and when you're on a budget it takes a lot of time to find what you're looking for at the right price. Case in point was the whiteblock T5 I purchased - it just happened to be local, pulled, and cheap! Wrecking yards always charge way too much and they end up damaging things in the process.

The 1st gen Impulse/Piazza has always been a car I've wanted. My first car was a 1990 2nd gen, front drive Impulse. The 83-89 models have been VERY hard to find in recent years. Ten years ago, they were all selling for less than $1000 and every one I found was in very rough shape. I'd venture to say that most have been scrapped. Isuzu has always been an unknown name in this country and resale value was always LOW so most ended up in the wrong hands. I already have my Focus and it's still too clean and useful to cut up as a project car AND the years of finding a useful cheap Impulse are near an end, so I'd like to find one for my whiteblock.

Going through your experience, I am now pretty well convinced to leave the long block alone and just run it for tune and shakedown purposes. It really makes little sense to do all that tuning on a new engine that needs a proper break-in. And as you know, anything can happen! I'm glad you're up and running strong now! Post up some more great vids!

Steve

Still enjoying driving the car, tried to do some 1/4mile times with a Program on my smart phone, but i dont believe it too much, as i had 1/4mile times ranging from 17 secs to 13secs. 0-60 times were from 6 seconds to 9 seconds.

Really need to take it to the track and get some accurate times.

But with the oil leak thats a no no, but i was reading some other posts about other 850's when i was hit with the vision it might not actually be the sump thats leaking but the rear main. Considering the amount that spews out only when the engine is running thats my favourite idea now.

When i had the donor car this engine came from i barely drove it when i got it back as i harvested the engine out of it straight away.

So now i'm off to see how easy it is to remove the M90 with the engine in situ. Should be entertaining!!! Hopefully the bellhousing bolts are pretty accessible.

Well, how did the area around the rear main look like? Was it wet or grimy to start with? I don't believe there's too much you can do during an eng/trans mate that would cause a strong leak at the rear main unless the seal got bumped in or the crank got corroded. Are you sure the case is venting properly still? Unseat the oil dipstick and run it. Also, clean everything up, put it up on jackstands, and run the motor watching for leaks. I'd exhaust all possibilities before splitting the eng/trans. This is still a stock long block if I remember correctly, isn't it?

Steve

Now that is the best volvo project i have ever seen, that volvo is great:)
Chesh, i hope you don't mind me asking, and could help me a bit, i am doing a clutch conversion on my 96 960, i installed a 850 T-5 flywheel, and ordered a T-5 clutch kit, as i see everything should fit fine, but what throw out bearing did you use? was it from the 960 that came with the M90? and you mentioned that you did some adjustments to the clutch fork, what fork did you use? Thanks for any answers and keep up the good work:)

Now that is the best volvo project i have ever seen, that volvo is great:)
Chesh, i hope you don't mind me asking, and could help me a bit, i am doing a clutch conversion on my 96 960, i installed a 850 T-5 flywheel, and ordered a T-5 clutch kit, as i see everything should fit fine, but what throw out bearing did you use? was it from the 960 that came with the M90? and you mentioned that you did some adjustments to the clutch fork, what fork did you use? Thanks for any answers and keep up the good work:)

I used the standard throw out bearing that came with the M90 gearbox.

When installing it, i would recommened using a brand new fork, Pivot ball and the plastic clip that goes over it. They do start to wear over time and as you've got it all apart the extra expense is worthwhile.

The modification i did to get my clutch to work was to make up a longer clutch slave rod as the standard one didnt work and i couldnt engage gears. My clutch biting point is still very much on the floor though.

When i get back from holiday, i will be dropping the box to replace the rear crank seal, and i will be installing a washer or 2 behing the pivot ball to bring the clutch fork i.e the pivot point so that i should have a more progressive clutch pedal. This will probably then negate the need for the longer clutch rod.

If you compare the height of the flatwheel flywheel and clutch combo versus the old dual mass flywheel and clutch combo, there will probably be a difference of a few mm or a few washers worth. Ive meant to do this measurement myself, but i think i threw the dual mass crap in the scrap bin years ago.

Back