• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

TD04HL-14T straight flange to replace 13G

smp375

Hey, I've got this seized 14T I pulled from an engine swap I did on an '03 XC70 and I'm thinking about throwing a new cartridge in it and putting it on my '98 V70XC to upgrade the stock 13G turbo. Is there a straight flange exhaust housing I can source to avoid the added cost of doing the downpipe at the same time?

Nice. Thank you. I was hoping that was the case but I thought there was a chance they had to couple a larger turbine with the bigger compressor wheel.

Both turbos use the same compressor wheel. Turbine wheel and housings are the different ones.

The 13G and 14T are essentially the same turbo? So what's the difference, bigger openings in the 14T housing?

I already built a stage 5 Saab 900 and killed the bearings when the sump screen clogged with coke from the stupid catalytic converter mounted an inch under the aluminum oil pan. I don't want to go crazy with this car, just stage one or 1.5, but I would rather get the power by getting the air volume at lower boost pressures and since this turbo is taking up space I figured I would rather use it than go spendy spendy again.

I would love to take a tiny little engine and drop the compression ratio the the point it barely starts, though, then bolt a gigantic charger like that to it and see how long my spine will hold together...someday, when I have money to burn.

Could somebody give me a little schooling, or point me in the right direction to some information on these Mitsubishi turbochargers? I get that a TD04 is a class or size and TD04L is bigger then HL is even bigger, yet, but I've also been operating on the assumption that a 14T is bigger than a 13G and 15T is bigger and so-on, but I get the impression I don't correctly understand this. I do understand the concepts of turbocharger function though, so lemme have it.

TD04 is the frame
if it has an H or HL appended, then it uses slightly larger turbine bigger wheel
-## deones the compressor wheel/housing combination size
the letter appended to the number (C, G, T, etc) denotes the exhaust housing, I believe. I'm not sure about this last bit, however.

The number is split into 2
TD##X - ##X
first is the exhaust TD04 TD05 etc letters afterwards like H means the exhaust wheels are different.

The compressor is the 2nd half 13G 14T etc, the letter the compressor wheel style. The size is consistently larger in the range eg. in a tdo04h-13g<15g<etc.
But they do not match up to other type a wheel from a TD05h-14B is roughly the same size as a 15G it could be larger.

I can't verify that a TD04hl-14t wheel will fit a TD04H housing.

13C=/=13G

TD04HL-13G is standard in first Gen white block cars. Same cold side as a 13C, with an HL turbine like a 15G and a flat or angled exhaust housing.

Good god. Well the 14T I had, ended up selling it today with the engine it came from, was actually only an xxxxH not HL, so apparently it wouldn't have been an upgrade to put it on my car in place of the 13g. Oh well, thanks for the information, anyway. This will certainly help if I do decide to buy a bigger turbo in the future. I wish they would just label the things by CFM and make it easier on everyone.

Just look for a 16T CHRA & Compressor housing. Easy bolt on, use existing exhaust turbine housing. That, and a tune for it can give you 220AWHP @ 15psi on an XC

Back