• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

YASVT (Yet Another Sixteen Valve Turbo) - now 16V Whiteblock (LS)

*sigh* yeah.

I'd just rather not spend a lot and get something that isn't as good as it could be. That's ok if I'm not spending much, but this rebuilt HX40 wasn't really cheap. I'm just thinking the suitability/price ratio is off a bit.

I'm such an excitable nerd, I just liked the 'Volvo' on it. *facepalm*

Not that it wouldn't work, just that after I've added the hassle and expense of changing the housing and adding external WG's to the price it already cost. I figure either stick to cheap stuff because it's cheap, or spend a bunch because it is extremely well suited for the purpose, this HX40 is jsut sounding like a joyless no-man's land in between.

Do not fret. The first time you spool that holset up, I don't think you will even remember this thread.

Look up a few video on internet of guys with 2.2l+ running an hx40. First few psi build slow but from 10psi to whatever you have it set is tire-smoking fast.

Little late to the party here, but I also bought one of those from xsboost. For $100 they put a twin-scroll 16 cm^2 housing with the wg welded up, and HX35 turbine/shaft. It's still sitting on a shelf though, so I can't offer much actual performance help.

There are HX40's with Volvo on them. :cool:

$(KGrHqFHJEwE-uPPtU5hBPyCosnnmQ~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holset-HX40W-Billet-Compressor-wheel-Volvo-Diesel-/280892337480

So deliciously nerdy to have it say 'Volvo' on it! :lol:

I just love that turbo. It's a 7-blade (it spools faster than 8-blade), twin-scroll (spools fast with a pulsed air manifold) and has "VOLVO" written all over it. Triple win!

On a 16v. It's a winner.

The word "Volvo" on a big shiny topmounted turbo is worth at least a 100 +1 hp stickers.

I was figuring that was the case. I know those HE351's have a totally non-standard flange. Just funny they call these a 'T4' flange when they're just 'really close' to a T4 pattern.

The housing of my HE351CW has a T3 flange. I put a T3 gasket on it to see if it would fit a 90+ manifold. It's a perfect match and so is a HY35 turbo (HE351 is basically a HY35 with a 7-blade HX40 compressor wheel)

Having said that. I really don't have a clue about the HE351VE flange...but these have their own challenges. Like controlling the VNT-vanes. The only options i've seen are a mechinical spring and the SWITCHBLADE controller.

http://www.turbotalk.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4
http://www.ubertechnics.com/VGT-PRE.aspx

Just love this development...

Little late to the party here, but I also bought one of those from xsboost. For $100 they put a twin-scroll 16 cm^2 housing with the wg welded up, and HX35 turbine/shaft. It's still sitting on a shelf though, so I can't offer much actual performance help.

link or something?

I ended up sending the uber cool VOLVO HX40 back to them.

It just:
1) Wasn't a T4 flange, just 'close'
2) Internal WG not gonna work on a gas motor
3) I didn't want to mess with external WG's

Current plan is to get a BW EFR. CBV and EBC valves built in, internal WG that works on both sides of the divided T4. Built to spool fast on gas motors too.

would like to see you get one on it and see what it does.

One of these would be killer, maybe I could contain it in the hood this time :-P

I ended up sending the uber cool VOLVO HX40 back to them.

It just:
1) Wasn't a T4 flange, just 'close'
2) Internal WG not gonna work on a gas motor
3) I didn't want to mess with external WG's

Current plan is to get a BW EFR. CBV and EBC valves built in, internal WG that works on both sides of the divided T4. Built to spool fast on gas motors too.

I am both jelly, and excited. Those turbos are awesome!

oh ok, it didn't offer the t4 option on the website.

Wasn't ordering from them (hadn't really decided where yet), but most sites have that option.

They just had a nice site layout with all the pictures.

Everyone seems to have the same prices, a few places have free shipping, so that's probably where I'll go.

Confirmation that you're going to get that anytime soon?
Haven't ordered it yet. I have seen a few indications around that supply is a bit tight on them, wasn't sure if that was current or just dating back to when they were first introduced.

Haven't ordered it yet. I have seen a few indications around that supply is a bit tight on them, wasn't sure if that was current or just dating back to when they were first introduced.

I think that's current. That's why they dropped the T4 option drop down. You can get a single scroll fine. It's the twin scroll that is the issue. They had to completely redesign the housing. I would for sure double check.

I wasn't planning on buying the turbo until the motor was back in the car, but Scotty made me a bit nervous. And indeed, checking around, most places had either pulled the option off their store site, or (if asked) said they didn't have any, and didn't know when to expect any from BW.

But I did manage to find one, and bought it. Pics of it here when it arrives.

Back