• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

wire past the nuetral safety switch

90volvo

93 volvo 240 automatice sedan. Car wont start, turn over, click or anything. Battery good Ive tried 2 good batterys that start my other volvo. Plus they have been load tested. So for testing reason is there a way to go around the nuetral safety switch. They shifter is awlful loose. I know I should check and see if starter getting a signal from the key switch. But when you dont have anybody that willing to drive to your place its hard to accomplish that.
The car has been fine. Came out this morning and nothing. All other acc. work. Lights, windows, gauges, can hear fuel pump kick on for a second. I did check grounds, starter bolts, the 4 fuses on the battery. thanks

update

took top shifter cover off and looks like it has to be the neutral switch. Its in pieces. Don't even think I can figure out how it was before. Yes, its that bad

If you're not afraid of starting the engine when the trans is in gear just connect the 2 wires at the neutral safety switch that should be the same color. But make sure the shifter is in park or neutral when starting or the car will take off. Then source a good used shifter.

If you're not afraid of starting the engine when the trans is in gear just connect the 2 wires at the neutral safety switch that should be the same color. But make sure the shifter is in park or neutral when starting or the car will take off. Then source a good used shifter.

Have a good weekend ne on it's way. Kinda need to drive it tomorrow. I would hook up if it was just 2 wires but there is like 4 wires. Anyway, I'll figure it out.

Two of those wires are for the reverse lights. Jump one pair and reverse lights will work. Jump the other pair and the starter will (probably) work.

Your shifter being loose is probably the linkage bushings have disintegrated. Mine will say drive, but be in neutral. Easy and cheap fix, just gotta put the car on stands...

Back