home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom

Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Brandonium
Board Member

Default Why no 3d print out there?

So I swapped out my super crappy and flimsy designed '71-'72 three piece grill for the '67-'70 aluminum one. Of course finding parking lamp housings for these grills is another part that cannot be obtained. Finally came across a set with the left being mint and the right looking like it had been buried in crap for 40 years and also dug up every so often so it could be blow torched. Sent it to a friend of mine who said that 3d printing these should be easy..

So the question begs to be asked. Why are we not seeing 3d printed recreations of unobtainable parts for the 1xx series of cars? I mean I am having a replacement made by a friend who is by no means rich he just happens to have assembled one over time and it'll do the job.

I'd think a parts house like VP auto or CVI would benefit from recreating items that have long been unavailable. Thoughts?

I am sure this would also hold true for P1800, Amazon, etc but having once owned a P220 I know that my 142 has been harder to procure parts for than the Amazon ever was.

1971 Volvo 142e

1977 International Scout II

Wish List

Saab Sonnet III

1979 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ60)

Whatever else tickles my fancy.
Brandonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Supply is zero when demand is an occasional $14.99.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
kampman
dunning-krugersquirt

The market for 140 stuff is vanishingly small, 3D printed parts might be functional but they won't be exact replicas (VP's bread and butter) and the long term durability of the materials used in the process is questionable in an outdoor/automotive setting. Also stuff like grilles would be pretty complicated to print so the labor/time involved would probably be considerable and the reject rate might be high, so the parts would be expensive.

In other words no one is going to pay $500 for a 140 grille that melts in the sun.
2006 V50 T5 AWD 6MT: 135K
Feedback Thread
kampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
Jack
junkman

Customer review

I wish I could give this zero stars. Not a project, no photos and lack of understanding that at the end of the day few people actually own 140s and even less want to fix them. For the most part 3d printed parts finish looks like an action figure melted with a magnifying glass then dragged on concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Brandonium
Board Member

You say that.. and then I see that I am never the only one looking for unobtainable parts. Then someone gets $400 on ebay for an item that we all know isn't really worth that but due to no supply it is what it is. So I don't entirely buy that argument. There is not as much demand but there is demand none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Supply is zero when demand is an occasional $14.99.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Brandonium
Board Member

Well yes, grills I get that but there are other items that are not grills. I would not expect grills and chrome trim to be 3d printed.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/images/smilies/laugh2.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by kampman View Post
The market for 140 stuff is vanishingly small, 3D printed parts might be functional but they won't be exact replicas (VP's bread and butter) and the long term durability of the materials used in the process is questionable in an outdoor/automotive setting. Also stuff like grilles would be pretty complicated to print so the labor/time involved would probably be considerable and the reject rate might be high, so the parts would be expensive.

In other words no one is going to pay $500 for a 140 grille that melts in the sun.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Brandonium
Board Member

Give it zero stars then. It pertains to a project but not ONLY my project so yes it does pertain to this. Unless of course you want it in MY build thread but by all means please don't venture there as I am the ONLY 140 series owner apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Customer review

I wish I could give this zero stars. Not a project, no photos and lack of understanding that at the end of the day few people actually own 140s and even less want to fix them. For the most part 3d printed parts finish looks like an action figure melted with a magnifying glass then dragged on concrete.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
tjanson
Board Member

Quote:
Not a project, no photos
all sorts of dubious "project threads" since the forum was moved into mechanical...

Anyways, OP, 3d printed parts are either ridiculously expensive or crappy. Even the crappy ones are expensive. If you think there's a market, you can make your own solid model or send out a part to get scanned, and then either pay someone to print it for you or buy your own printer.

Injection mold tooling starts at about $12k, there's always that, then it's pennies per part.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
tjanson
Board Member

Quote:
projects & restorations (50 Viewing)
Long term single thread ground-up project documentation and build process threads only.
Hmm.
tjanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
Brandonium
Board Member

I realize they are not the same as a mold but for someone who wants or needs something crucial like a housing for a marker or turn signal it would be a nice alternative no? I mean hell if it goes to crap in 5 years from UV then get another. And it's not really seen beneath the housing so there's no real need for it to be beautiful. Of course I would not expect 3d printing to make me a comparable lens for turns, side markers, tails that's not really feasible and would look like turd!

I mean at some point creativity has to be given credit in trying to recreate at least a few things that no one else will attempt to make. And it gets old searching for months only to pay $100 for a side marker housing that would belong in the trash if it were not so desperately needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
all sorts of dubious "project threads" since the forum was moved into mechanical...

Anyways, OP, 3d printed parts are either ridiculously expensive or crappy. Even the crappy ones are expensive. If you think there's a market, you can make your own solid model or send out a part to get scanned, and then either pay someone to print it for you or buy your own printer.

Injection mold tooling starts at about $12k, there's always that, then it's pennies per part.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #11
Jack
junkman

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonium View Post
Give it zero stars then. It pertains to a project but not ONLY my project so yes it does pertain to this. Unless of course you want it in MY build thread but by all means please don't venture there as I am the ONLY 140 series owner apparently.
Just admit you started a thread in the wrong place. As a many 140s owner I know what you mean about lack of parts, even 240 parts are hard to comeby .....

Another reason why I love my Amazons - you can get almost anything new
Old 06-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
Brandonium
Board Member

So what if I am 3d printing a new housing? Is that not a restoration? Or a recreation aiding in a restoration. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
Hmm.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #13
Brandonium
Board Member

I've been systematically working to replace what parts I can with 2xx series parts. Getting rid of those damned turn signals and side markers only because I see those soon become unobtainable.

But yes I figure if there was a topic about creating new parts that are part of a restoration process then where else should it be?

Quote:
Just admit you started a thread in the wrong place. As a many 140s owner I know what you mean about lack of parts, even 240 parts are hard to comeby .....

Another reason why I love my Amazons - you can get almost anything new
Old 06-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #14
Jack
junkman

Quote:
I've been systematically working to replace what parts I can with 2xx series parts. Getting rid of those damned turn signals and side markers only because I see those soon become unobtainable.

But yes I figure if there was a topic about creating new parts that are part of a restoration process then where else should it be?
http://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12
Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
Brandonium
Board Member

Well it's definitely not performance related...and if my car was restored and needed an item I guess that would be maintenance? But it's not.. it pertains to my restoration so?...

Quote:
Old 06-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #16
Jack
junkman

Face palm

Link is to maintenance and nonperformance

Look at other “projects” in this section
Old 06-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #17
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
You say that.. and then I see that I am never the only one looking for unobtainable parts. Then someone gets $400 on ebay for an item that we all know isn't really worth that but due to no supply it is what it is. So I don't entirely buy that argument. There is not as much demand but there is demand none the less.
Ya ya I had a bunch of those from parting 140's back in the day, but like you say the soft plastic surround was a little bit crispy and deformed, so I threw them out knowing full well ¢heapass Volvo guys want 30-40-50 year old parts in perfect condition for .

Well I got some very bad news for you, it doesn't work that way in the real world.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Well it's definitely not performance related...and if my car was restored and needed an item I guess that would be maintenance? But it's not.. it pertains to my restoration so?...

Restoration is a very strong word for an old Volvo especially the forgotten 140 series.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #19
tjanson
Board Member

I'm sorry no one is selling replicas, I really am.
tjanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #20
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

I just make the parts that I need for myself. I have no interest in printing parts for others. I mostly model upgraded parts (won't spoil the fun...there is a build thread that needs feeding).

1966 Canadian (B5234T, C4 up front, Supra out back and a nut in the middle) http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328003
1981 242 (B230FT, LH 2.4...and a few other things)

YouTube channel covering Canadian build https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsx...n3CiBQFd4rMyXw
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #21
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
I just make the parts that I need for myself. I have no interest in printing parts for others. I mostly model upgraded parts (won't spoil the fun...there is a build thread that needs feeding).
It's a soft floppy plastic bucket and a metal bayonet light bulb holder, nothing a plastic printer could make anyway.