• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

OM617 Diesel Conversion

TacoSalad

I've been looking at putting a mercedes OM617 diesel (which was originally in the early 80s 300Ds) into either a 740 or a 940, or possibly a 240. I have plenty of experience swapping engines as well as welding and fabrication, so it seems like it should be fairly straightforward. Here are the main hurdles I've found so far:

- From what I've read the engine is a little too tall, so I'll have to modify the oil pan or the subframe, this doesn't sound too difficult.
- I'll have to figure something out for the transmission. It seems like the easiest option would be to either find an original mercedes transmission or put in a T5 (which there are adapter plates for), using an original volvo transmission would require fabricating an adapter plate myself and the gear ratios would be off.
- Since I'll probably replacing the transmission I'll probably have to get a new driveshaft as well.
- I believe I'll need a larger exhaust, nothing complicated there.

Other than that the rest seems pretty simple, it's a mechanically injected diesel so there's no wiring other than the alternator, and things like the warning lights and tachometer I can figure out.

Is there anything I'm missing? Does anyone have any related experience they can offer that would help?

There are a few companies that make adapter kits to drop them into Toyota Pickups/4runners. For ~$650 you can get the trans adapter and flywheel adapter for a w58 or whatever the 2wd trans is.
They are a great engine, easily tunable and they respond well to more fuel and boost. You can break the 160whp & a bazillion torques range with more fuel and boost (adjusting the stock pump). Turbos are t3 flanged btw.

There is also a boost/fuel thingy on the fender of the Merc. You'll want that for sure.

Would I be better off just buying a toyota? I really like the luxury features of volvos and the comfort for long trips, but if the conversion is going to be really tricky or expensive maybe I'd be better off just getting something that would be really easy.

What do you mean by boost/fuel thingy? Some kind of pump?

OM617 to Jeep AW-4 auto trans (adapter for Jeep straight 6) in a 740/940? Adapters are also available for mounting OM617 to Jeep manual trans bell housing (straight 6).

go for it!

OM617 has a front sump instead of rear. Not sure exactly what you will do there unless it clears by some miracle.

tons of information here: http://superturbodiesel.com/

there is a guy on that board that actively swaps OM617 motors into Jeeps. He may be able to work up an adapter for you.

I don't know why you'd do that much work to not have good performing diesel, but I will give you this;

OM617, M21, and D24T all come with a ZF4HP22E.

I've been looking at putting a mercedes OM617 diesel (which was originally in the early 80s 300Ds) into either a 740 or a 940, or possibly a 240.

Would I be better off just buying a toyota? I really like the luxury features of volvos and the comfort for long trips, but if the conversion is going to be really tricky or expensive maybe I'd be better off just getting something that would be really easy.

Uhhhh.... Why not just buy an early 80's Merc??? :omg:

OM617, M21, and D24T all come with a ZF4HP22E.

This .....I still have my zf attached to my d24, but the one from my 617 was sold.

A manual 4 speed from a 616 will bolt right onto the 5 cylinder.....they are tiny, can handle a butt load of torque and only use long metal linkage(3 of them) that would be simple to extend. I agree with tgreasel, its an antiquated engine, with out much thrill....they survive neglect and still parts are very available... They came in us specs with a 3.69 rear attached. A Volvo 3.73 would give you the same ratio basically. 4k at about 65ish..redline at 74mph hitting the rev limited on the pump..but a turbo I've seen the Benz guys do lower rears from a 126 pumpkin as low as 2.88..

You'd be stuck with a gear ratio at 3.31 for Volvo....
That's like 80-85 mph at redline
If you look through the orphans thread for about 12-18 mo. Agonthere was an ad for a car in arizona-new Mexico for a 245/that had this swap done...

What are the goals for this car. Stump puller?

Also I blew up my tired engine in Utah on my w123 wagon, got to my destination in American fork and turned off and would never start again.. tired 617 will die quick in cold weather. Anything under 40* is a chore to start ,, again its an antiquated engine.

Also w123 touring>Volvo 245

13010541263_207be3d940_z.jpg

The reason I'm not just getting a 300D is there where I live (pacific NW) the biodiesel craze has led to crazy prices ($3k+ for one that isn't beat to ****) whereas volvos are common and cheap. I figure I can get a volvo with a blown engine for $5-600, running OM617 for $5-800, and transmission with adapter for about $500. Plus I'm looking for a new project and already have a running daily driver so I'd be able to take my time and learn about diesels (I love redblocks but know them inside and out and am getting a little bored with them). The eventual idea is to sell my current car and use this as a simple and reliable daily driver, so I'm not looking for speed or excitement and the reliability is appealing (same reason I like redblocks).

Anyway, I'd rather go with a manual transmission but what with having to figure out a clutch pedal (since manual volvos are rare, and I'm really aiming for a 7/900) and the location of the shifter it seems like it would be simpler to go with an automatic. I'm especially interested in the AW4 automatic since I like aisin-warner transmissions and there are tons of them used for as little as $100. It looks pretty easy to hook up since I can buy an adapter plate and it will work without an ECU using manual switches.

. running OM617 for $5-800

I promised that engine will be roached out to $h!t. New injectors new pump, head job(because noone adjusts the valves every 15k so carbon builds up on valves, and will leaking ass., its 3-5k for a proper rebuild for one of those engines. In the end won't hold its value, a stock w123 fetches big $$$$ , and the 2 doors and tourings will be 911 money soon enough.

Is there any reason you can't build a bad ass d24 that already bolts in and puts down more HP? Or that dude that does tdi conversions.

You will need an OD transmission, the stock Mercedes 4speed has a direct 4th gear. It's also a worse slushbox than the AW box under the Volvos, but bulletproof. So, sticking it in there and saying I'll replace it when it dies is a long-term thing.
I make a kit to bolt the OM617 to a Ford truck smallblock bellhousing, using the M5R2 or ZF S5-42 transmissions, but neither of those is going to give you a good shifter location. The Thunderbird Supercoupe came with an M5R2 with a tailshaft shifter, but the wrong bell. So, my car is getting a custom built trans using the truck main case and Supercoupe guts. It should be interesting.

You will need an OD transmission, the stock Mercedes 4speed has a direct 4th gear. It's also a worse slushbox than the AW box under the Volvos, but bulletproof. So, sticking it in there and saying I'll replace it when it dies is a long-term thing.
I make a kit to bolt the OM617 to a Ford truck smallblock bellhousing, using the M5R2 or ZF S5-42 transmissions, but neither of those is going to give you a good shifter location. The Thunderbird Supercoupe came with an M5R2 with a tailshaft shifter, but the wrong bell. So, my car is getting a custom built trans using the truck main case and Supercoupe guts. It should be interesting.

Damn, do you make anything that marries a common 5 speed to my 616. I'm tired of the 4500rpm at 65 on the wagon. My ears want to explode. And that OEM 5 speed is hens teeth.

I'm tentatively looking for someone to install one of these setups in a 300 as a guinea pig. I -think- the M5R2 will fit in the tunnel, since people put US engines and transmissions in without too much trouble, but I'm not sure how the 616 will behave with this heavy of a flywheel or those ratios.
I'd recommend sticking a 300SD diff up under there, that'll get you 3k on the freeway, but the 616 already struggles with the stock low gears. If yours had a turbo it might make it a bit better.

I'm tentatively looking for someone to install one of these setups in a 300 as a guinea pig. I -think- the M5R2 will fit in the tunnel, since people put US engines and transmissions in without too much trouble, but I'm not sure how the 616 will behave with this heavy of a flywheel or those ratios.
I'd recommend sticking a 300SD diff up under there, that'll get you 3k on the freeway, but the 616 already struggles with the stock low gears. If yours had a turbo it might make it a bit better.

When I put the 616 in my touring with the stock 3.46 rear I couldn't get out of third. I had to put in the 3.69 to get above 55. I'd like the euro rear 3.91 as a better match. The 616 won't make power below 3000rpm.

Why bother with the 617? D24T is just as good, if you forget the stupid reputation...and revs more.

If you get a car with hardy joint instead of the 4 bolt flange (or just get the front shaft with hardy), you can bolt anything behind it...those driveshafts are really flexible regarding lenght, an inch or two or so shorter transmission rearmost point will be fine.

Which brings me to the next thing... Why not go with bimmer? M21 out of an E28 or E30 td, maybe some early E34's too would bolt right in with an hour of fabricating mounts. 5spd Getrag behind it bolts to the crossmember, hardy bolts to the driveshaft, coolant hoses slip right onto Volvo radiator, Volvo M47 shifter rod bolts to the transmission, M47 shifter assembly is another 15 minutes to fix...think about it. Bavarian sixes are by far the easiest swaps to Volvos (apart from bolting an Audi I5 to Volvo diesel tranny) ever, they're like the sixes Volvo always ought to have but never did. I did an M50B25 to Volvo 960 wagon, thread in my sig, check it out to get the basic idea, since M50 is basically DOHC M20, which is esentially a petrol M21...

Heck, I'm contemplating opposite aproach, got an E28 shell and a dresh D24TIC...

4bt's are awesome, been looking for one that is reasonable for about 4 years now... been wanting to put one in my bronco for a loooong time. If you find one email me a link :cool:

Best price i've found on them around my area is $1500 for a rebuildable complete engine that doesn't run... The 4x4 guys snatch them up and have driven the price through the roof here. I refuse to pay 1500 bucks for a blown engine :p

it's getting to the point that I'm just considering doing the 5.3 LS swap into my bronco, cheaper and probably better even with buying the standalone fuel injection computer.

Back