• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

tfrasca's 142 Turbo Project

We can talk radiator stuff at Davis Tyler. This setup I am doing is looking straight up legit and should have the capacity to cool even with boost. Should have it on the road this weekend.

Can you share with the class once you're content with the results? Definetly would like to improve cooling down the road if I go OHC.

Definitely.

As it is, recored stock radiator with a 3-row brass core and a DeRale efan/shroud setup, spec'd at 2100cfm on high. Had a fitting added above the lower hose so I can run a switch in the radiator as well, plan to run the BMW 2-stage switch that runs 195/180 and 210/195.

Great build. I love the subdued engine bay. And I'm excited to see/hear how the BW works out. I always like hearing what Duder has to say and take seriously his prescription for the 3067 for our cars, but I do like the S series BW's.

Not too much has been happening with this car. Almost all my project energy has been going into the house we bought. It's been 7 months of heavy renovation, with seemingly no end in sight. AND, our baby is coming in 2.5 weeks!

Anyway, I have been driving the car a good amount. I can't get LH not to dump too much fuel in under load, which is frustrating. It had what seemed like weak spark, and would always cut out at higher boost. So, I had Duder solder a wasted spark board into my EZK for me, and got that installed a couple weeks ago, along with one step colder plugs (NGK 8s). That fully cured the spark blowout, but the over rich condition persists. Gary and Ryan have been making progress with LH tuning, and I'm going to try their latest tune before I ditch LH for good.

DjMdIXf.jpg

I bought that big wooden Nardi way before my car had a turbo, or any power whatsoever. It was great for a slow cruiser, not so great for a much faster street car. I finally pulled the trigger on a smaller leather version of the same wheel. This is one of the best things I've done for the driving experience.

i1NREF3.jpg

And that's pretty much it. I plan on making some slight cosmetic changes soon, just to change it up and keep me interested. But really, I foresee a Microsquirt (or similar) conversion in my future. There are so many things this car needs, but the powertrain should be pretty damn solid now, and these LH drivability issues are a real buzz kill.

you take good photos

QFT

The switch to MS is the best thing I have done to my car, lots of hyperbole about the "fixes" to our cars (T5 noises, pinion angle settings, LH issues, on and on) but really MS is the one "fix" that actually works. I won't put LH back in the car, it starts and runs better than ever, with closed loop it even acts like a normal car.

Are you going to be around for Car Week? MY wife and I will be in Moss Landing between 8/16-8/18.

Good going on house and babby. Those are the ones that take the real dedication :lol:

The switch to MS is the best thing I have done to my car, lots of hyperbole about the "fixes" to our cars (T5 noises, pinion angle settings, LH issues, on and on) but really MS is the one "fix" that actually works. I won't put LH back in the car, it starts and runs better than ever, with closed loop it even acts like a normal car.

Verily. It works out being cheaper in the long run too, go figure.

you take good photos

QFT

Thanks, guys. Figured with the baby coming, I should probably dust of the ol' DSLR.

Chris, I'm pretty set on going to some kind of programmable ECU, just not sure which one yet. I'm hoping LH can just get me by for a while (Gary's tune has been working really well for him), just because of everything else I have going on. I'd hate to rip all the LH stuff out of my car and then have it sit for 6 months while I adjust to having a baby.

Are you going to be around for Car Week? MY wife and I will be in Moss Landing between 8/16-8/18.

Good going on house and babby. Those are the ones that take the real dedication :lol:

I am not planning on going down for Car Week. If baby is on time, we will have not slept for about 2 weeks, and even a day trip to Monterey seems unlikely. We'll see.

Thanks re: house + baby. Two things I kind of never thought would happen, but am extremely excited about.

For standalone, check out Link if you haven't already. They are high quality, high featured, and reasonably priced for what you get. No affiliation just sharing observations.

Glad to hear the wasted spark installation helped with blow-out!

For standalone, check out Link if you haven't already. They are high quality, high featured, and reasonably priced for what you get. No affiliation just sharing observations.

Glad to hear the wasted spark installation helped with blow-out!

Have you used a Link? How's the software?

Have you used a Link? How's the software?

I've played around with one for a while helping Alex Buchka tuning his car on the street early on after his whiteblock swap. Talk to him for a detailed review, but to me the software seemed fairly intuitive. I've seriously considered buying one for my 245 project but stumbled across a Bosch Motorsport ECU so I'm going to try that out first.

Tell Ryan to get off his arse and get you that latest chip. Works really well on mine but I'm on straight E85, should still do pretty well for you. We really need to get together, spend an afternoon and dial you in, got a big bag of tricks up my sleeve at this point. ;)

I6qL9vx.jpg

ZGE798d.jpg

Put the 73-74 grill on. I like the change, but mostly just because it's a change. We had our baby girl on the 15th, so this is definitely going to be the last change on the car for a while. I think it'll keep me interested for a while.

Back