• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T56 Transmission Swap?

Mylesofsmyles

A Member
I know, I know, the T5 swap parts won't fit the T56, but how impossible is this swap?

I thought about it for a minute....there are a couple style units, one from the firebirds and one from the mustangs. the mustang one should put the shifter in about the same position as the t5, no? use the driveshaft and I'd assume one might be able to use the yoshifab driveshaft adapter. all you'd have to do is bend over hard and pay someone to make you a custom bellhousing and tranny bracket, the latter i can probably do myself.

just pontificating...kinda a hot idea if you ask me.

was looking at the gear charts tho...only the 93 firebird had a t56 with a gear set i like....it's got the 3.36 first gear. so i dunno how hard it'd be to transplant that gear set to a mustang t56 case

But a T56 would be one nice unit...Summit sells some units with a tq rating of 500ftlbs.....Ive been tempted for my next big mod.

have you seen one? they are huge. Physically fitting that will require lots of tunnel mods.

i know they're big, but you're really concerned with it fitting in a 240? guys with v8 swaps aren't doing trans tunnel mods, are they?

on the miata, i think guys flare the tunnel like 4" wider, but just assumed it wouldn't be an issue on the brick....maybe i should waste my time fitting a miata 6 speed to the b230ft, lolz.

They need lots of beating to fit in a 740, and they are HEAVY. Strong tranny though and decent shifting, at least, the one I drove with insane internals (supposedly designed for over 1000lb/ft and expensive)

PJ

I think a modified tractor engine would cruise easily at 2krpm. My dad's gutless 745GLE tows a 242 pretty easily at 2400rpm.

from what i was seeing....i can keep the same first gear and get 2 overdrives with the lowest being .62. totally feasable when your driving 80mph with 4.10 gears.

1st gear is a 2.66. You're going to be running a 4.56 or shorter rear end to get the ratios to work anyways. At that stage the 0.50 is tall but not THAT tall. 60-70mph with a 4.56 rear would be great.

At what speed though?

Myles, what rear end ratio do you plan on running?

i've got the 3.91 set now, but thought i'd go down to the 3.7 after my b230ft swap and some boostage!

looked at the gear chart...the 1st gear on the T56 isn't all that good for us unless we use the gear set from a 93 firebird...it's got the same 1st gear as a T5...3.36. So use the firebird gear set and you've got a nice 1st through 5th and then have a super O/D for the freeway

Back