• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SquareD's slow and steady 945 tarbo project

Are you running a strut tower brace? I've got a CT upper that I'll be attempting to straighten and fit to my DD. Guy that sold me that one said he broke 2 throttle spools before he figured out the brace was his 3rd engine mount!

Are you running a strut tower brace? I've got a CT upper that I'll be attempting to straighten and fit to my DD. Guy that sold me that one said he broke 2 throttle spools before he figured out the brace was his 3rd engine mount!

It was quite obvious on my car that it was too close. Spacing the brace up with a couple washers was more than enough clearance though.

Also, op, your wagon is beautiful. Love the color.

Last edited:
My cherry turbos brace has about 1/2 inch clearance and has a slight bend above the spool for that reason. I also have washers under the mounts as well. There is some small evidence of it hitting. I remember having some noticeable marks from the spool on the TME brace I had on my 740 too.

I put a piece of tape there to see if it's hitting on my car. My stock hydro engine mounts seem pretty solid still.

I'll report any findings.

Last edited:
Cool! I'll have the old school 7 engine mounts (83-85?) after this final round of mods & maintenance. I don't want to find another strut brace.... took forever to get the CT! Not exactly a bunch of parts floating around for the 7/9s.

Didn't get a ton of miles in or anything, but did some spirited driving with some WOT and the tape didn't indicate any interference on my setup. Here's a shot of how much clearance I have.

36068713035_afa25ea5de_b.jpg

Last edited:
Dustin, you still running hydro mounts? Good to know the CT brace apparently came factory with a "pre-bend" for clearance.

Mine has the powdercoat cracked right at the throttle spool.... and more bend than yours shows. Simplest explanation would be my brace's PO had a blown drivers side (tension) engine mount. The next thing I'd like to see is if the B21F intake would clear any better to the brace? The only guy I know of running that setup was in the UK.... can't recall his name but he might have posted a thread about his experience in Performance.

Dustin, you still running hydro mounts? Good to know the CT brace apparently came factory with a "pre-bend" for clearance.

Mine has the powdercoat cracked right at the throttle spool.... and more bend than yours shows. Simplest explanation would be my brace's PO had a blown drivers side (tension) engine mount. The next thing I'd like to see is if the B21F intake would clear any better to the brace? The only guy I know of running that setup was in the UK.... can't recall his name but he might have posted a thread about his experience in Performance.

Yeah, they're stock hydro mounts; seems like mine are holding up well. I found a OE set in boxes in a JY 940 a few years ago, so I'm set for mounts for a while.

I've gotten there. I've always dreaded this moment, but I've just let it wash over me. I've completely lost motivation and have no time to even drive this car anymore. I think I put ~900 miles on it this "season" and most of that was going to a handful of cars and coffee events (I kinda live in the sticks, so everything's a drive).

After reality set in, I sold off my NIW manifolds and cleared out some parts; sold a decent amount of stuff in general. I have a do88 intercooler on order and I still have BNE's QSRCs sitting with fresh ball joints and tie rod ends in a box waiting to go on. Oh yeah and the M90's collecting dust. The car's due for a wash and fresh coat of polish/wax and then I'll throw the cover on it and hope I muster up some motivation closer to spring.

I wish I was one of those people that just knocks projects down over the winter, but now I mostly work on not getting fat and I'll be coaching my oldest daughter's basketball team this year. My 17mo is still a ton of work and is now in his "Dennis the Menace" stage and has somehow climbed up on a table or tried to eat a bouncy ball every time you turn around. My middle 5yo might be the sweetest instigator you've ever met. That's probably the role most middle children take up...

Oh and for whatever reason I went full-on weirdo and bought a 2004 Honda Helix with 3400 miles. Everytime I add a kid to the mix, I have this incredible urge to buy a motorcycle... So dumb, right? With my 2nd I bought a 2000 Triumph TT600 sportbike, but I didn't want anything that serious this time around. I kept looking for progressively cheaper, slower and more reliable motorcycles and heard that the "so 80's it hurts" Helix is basically 95% of the motorcycle that anyone needs.

It's dead reliable, does a confirmed 74mph, has a trunk (lolwut) that fits a pizza and a couple 6 packs, actually handles decent and has what I'd describe as "peppy" git-up-and-go around town... oh and it's like riding around on a freakin' barcalounger it's so dang comfortable. If you can get over riding something so strange and yellow, it's actually pretty awesome. I got a decent deal, so I'm confident I'll at the very least get my money back on it. I probably will conclude that I don't have time to ride this either, but we'll see.

IMG_20171130_193202_777 by D H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Got that wash and wax in this weekend. Ran some errands, heard a new clunk in the rear suspension. Bulb out light is on in the dash, condensation in the taillight, but all the lights are working. Probably just need to dry it out and clean up the connections. I might just put it up on jackstands and cover it up, that way when I want to do some work on it it'll be ready to go.

DSC06160 by D H, on Flickr

DSC06162 by D H, on Flickr

DSC06161 by D H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Envious of that paint & wax job! The sad reality of a Polar White car..... they never look that good.

Good night, sweetheart, good night.

edit - thanks for the tip about ARD.... I've got the balanced 19t installed, just waiting to complete the other eleventy-dozen tasks to actually get the car running in the 1st quarter '18.

Envious of that paint & wax job! The sad reality of a Polar White car..... they never look that good.

Good night, sweetheart, good night.

edit - thanks for the tip about ARD.... I've got the balanced 19t installed, just waiting to complete the other eleventy-dozen tasks to actually get the car running in the 1st quarter '18.

There are advantages to single stage though. This car has some noticeable etching spots on the hood and roof. But yeah, I had a polar white car and could never get it to shine like this.

Good deal on the Ard kit. That'll make a nice 'tweener turbo for you.

Super sharp looking!

Thanks John.

Have someone install the M90 for you? If you don't have time, then just pay. :nod:

I've thought about it and called a few Volvo specific places and they seemed apprehensive because they weren't familiar with the M90. Couple that with not really wanting to pay $800-1k to have it done for me and being a anal-retentive control freak. I'm fairly confident it'll be done by next summer. My dad finally finished his street rod project, so he's saying he'll have time to help out once he's back from snowbirding in the spring.

I think I spent about a day and a half getting an M47 into my 240. About a half day doing 'clean' work inside the car (brackets, drill the firewall, pedal swaps, remove shifter and ignition interlock stuffs) and a fairly solid weekend day pulling the trans out and putting the M47 in.

Back