• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

Speedo is inop, so gauging on gps distance. 3.31 is the bomb on the highway. Got to fix the heater...

Coolant / oil are full and clean. No funny leaks / odor. Woot!

Who removes an engine to clean it but won't change a heater fan that has no grease or fluids or crawling under the car for the entirety of the job?

Where do you spend your time while driving, under the hood making out with your engine or inside the cabin? I won't tell your wife... :freak:

All that time spent on motorbikes with a hot vibrating engine between one's legs changes the decision tree I guess? Heater N/A, engine is the heater, clean the engine! Logical.

Davis!!

IMG_7218-M.jpg

Made it home. Great trip. Notable surprising remarks from the better half: "I can see why you like this car." And: "I would take another road trip in this car." Thanks for all the suggestions on the project.

IMG_7235-M.jpg

So, on the good side of the ledger, she didn't break down. Turns out it's a terrific highway ride, aside from the noise. It makes 70-80 without a sweat. I didn't try it, but one feels like you're holding her back and she wants to run. Fuel economy was great. Lots of room. E-fan works great.

IMG_7233-M.jpg

On the negative: I could never get the seat back in just the right position. Fifth gear noise. Stereo had to be cranked to be heard. Need to fix the speedo and heater.

IMG_7243-M.jpg

All in all a good experience.

That will work...what I do at work with wiring that is subjected to flexing like that is to slide an abrasion jacket(that is just large enough for some room inside to let the wires move) over the wiring where it will be flexing and inject dielectric grease into the jacket to allow everything to flex and bend. I utilized this on an Cherokee that came in with wires that kept breaking for the hatch. I completed that fix in October(with the fire crews), with around 97k miles on the clock and has since been used and abused by various State agencies to date. Was in just yesterday for its 135k LOF. Wiring is handling great and no rub throughs/breakage. YMMV

^ :nod:

People like new though so he'll probably buy those coarser strand scamtech harnesses and do the whole song and dance for just a couple more years use, instead of pulling up the slack and going for another 15-20...

^ :nod:

People like new though so he'll probably buy those coarser strand scamtech harnesses and do the whole song and dance for just a couple more years use, instead of pulling up the slack and going for another 15-20...

I used the cheap replacements in my 86 and it's been fine for 10+ months. However, in the 88 I didn't put it in the right way (I just tucked it into the window seal and ran it through rust holes) so it got pinched and broke in a month or two.. So yeah, YMMV.

Back