• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Injectors on TLAO Surging Idle?

EivlEvo

(Added Video) New Injectors on TLAO Surging Idle?

Squad.

I suspect I already know the answer to this but in preparation for more turbo (93 245 +T currently a 15G IPD cam ebay IC and 3" exhaust) I swapped in the larger AMM from... whatever (960?) and some 55lb (577cc) injectors. I am on TLAO chips.

When I started the car on my old tune (read, I did not reset the ECU) it idled fine and my AFRs were PEGGED at 10 lol. But it idled fine.

I thought... ok... that's a solid proof of concept, lets reset and let it learn. Upon the first start post reset. Idle went straight to 2k and sat there for about a minute and then began surging between there and about 1300. After letting it sit and annoy my neighborhood for twenty minutes it seemed to stay at about 2k and every minute or so (consistent) it would drop the idle like it was going to stall, but it would save itself and go back to 2k.

Took it for a ride around the neighborhood. (Drives fine for a learning LH, aside from idle) and when I returned it idled fine surprisingly (but LITERALLY not until I pulled into the driveway haha). Shut it down and started it again about an hour later and was back to the surging idle. Ran for about 5 minutes and shut it down.

Started this AM to roll into work. Same thing. Longer commute and LITERALLY did not settle the idle down until I parallel parked it.

It's like it KNOWS when I'm at my destination! How smart is LH anyway :lol:

Anyhow... I just want to be sure I'm not missing something glaringly obvious and that this is "normal" for LH getting fuel rammed down it's gullet?

Last edited:
I do know that when I switched to my TLAO chips, it took almost 2 tanks for my LH24 car to figure out what it was doing. I have heard that it takes a tank for them to learn genrally, mine is just a little slower than most, I recommend waiting a bit longer. Just keep an eye on things, Rich is as bad as lean in some conditions as you know.

I do know that when I switched to my TLAO chips, it took almost 2 tanks for my LH24 car to figure out what it was doing. I have heard that it takes a tank for them to learn genrally, mine is just a little slower than most, I recommend waiting a bit longer. Just keep an eye on things, Rich is as bad as lean in some conditions as you know.

Yeah for sure. Mine has been on the 2ish tank plan as well. It's "idling" with 14.7 AFRs whether at 2k or when I finished both trips and it settled in to ~700rpm.

I feel good about this advice. Was just curious if anyone else has has such excitement.

Dumb question... is there any time limit for the ECU reset? Like... if I disconnect the battery... is it an instant wipe?

I would check for leaks and go over the basics making sure things are working correct as I have only seen a higher idle but never a big hunting of the idle that makes it seem like you are reving the engine.

I would check for leaks and go over the basics making sure things are working correct as I have only seen a higher idle but never a big hunting of the idle that makes it seem like you are reving the engine.

Yeah I'll double check... it seems an awful lot like there's a boost leak, but I haven't located one and all I did was swap injectors and AMM (all I did lol).

The thing that makes me think this is "normal" is that when I started the car with the 3" AMM and the 577cc injectors WITHOUT resetting the battery/tune, the car idled fine but showed AFRs in the 10's.

It also drives just fine aside from some detonation when I hit boost while it learns... but I recall it doing that the last time as well.

I dunno... guide me you guys.

Common issue after swapping injectors is the orings at the base of the injectors causing a vac leak and boost leak. Depends on if you used new orings.

Common issue after swapping injectors is the orings at the base of the injectors causing a vac leak and boost leak. Depends on if you used new orings.

I did... I'll check and re-seat... I know the c clip things at the top were effectively useless because the injector bodies are so much wider... not sure how to address that?

But also... it idled fine prior to re-setting the ECU... which would seem to support the boost leak test I did?

I'm going to check it all again if it hasn't settled in by this weekend, but... I'm optimistic?

You don't think the 577cc/min is too much for the 3" AMM right? I read a lot of your posts about it and while it's on the rich side of ideal, it seemed that it would fit under the wire no?

First start was 10:1 idle and cruise, I let it idle for 3-4 min and then took it for a light throttle drive of about 7-8 miles. After that I shut it off and the next day I did a cold start and idle afrs were around 12:1. I went for another light throttle cruise and afrs leveled out to 14.7 for cruise and idle after about 1-2 miles. From there I drove it to work and back over the next couple of days being light on the throttle and not doing more than 70% throttle or any hard lifts off throttle. The next tank of gas I drove it as I normally do and all was fine. Those first few cold starts and drives over the first 100-250 miles there would be times were I would get a 1500-1800rpm idle but if you tap the gas or hit the brake a few times the idle would go up and then back down to around 1100. After that first tank was done most all of the little issues were gone. Afrs were a bit rich under load for that first tank but after that things were fine.

Depending on how well you treat LH on the learning cycle will determine how quick it learns.

Then again on my 744 with LH my ecu would be reset at the track when they tested the battery kill switch and after that I would get one or two hot starts and idles done and then be going full throttle down the track with the afrs being correct but that was on a map that I had already fine tuned by hand. That LH setup was what was able to do consistent low 12s every time. Each pass down the track always got a little faster but that could of also been because of it getting cooler out along with LH leaning out as it learns.

Hmm... well, I feeeeeeel like it's making progress. I'm less than a half tank into it. I'm definitely going to check things over this weekend, but for now... I'll trust the system.

Side question... what is it actually DOING during this time? I assume the maps are in there... why would it shuffle through? Why would it not want to bias rich for boost and lean? My car seems to knock hard if I go into boost during the learning curve?

Your ezk. 93 245+T 15g ~15psi big eBay cooler ipd cam 3" exhaust and amm with 577cc injectors.

Haven't really put it under load much with this reset yet. On the 315 orange tops and stock amm this setup would be high elevens under load.

If you are getting ping on 93 octane I would expect something to be off on your setup, base timing or something like that. on 91octane I can get 14psi without knock on nearly the same setup. Was there knock with the old injectors? When did the knock start?

Back