• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Uncertai PCV crankcase mishap 740 230f non turbo

sammeee

Uncertain PCV crankcase mishap 740 230f non turbo

Last night working late on changing the pcv breather box and flame trap something happened. I bought from IPD a new breather box. Unbeknownst to me there are two aluminum sleeves that sit in the bolt holes that were very loose on the IPD version. The old box had them too but they are super tight. I did not think to check the new one to see if they were snug as well.

While fiddling the new box around trying to get the new one installed both of the sleeves popped out. I found one but not the other. I am concerned it dropped into one of the two holes leading to the crankcase.

I checked with flash lights and being aluminum no magnet can work on those little sleeves. I could not see one in the holes. But I only found one sleeve and can?t find the other.

Question is IF that sleeve fell into one of those oil crankcase holes - what will Be the result of starting the vehicle?

BTW I drained the oil to see if anything passed through but nothing was there.

Any insights would be helpful...

Thanks

Last edited:
your options are pull the pan and get it or go for it I'm thinking it will just lay in the oil pan

Thanks for the quick response.. is it possible for me to pull the pan in my home garage? Some method without an engine lift? Maybe someone has a link to do that ?

Thanks for the quick response.. is it possible for me to pull the pan in my home garage? Some method without an engine lift? Maybe someone has a link to do that ?

You can pull the pan without removing the engine. I wouldn't recommend it though, it sucks and is very finicky. (edit: I actually am not sure if it can be done in a 740)

Also you could just buy some cheap oil and put it in the breather hole to flush it out

Maybe you dropped it into the drainback hose? If you did it won't go all the way to the pan. it will sit in the hose. Possibly blocking it but if the hose is clear it probably won't. There is usually a bunch of old oil crud in the hose from the years of use. So the piece would probably just sit on top of the crud inside the hose.

Last edited:
Back