• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

noroll volvo

docturbo

Hi all I am trying to get the front wheel bearing replaced on my 89 240. the old bearing was a poor quality one done by a garage , not by me . it let go .I have taken the hub off knocked out the races ,checked for damage ,cleaned , and gotten new bearing set and races . had a friend with the right tools insert the races ,axle stub cleaned and greased ,when i try to put the hub on it will not go on far enough to thread the nut on ?? i'm stumped, it was on fine before ,nothing looks wrong but the inner bearing seems to be too far out toward the rear edge of the hub ? the race seems to be in too shallow but it sits on the first step down from the back edge . maybe the outer bearing is too far out ? it also is seated on the step .I have no clue what could be making the bearings too far apart in the hub to seat correctly . How far in from the back edge of the hub should the inner bearing sit? I have to get this car back on the road . any aid greatly accepted . how far onto the axle should the hub go ? I have about half inch or more to the dust shield when it just won't go any further .

Take the inner bearing out of the hub and try to put it on the stub. If it does not go onto its correct location you will be better able to see what is going on. If it does go on, you will know to look elsewhere for the problem.

Back