• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gasket remover

Soundmonster

Anybody have an anaerobic style gasket just suck to a head surface and won't budge? I've tried the permatex gasket remover (the one with the brush applicator). I left it to soak near 45 minutes and NOTHING came loose. Acetone, plastic scrapper didn't help much either.

Any suggestions?? Unless PO used an epoxy resin, I don't understand why this stuff is so stubborn.

Thanks for your suggestions.

P.S.
This stuff is reddish in color, and is between the cam follower, and the head of the 16V.

the "anaerobic sealants" will respond to HEAT (it's how LocTite
recommends their removal...
if it is a RESIN then you *should* be able to fracture it w/COLD....
Z9zFgB8lTNM

b0BaowQvL6c

Take a long extension and a small hammer. Put the tip of the extension against the gasket and tap with the hammer. It usually works to get it to crack off. Also good to use when you don't have room for a gasket scraper or screw driver.

I had a oil pan that was sealed with a gallon of it from the PO, scraped what I could with a razor blade and used a wire cup brush to spin the rest of it off.

Thanks guys. Just got home, will give those suggestions a try. Stuff is really stuck to head.

-Thanks in advance!

IME the liquid Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealer/shellac is usually the hardest to get off.

I hate that stuff if removing it.

Back