• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Led powered 9004s

dmax99

Anyone using these with success.I'm tired of being blinded by oncoming traffic,& wondering if these are a viable option.There's tons of options on Amazon for one,& the pricing varies wildly.I 'm trying to find out if these are something I can use (without blinding other drivers,as much as I'd like to).

LED lamps are wonderful, in the housings they were designed to occupy.

They are worse than re-based HIDs in stock headlamps.

Don't do it. No one's made incandescent replacements yet and 9004 housing suck beyond all suck and ****ty LEDs in them isn't going to help.

Anyone using these with success.I'm tired of being blinded by oncoming traffic,& wondering if these are a viable option.There's tons of options on Amazon for one,& the pricing varies wildly.I 'm trying to find out if these are something I can use (without blinding other drivers,as much as I'd like to).

how will changing YOUR headlights stop you from being blinded by oncoming traffic?

how will changing YOUR headlights stop you from being blinded by oncoming traffic?

Because,If you approach a vehicle with 3 times the lighting power that you have,it overpowers your lights to the point of being virtually non-existant.Believe me I experience it every day.

look at the lines painted on the road... like everyone else does

or do what I do
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X2LTL8KgKv8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Because,If you approach a vehicle with 3 times the lighting power that you have,it overpowers your lights to the point of being virtually non-existant.Believe me I experience it every day.
So, according to that logic, if he has 5000 watts pointed at your face, and you have the same 5000 watts pointed at him, the lights cancel each other out, and you can both see perfectly? :???:

look at the lines painted on the road... like everyone else does

or do what I do
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X2LTL8KgKv8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah,I look at the lines(if they're there).

Bottom line... LED replacements are not a good idea, bad pattern, not enough light in right places. They are still in the novelty phase, much like the LED tailights I bought 15 years ago and still have in my bins, Current LED taillights work well and headlights will get there

As far as being blinded by oncoming traffic, just have to learn to look at the edge of their beams and not directly at the light, make sure your Windshield is clean and not full of pits.

So, according to that logic, if he has 5000 watts pointed at your face, and you have the same 5000 watts pointed at him, the lights cancel each other out, and you can both see perfectly? :???:

No,but you would both be suffering the effects of overly bright lighting equally.Why do I get the feeling that I'm talking at a dead phone.

Get some ecodes and good bulbs instead. Led headlamp bulbs aren't quite there yet in the retrofit world. Having done the hid thing, I am back to normal bulbs and a relay kit with far better light on the ground, far less glare for oncoming traffic.

Get some ecodes and good bulbs instead. Led headlamp bulbs aren't quite there yet in the retrofit world. Having done the hid thing, I am back to normal bulbs and a relay kit with far better light on the ground, far less glare for oncoming traffic.

Well,thanks for the reply,Yours makes the most sense of any I've read so far.I still may try to graft an H7 bulb mount to a 940 lamp with fogs.I've got a lot of free access to busted up H/lamps.

You have options but they take time and a little more money because you're going to want to do it right.

Don't install LEDs. You're going from a 1x3mm filament that is tightly wound and precisely focused in your reflector as to direct the light to the ideal position to give you light on the road as well as make you visible to other drivers without being blinding to others on the road. It will be impossible to focus a high output LED in the same manner, which means you're going to lose light on the road and you're going to be obliterating the retinas of the other drivers on the road.

If you want to do it right, install projectors. TheRetrofitSource.com sells projectors that will screw into your factory housings without much grief. They're optically correct and the light output is amazing. You'll want to get some sand paper out and remove the flutes from your lenses then polish them smooth but it will be worth it.

Another option is to change the front end to the 7" round style and install a set of trucklite LED headlights. They're also optically correct and very unique looking while still providing good light for you on the road and not blinding others.

The last option, and the easiest one, is install a set of e-code headlights and some high quality lamps. Maybe even slightly higher output lights (65watt low, 70 watt high) to give you that much more oomph.

Along with what ^^^^ said, with a set of Silverstar Ultra's (yes, I know, hype, whatever, they work), a relay kit, and the e-codes, they have a cutoff as sharp as a good set of projectors. Far less work than conversions, be it e-codes, earlier front end, whatever. I didn't even step up to higher wattage, though with the relay kit I may consider it next time I get bulbs.

Sylvania Cool Blue or Etra Vision 9004 bulbs are an improvement over stock replacements. White light is an improvement over yellow light any day (or night).

Back