• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

M40 to T5 adapter

If anyone wants one right now...I've got a complete V-Performance setup including the adapter, fasteners, modified clutch fork, TO bearing, pilot bearing and bell housing.

It'll take me a few days, but I can post pix of the shifter install. I only have final pix of the tunnel and pedal box. Only one small added piece was needed on the passenger floor to fill a gap. With the tunnel installed, a 1310 U joint on the front drive shaft half, the original tunnel has to be trimmed back as far as possible to gain adequate clearance for the slip yoke and u joint. This is most easily trimmed with a 90 degree die grinder and cutoff wheel.

Be advised, pushing the 1310 equipped drive shaft into the tiny original tunnel is a damn tight fit. It's fiddly and tight so a combination of rotation, pushing, pulling and the occasional mild swear or three is vital. It kinda corkscrews into position since the tunnel is slight lightly ovalised in shape. Once in position, there is plenty of clearance for the rotating assembly.

I have 1 inch of compression available for the slip yoke in the normal loaded suspension condition (in my case, about 1.5 in below stock ride height).

The shifter leans left slightly toward the driver side and comes right to hand as I drop my hand off the steering wheel... BAMM, right there, grab a gear and go! Stock mid 90s mustang lever is used without the the the rubber isolator.

As an aside, the VPD parts Canuck has are excellent quality and would make someone a great deal. Damn hard to fault the quality of VPD parts... John just makes me crazy during the acquisition process!!!

Last edited:
Well, they aren't really coming from anywhere right now. That's the point. I've sold my V Performance parts. No one is really making a complete conversion (including clutch fork) right now for a pushrod engine as far as I'm aware. I waited 2.5 years for V Performance to finish with all my parts. The machining is OK on the part, but I'm sure Roger-Dee (http://www.deeworks.ca/en/index.html) could do one (or any of the other machinists on this board) and even take a finish pass and deburr the corners for you (or not - it's really up to the market to dictate what gets sold).

I've got the avalanche system in my amazon. Real nice parts and all oem which is a plus for me. I like to able to get all of what I might need down the road by a quick trip to the local pars store. It also has the growth to take a 16v at some later date (big pipe dream of mine).

The tremek fits nicely even with a slightly modified amazon x member.

Beel

Hey man, I have an Avalanche T5 adapter plate and M40 bellhousing. I'll take $120 for both plus shipping... PM me if interested.

That's a terrific buy, Nick. If someone doesn't jump on this pretty quick, I just might! I don't need one right now.... but its hard to pass up a good deal with a 145 in the driveway.

To be clear, it is the single position unit setup, not the dual pattern that uses the m47 housing and clutch release sleeve.

beel

Moving the pedals is an easy project. In true Turbobricks style.... Just cut up two pair of pedals.

I would have welded them if I knew how to.
There might be some rotational wear on the plastic bushings.
This car is still under construction and I haven't done more than bleed the brakes so far.

From what I remember, low-end markets got 240s with B20s and M45 from '76-78? (these bellhousings are hard to find in the USA).

Stock 1975 240s came with vertically mounted B20F, but as an option that year, one could get a B21, which was slanted.

"Initially the overhead camshaft versions (B21) were offered as optional equipment on the 240, becoming standard in all markets by the 1976 model year."

I do have a M-40 bell-housing for B20F...sitting in trunk currently. I haven't decided if I will use it or not.

M40s/M41s were last used in 1975...then M45s in 1976 and onward.

B20 M46 debates

I'm sure this won't resolve this discussion, but basically (nothing to do with AT):

- prior to '75-> B20 with a M40 or M41 only
-'75 only -> B21 with a M40 or M41 and B20 with a M40 or M41
-'76 and '77 (I saw it mentioned '76 through '78) -> B21 with a M45 or M46 and B20 with a M45 or M46
-'78 -on -> B21 with a M45 or M46 only

http://www.locostsweden.se/ipb/index.php?showtopic=1654

Some pictures of what the B21/M40 and B20/M45 bellhousings:

Back