• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mid 80's 240 diesels???

Old Iron

I Roll
I have a couple of performance questions for a 1984 240 diesel, I did a search but guess I wasn't thorough enough?

• What kinda of fuel mileage do they get, are they considerably better then the traditional 240.
  • Are there any things I should look for when buying a diesel wagon.
  • What kind of towing capacity do they have, if any?
  • since they are much more rare then most 240's are they much more expensive to repair/find parts for

Thanks guys in advance!

32-34 mpg highway a m46 240 diesel nets. 25 or so city. Slow, VW engine from hell that is typically worn out around 200k miles. Injection pump aging issues and requires rebuilding.

So if you want that and the added bonus of paying .60 cents more a gallon for the pleasure of owning a 240 diesel then by all means go for it. The fuel gains/cost of diesel oh so are worth it.

Granted, a m46 240 diesel can cruise all day @ 75-80 mph but that's about it. I've owned a few myself and will never own another again.

yes, they get considerably better fuel economy than a gas 240. i got about 35 mpg highway with mine depending on how aggressive i was with acceleration. by aggressive i mean flooring it, which pretty much has to be done at all times to keep up with traffic. it was a little better after adding the turbo but still needed to be floored often. if you grandma your way into traffic and stay out of full throttle you can achieve very good fuel economy.

wait it out for one that's got an m46, the diesel is soo much better with an m46.

wait, did i just use m46 and better in the same sentence? i guess i did. :lol:

I thought diesels needed "WOT" as much as possible at tall gears to be at their peak efficiency? Anyways, they suck for mileage, for slowness, and for reliability.

Swap a 2 liter TDI for lulz, like Josh.

You can ask him to put his $666k to work and make you one. The swap is probably as expensive as buying a Diesel car and getting it to perfect working condition...

I had a 245 diesel, it made a cool noise but it wasn't worth it. Parts can't be found. Just get a Mercedes diesel wagon.

you thought wrong. in fact that's a poor use of a diesel 240 unless you live in california. they aren't as bad as people make them out to be, you just have to do your maintenance.

You can't - the bellhousing pattern is entirely different for the 6 cyl to 4 cyl VW TDI motor. Josh had to bust out with his $666k cnc machine and a computer to bust out the parts to make his work.

http://www.acmeadapters.com/

/\ /\ /\ Sells adapters to stick a RWD style Toyota trans on the TDi motor. They do it to stick a 4WD trans on the TDi, so they can stick it in a 'zuki. But I'd imagine sticking a 5 spd 2WD Toyota trans on it would work well for a RWD Volvo.

No clue on the price vs. Josh's adapter, or if Josh is even interested in making them or not. Just an option.

Thanks guys for the imput, I'm going to be driving between Mid-Long Island back to Delaware one to two times every week from september of this year until May of 2013. I was hoping these things get closer to forty miles to the gallon. My girlfreinds family has a **** load of equipment to make bio-fuel, they have been for over a year know with there 1999 turbo diesel Volkwagen. They are getting 40-50 something miles @ $1.14/gallon right now, so it seems half way feasible to do it with a car of my own!

You *can* get 40mpg, but you *really* have to work at it. In 2007, I drove my '84 245/M46 from Michigan to Nevada, carrying all my worldly possessions. I kept the cruise locked at 100km/h. In some of the flatter sections of this great land, I saw 42mpg.

But realistically, unless you are well-versed in VW Diesel repair and maintenance, it's not a good choice.

40 isn't bad at all, I average 36 mph on long trips in my 2006 honda accord, but still if I can save $3 bucks a gallon it might work! I have an extra m-46 sitting in the garage too, is the swap as simple as it would be for a b230 f?

I thought diesels needed "WOT" as much as possible at tall gears to be at their peak efficiency? Anyways, they suck for mileage, for slowness, and for reliability.

Swap a 2 liter TDI for lulz, like Josh.

You sure have alot of strong opinions about diesels considering how ignorant you are of them. Diesels generally perform much better than gas engines in regards to fuel efficiency. Slowness? They range in "slowness" as much as any other engine. Your statement is much too broad to have any real meaning. Reliability? Hmmm... Diesels engines tend to have a lifespan around twice that of their gasoline counterparts.

The D24 is definitely not a powerful engine, with only 75 to 100 Hp, but ranging from 25 to 35 mpg pulling the large and heavy volvo body around is pretty good mileage.

Sorry but you obviously have no idea what youre talking about. its irritating.

You sure have alot of strong opinions about diesels considering how ignorant you are of them. Diesels generally perform much better than gas engines in regards to fuel efficiency. Slowness? They range in "slowness" as much as any other engine. Your statement is much too broad to have any real meaning. Reliability? Hmmm... Diesels engines tend to have a lifespan around twice that of their gasoline counterparts.

The D24 is definitely not a powerful engine, with only 75 to 100 Hp, but ranging from 25 to 35 mpg pulling the large and heavy volvo body around is pretty good mileage.

The D24 is heavy, slow, a PITA to work on and can be counted on to leak. Oh...... They are good for 'Rolling coal' and eating glow plugs.

Modern diesels? Love 'em. Many to most common rail diesels with a turbo...... Good stuff. But the D24.... :barf:

Back