• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

learn me about adjusting boost please!

autoloclys

I +T'd my '92 240 last fall and this weekend I installed a MBC and am playing with the setting. be kind, i am new to this sort of project and trying to learn.

I have a turbo ECU and EZK and the better injectors and FPR, running a TD04-13c with an intercooler

Seems like im hitting a fuel cut though.

Is that accurate that the ECU will cut fuel as the boost gets up into the low teens? its a pretty dramatic event when it happens.

I'm not trying to make the car crazy, am aiming for 11-12 psi but want to know what things i have to be careful of now that i am well outside "normal" for this engine.

The easiest question i am asking is, is there a known boost level that keeps everything under the point where the ECU cuts fuel? I am not interested in wirehacking the AMM or chipping the ECU yet.

Last edited:
What is your spark plug gap?

Im not sure, but I think there is a thing that happens with small turbine housings.
I think it has to do with too much back pressure.

I had some really bad experience with a .48 turbine housing making 20#
I thought it was blowing out the spark but could not improve it.
.63 turbine housing on it now and it will pull right past that area now.

I also had troubles with that small housing making boost during cruise and wrecking the fuel mileage.

Stock turbo ECU use voltage readings from the MAF to determine how much "boost" you are making, the stock ECU will cut fuel if it gets a reading congruent to over pressure which it views at around 12-13 PSI.

Odds are you are hitting fuel cut and it may be time to add some aftermarket chips or turn it back down a tad.

Your readings of 12-13 PSI could be well above that, Hell my VDO gauge always read a PSI or two LOWER than it was, 12 psi is closer to 13 on my gauge.

Do you have a wideband? That'll tell you exactly whats happening.

The maf signal to the ECU is an analog 0-5v signal that correlates with the air mass travelling though it. At just under 5v, the Ecu will cut the fuel. You can measure this with a multi-meter at the ecu. When my car was +t'd, it'd hit fuel cut with the stock fuel rom at ~14psi. Check if your boost gauge is accurate as it may read low as Uncleknucklez said.

If you need a chip that disables the fuel cut, I'm local and have all the spare chips, software, and the programmer to do that. Let me know.

Back