• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 240 hydraulic handbrake

StreetForged

I have the lever already Installed, but am wondering if there are any nuances I should be aware of before attempting to do this job. All I need to do is T off from the master cylinder rear line into the handbrake, then T off again back into the two rear lines, correct? This is a single caliper setup, non ABS car. I also have a proportioning valve I was considering installing before the handbrake for burnouts. Are there any issues that come to mind with this plan?

I have the lever already Installed, but am wondering if there are any nuances I should be aware of before attempting to do this job.

What size is the piston on the handbrake?

All I need to do is T off from the master cylinder rear line into the handbrake

Not a T, just a single line.

then T off again back into the two rear lines, correct?

Yes, and remove the stupid factory valve thing

This is a single caliper setup, non ABS car. I also have a proportioning valve I was considering installing before the handbrake for burnouts. Are there any issues that come to mind with this plan?

I guess you could try, the the usual way to do it is to put a line lock on the front brakes.

Trying to tie into the stock Volvo dual triangulated brake system will be a nightmare. I run a dual caliper setup on my drift 740 and I've never looked back. Super simple to do, and you won't die if you get it wrong.

Trying to tie into the stock Volvo dual triangulated brake system will be a nightmare. I run a dual caliper setup on my drift 740 and I've never looked back. Super simple to do, and you won't die if you get it wrong.

Simple is good..
2 rear calipers is for all an awful lot of people going a lot of sideways in much trickier conditions enough to somehow manage fine..
And plumbing 2 calipers in the rear is simpler than plumbing 4.

Last edited:
Feeler: Stainless Steel Dual Caliper Brackets for 240 Series

dp8cx3.png

:lol: This again.

Ken Block have one so I need one.
R.I.P. Paul Walker.

"If you spend your money wisely, you can build yourself a hydraulic hand braking system for under $250."

I spent around 25$ for mine.
Took the handbrake from a ford (guess who had this idea first) and the clutch master from a Datsun 1979 (like 8$ on Rockauto).

A little bit of work to make a bracket, remove all the unessesary Volvo brake lining nonsense, and tadaaaaa!

Sounds like a winner.

I know we had this discussion before and I know you are not a fan of removing the OEM brake proportioning valve, but when I removed it (a while ago actually), I've put a manual proportioning valve (or reducer) on the rear line. After ****ing around a bunch on gravel, snow, and even asphalt, I was suspicious about the brake bias without the OEM proportioning valve, but not in the way you might think.

I actually think that the brake bias is too much toward the front (locks up WAAAAAAAY to early (especially on snow).

John tried to fool around on his 240 and had the same feeling.

A bit later, Eric Ewert (smart kid from Calgary who rallys a 240) came to John with the same suspicion.

Then SOMEBODY pointed out that in this book : How to Prepare the Sierra for Motorsport , they say to put an adjustable reducer valve on the line that goes to the front calipers.

I mean, we can't confirm anything, but there is food for thought here.

Ya right I have expounded many times about the possibility of recombining the Volvo junk pile to acheive the desired results, but it seems y'all would rather spend big money on racing parts at summit that don't fit the cars and then spend inordinate amounts of time adapting the american stuff to an european system.

Carry on....

I'm not following.
Who is spending money on what...how...when... Summit?

Que?

See your insults and raise you a proper taunting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/895eSm4oQRw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh yeah?

Thake this:

"How you English say, I one more time-a unclog my nose in your direction, sons of a window-dresser! So, you think you could out-clever us French folk with your silly knees-bent running about in dancing behavior! I wave my private parts at your aunties, you cheesy lot of second hand electric donkey bottom biters."

<iframe width="734" height="413" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RWhbTRHOvwY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:nod:

Dual diagonal is the spawn of the devil incarnate himself!

Ken...You know the old saying "Horses for courses"?

Or "different strokes for different folks"?

Or this from one of the greatest films EVER.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XpymdtJQFL0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:nod:

Dual diagonal is the spawn of the devil incarnate himself!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
iu

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ken...You know the old saying "Horses for courses"?

Or "different strokes for different folks"?

Nonsense! The horses designed by some limey in the last century were the pinnacle of all the horses!
Despite the fact that they themselves abandonned this horse design, as everybody else did, is revolting! Everybody should go back to those horses for ever!

Or this from one of the greatest films EVER.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XpymdtJQFL0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is one good movie.

Last edited:
Back