• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Plexi to replace hatch glass?

Stykthyn

Came out this morning to a shattered rear window on my 93 wagon. Until I can locate a replacement has anyone used lexan or plexi glass silicones into place?

I have done lexan door side windows. Lexan is shatterproof so that is why you use that instead of plexi. I would drill holes first and use rivets or sheet metal screws to attach the lexan. Also I'd put a metal bar in the middle vertical to also attach the lexan to as it will bow and move with the air and that would keep it from blowing out on a big piece like the rear wagon hatch glass size. I wouldn't use silicone I'd use window sealer black stuff if you are trying to make it not leak. Use lexan similar in thickness as the glass, way lighter. You could use thicker and it would be stronger and even bullet prof once you get up to 1/2 or more thick. But that is a lot more weight and just makes it harder to secure.

There is no real way to attach the lexan without drilling and screwing and welding so if you want to do it temporary I can't think of any way that would work without messing up your rear hatch, but easy enough to just replace the whole hatch with good glass in it. You might want to look into finding a good rear hatch. Unless the car is a race car and you want less weight go lexan.

agree on lexan over plexi (or; polycarbonate over acrylic)

if it needs to be shaped it can be heated up and shaped. I used a salamander space heater to curve it when I made quarter windows for my truck. FWIW I put the windows in 'temporarily' with ulta-black RTV and they've been stuck there for two years with no leaks. It will look better if you paint a 'frit band' around the perimeter like a factory windshield, see below:

PbMuaYj.jpg

55Mkp0r.jpg

Yeah I've called every glass and collision shop in town and they can't find it in thier system :(

Back