• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Troystopher: The BonerjamMobile

amerbritcan

Hnnnnnng
Oki dokes folks! I've got a new Volvo. "It's about time" seems to be the consensus on FB. Bear with me as I edit this post into something worth reading.

So here it is, in all its glory. A 1990 240 GL (whoops, DL), close to 500,000km, though the odometer quit at 320ish, and intermittently returns, so it reads 340ish. The engine was rebuilt at some point, and is bored over not-insignificantly. To quote my buddy Troy "it's more like 2.4L now" the M47 has been replaced with a really nice very low miles one, the old one is still fine and I'm pretty sure I have it somewhere.
picture.php

Here's the greasy engine bay
picture.php

Here's its bad side. You don't want to get on it's bad side.
picture.php

Plans are basic for now, step 1, get it road legal. Step 2, install some of my parts horde, and some of the parts horde that came with it. Highlights include most of what's needed for a +T, Lowering springs, adapters for 5x114.3, Trans am spoiler with brake light. +T will hopefully happen over the winter. We'll see. Updates will accompany progress.

I'm sorry Troy, but this thing is filthy. A lot of the work will be cleaning it :lol: I plan on making the engine bay a bit of a project in and of itself, the goal being to make it the nicest engine bay I've ever had. The PV was really nice so that'll be a tall order.

Last edited:
Last edited:
When Troy removed his plates, he just yanked on them because the bimetallic corrosion meant that the plates were severely weakened around the mounting holes. It also means that the acorn nuts that hold the plates on haven't budged in probably a decade.

I read somewhere that these 2 mixed 50/50 make the best penetrant money can buy, so I used some money and bought them. Soaked the acorn nuts and a few others I suspect will need removal.

picture.php

Got it registered, insured, and plated with temporary tags today, so it's road legal for the next ten days giving me time to get it safety inspected and emissions tested. Mangled the plate mounts trying to get the acorn nuts to free up. Broke 3 studs on the front and the back, so each plate is only held on with one nut :lol: It'll do for now. I'll get a new plate mount for the back sometime, and plan on ziptie-ing the front plate onto the lip once I've given this thing some lip-low.

I'm chomping at the bit to make this thing very low, and cruising CL/kijiji for some alloys to use with my adapters.

I'm also really sad that it'll need to get an exhaust for the emissions test, sounds mean as hell right now.

Nice, why don't you just drive this one for a while and enjoy, think about turbo and scratching the pavement later.................ohh ya and put a dam fire extinguisher in the trunk! Good luck with this one!

Hahaha I'm driving it to my mom's house tomorrow and the white fire extinguisher everyone signed is there so I'm going to put it in the car.

I'm excited to drive it tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've driven a 240.

I'm not committing to any timeline. I have a massive pile of parts to sort through, in multiple places all about an hour from each other, and a crazy-unpredictable schedule, s***-pay job, so I'm willing to admit that progress will be slow.

Last edited:
Drove the car 45 minutes to my mom's house and put the rear section of exhaust that fell off my 242 years ago on the car this morning. That was a hell of a chore. Took me a couple hours to remove the old rusty crud exhaust pipe slipped inside the coupler. Was super stoked that the exhaust fix (for now) was free though. Drove 25 minutes into town with what I think is a perfect exhaust tone. Silent at cruise with a nice raspyness when I floor it. Put a new battery in it, and didn't have to jump it to start it for once. Hopefully I won't have to again though the voltage gauge is still ominously low. Pics when I get home. Drove from the tiny town I bought the battery in, an hour and a bit into the city (Ottawa) and the voltage makes me worry about getting home tonight with having to run the headlights. True to form though, Troy left me a brush kit for the alternator. I'm hoping that and new belts will wake up the charging system.

I'll continue your first post for you.

Step 3: AWD twin-turbo twin-V8 hover-240

:rofl: If I win the lottery.

So it's started 4 times in a row now without needing the booster pack. And I drove it home in pitch black and torrential downpour for over an hour. The voltage gauge is worryingly low, but not getting any lower, so I think I can take my time with the alt rebuilding etc, worry about that after the safety inspection. Also after the safety inspection: Heater control valve. Driving in the city today with a high of 31 crazy Canadian degrees. 38 with humidity, with the heater also blasting furnace craziness all over my right leg. Waugh I did a lot of sweating today.

So at one point today I got caught by a yellow traffic light and decided to brake. Not slamming by any means but firmer pedal force than in normal driving. The rear tires locked up, and this light came on:

It's come and gone a couple times since. I'm 90% sure I have a dragging rear caliper too. Fun fun fun.

Speaking of hovercar:

"but first, jack up your car". Pretty stoked that my license plate has "TB" in it.

This is a piece of exhaust that a wanton speed bump in Kingston ripped off of my 242, leading to my very amusing story about coming flying around a corner with open DP, foot to the floor, only to come flying up on a police checkpoint.

Just the tip...just to see how it feels...

Several hours later, it's on like donkey kong. (my phone autopredicted "balls" after donkey. Uhhhh....)

Really really loving being back in a 240. I love driving this thing. Makes me feel like all is right with the world. I'd love to find 242 seats for it, because I swear they go back further. And possibly sit lower. This seat is as far back as it goes and it feels like the position I'd put it to in the 242 if I had a tall person sitting behind me. Good enough, but not optimal. Also I'm too tall to see any of the gauges well. It really feels great to be rowing through the gears again too, I missed having a clutch pedal.

Last edited:
Replaced my passenger- side taillight with a really nice one I found in the attic of my workshop. That involved transferring over the floppy circuit thing. Still got a brake light out, and it's not the bulb or the cup thing, I'm thinking bum floppy circuit thing.

Modified and installed the brand new return spring Troy left me for the hood latch to actually do what it should, installed the grille. Found a can of aerosol "rust converter" in the trunk and emptied it on all the little rust spots I could find. Also found a can of rubberized asphalt so I gave the rockers a spray to hide the few rusty spots.

Installed the rear trim piece. Felt like I was at it for an hour, and I'm still not confident in how it fits. It's the best I could do.

Between the new exhaust, taillight, grille and freshened up rockers it's really looking sharp.

Last edited:
Nice to see you have another volvo project
Was sad te see you in Dodge Journeys or whatever that was at Carlisle :-P

Nice to see you have another volvo project
Was sad te see you in Dodge Journeys or whatever that was at Carlisle :-P

I knoooow. It's comfy for a road trip, I'll give it that, but taking a dodge journey to a freaking Volvo meet is soul crushing.

Just bought $600 worth of stuff from iPd and FCP Euro. That stung a little.

Here's a couple shots

Temporary sticker has run out, and the bushings from iPd and the brakes from FCP aren't here. FCP even sent me an email telling me "your order shipped out 4 days late, sorry". I replied saying I was in a time crunch and that was unacceptable and I picked the fast shipping for a reason etc. What did they reply with? "like we said, sorry".

I've used FCP for over 5 years. Won't use them again. I used to use them because they had worldease shipping (no border-crossing fees) but they did away with that too. Thoroughly unimpressed.

Temporary sticker has run out, and the bushings from iPd and the brakes from FCP aren't here. FCP even sent me an email telling me "your order shipped out 4 days late, sorry". I replied saying I was in a time crunch and that was unacceptable and I picked the fast shipping for a reason etc. What did they reply with? "like we said, sorry".

I've used FCP for over 5 years. Won't use them again. I used to use them because they had worldease shipping (no border-crossing fees) but they did away with that too. Thoroughly unimpressed.

cough cough eeuroparts.com :)

Front brakes are next. I'll be giving eeuroparts a go then, or at least checking them out. Anyone else want to weigh in? Also, I noticed there was an option for vented or non vented front brakes while shopping the rears. I'm pretty sure this car has non vented fronts. What's involved in converting to vented fronts? Just buy the discs and the corresponding calipers?

Back