• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1989 245 first car

williebox

My 1989 Volvo 245 Build thread

History:
When I was 15, I started the hunt for my first car, and for reasons I cant remember anymore I decided I had to have a 240 wagon. Eventually I found the one I wanted (and could afford). A 1989 240 DL wagon with 212,000kms, a B230F and an auto for $700. First thing I bought was a set of virgo rims for $100, then I cut the springs a bunch, and drove it. Later I bought IPD lowering springs and sway bars and Koni Adjustable shocks and struts. A few coils cut from the IPD springs it was nice and low. Looking for more power now I found a B23E+T for sale complete with an m46 for $300, so I planned to drop that in and away I go. The guy I bought it from said it ran perfectly and dyno'd at 195whp@8psi. I tore into the block and found a cracked piston as well as a cracked exhaust manifold and turbine housing. Ive been around small blocks my whole life because of my dad, so I started leaning towards a small block 350. I found a good engine, circle track 355 chevy crate motor, 350hp, 400ft-lbs. Long story short there was absolutely no way i would ever be insured on this thing, especially being 18 at the time, plus it just didnt feel right to replace the redblock. So, turbo redblock it was.

Heres where its at

Engine
Wiseco pistons 96.6mm 8.5:1CR
RSI H-beam rods with ARP studs
polished crank
engine balanced
160 head with few hours of porting
38/46mm valves
unknown valvetrain
custom cam, 12.44mm lift, unknown dur.
KL Racing extreme exhaust manifold
KL Racing intake manifold
KL Racing 50mm wastegate
KL Racing 4" intercooler
Holset Hx35/Hy35 hybrid with 4" downpipe
ebay 3" intercooler piping kit
megasquirt 2 v3.57

Drivetrain
Th350 trans with transbrake
Still looking for converter, ~5000 stall
One piece drivestaft
Ford 8.8 (shortened) with disk brakes
4.10 Richmond gears
Moser Street custom length axles

Wheels
15x4 front Billet Specialty Street RT
15x7 rear Billet Specialty Street RT
235/60/15 Mickey Thompson ET Street
26x4x15 Hoosier Drag Front
Front hubs and rotors re-drilled to 5x4.5
Rear axles drilled to 5x4.5

Heres how it was with cut springs and a stock b230f
p4pb10919329_zpszs0kb1hr.jpg

After painting engine bay
p5pb12057255_zpsmtjpahfv.jpg

p5pb12057253_zpss8fajbfj.jpg

p5pb12057252_zpsxfqxhdik.jpg

p5pb12156034_zpscbb57mln.jpg

p5pb12156039_zpslzp5lxws.jpg

p5pb12156044_zpsypyanh2l.jpg

p5pb12156041_zps2ajobzii.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Thanks, no only the engine bay was repainted. Rust spots were ground down, smoothed out, and then primed, painted, and cleared, all spray bombed with cans in the garage. The rest of the body is in pretty good shape, aside from the regular scratches and scrapes here and there from being 25 years old, still shines up good tho. Battery tray was also cut out and relocated to the rear, so all of that had to be painted and cleaned up

photo%203_zpscohollue.jpg

photo%202_zpsi1wrvm9n.jpg

photo_zpsocvukzx7.jpg

I'm sad that you didn't patch that hole in the filler panel while it was in bare metal, but it looks like you are well on your way to having a nice ride.

WOW! Talk about getting off to a nice start! Looks like this will be a sweet ride when finished. I can see why you have no $$$ for a real transmission, lol but those are some sweet pieces you've got there.

this is such a good example of a bad azz brick!
I absolutely love the combo of the 'soccer mom' kinda feel to the car, along with the color, but packing a huge powerplant! love it!

Not really digging the wheels at this point but overal I think i'll be following this one

btw; awesome results on the spray canned engine bay

I'm sad that you didn't patch that hole in the filler panel while it was in bare metal, but it looks like you are well on your way to having a nice ride.

my resources are somewhat limited, and my welding skills arent quite up to par, i would have liked to do a full resto and mod, but im doing what i can for now

True. I bought an entire rust free front clip for about $20. It was a steal.

I'm not trying to put anybody down. It's a nice start for sure.

Looking good! Can you get a better photo of that exhaust manifold with the WG showing? Thanks!

cant find the wastegate right now, its a kl racing 50mm with an 8psi spring to start

p5pb12237707.jpg

p5pb12237706.jpg

p5pb12237705.jpg

also got some intercooler piping fit

p5pb12237723.jpg

p5pb12237722.jpg

Thanks. Curious to see how that runner fits with the alternator.
Keep it up. I'm enjoying these photos!

Haven't had a lot of time lately to work on it, right now I'm fitting the alternator onto the power steering bracket where the ac compressor used to be, no room on the other side cause of the manifold. Also been been buying a few things here and there to try and finish up the block and head so they can come back and I can start legitimately putting everything into place. There will be more to come in the next few weeks, have just been in a bit of a lull with time and money for more shiny go fast goodies

Haven't had a lot of time lately to work on it, right now I'm fitting the alternator onto the power steering bracket where the ac compressor used to be, no room on the other side cause of the manifold.

I had a feeling about that one.
Hurry up and make some time for this.. I need more pictures.

Havent updated in a while, had some issues with insurance which put this project on hold for the past 2 months or so. Trying to work out something out for insurance, but where im at it looks like next year the car is only going to be a race car opposed to a "street car". I got new turbo exhaust valves, and new seals to finish the head. I am still planning on running the RSI stage 2 cam, but I also have a K cam that needs to be polished and I might play around with that once its all together and running. Got a stock head gasket to try and keep my expenses down for now. I wont be running much boost to begin because of the m47 and stock rear end, wastegate pressure is set at 7.25psi, but I also have 9 and 12psi springs I can try and hope nothing breaks. Some little things I have done in the meantime is covert the interior back to beige (from black), pulled all the a/c components and removed all vents but defrost, removed some of the unnecessary wiring, pulled the audio system out because it will be more race oriented. I have also relocated the battery to the left rear well. I have a 5 gal fuel cell that's spare that I might put in and ditch the fuel tank, haven't decided on that yet. Hoping I can get in the 14s without any issues with the trans, not sure how that will go, the car will mostly be a drag car, but will also do some road course stuff too.

updates and work on the car should be more frequent now

Last edited:
Back