• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

YASVT (Yet Another Sixteen Valve Turbo) - now 16V Whiteblock (LS)

2000-ish miles on it over the weekend and I didn't have to touch anything. Running on all 8 every time I checked. Never overheated or did anything too rude other than drip a little gas out of the charcoal canister.

Only slightly iffy thing was getting stopped form 85 mph at a car crash, and then sitting there on a hill for about 20 minutes. The car kept creeping up degree by degree, to 220. Not an issue yet, but I was glad traffic started flowing again. It got a little warmer from time to time on the fast Mountain Meet drives, but not an actual issue, just something I need to get used to.

2000-ish miles on it over the weekend and I didn't have to touch anything. Running on all 8 every time I checked. Never overheated or did anything too rude other than drip a little gas out of the charcoal canister.

Only slightly iffy thing was getting stopped form 85 mph at a car crash, and then sitting there on a hill for about 20 minutes. The car kept creeping up degree by degree, to 220. Not an issue yet, but I was glad traffic started flowing again. It got a little warmer from time to time on the fast Mountain Meet drives, but not an actual issue, just something I need to get used to.

It was good seeing you this past weekend...my only regret is that I didn't make time for a ride in your car!

It's laughably unsuited to the roads around there. Although it does handle pretty well, it was mostly a case of getting it pointed straight, bbbRRRAAP*HARD ON THE BRAKES*. Those little straights start feeling even shorter.

I was crawling around it briefly on Sunday, seeing if there was room for an oil cooler up front somewhere. And modestly quickly realized that my cooler adapter (that bolts in place on the side of the block above the oil filter) wasn't going to work. The stock pan is completely flat along that plane, but the Holley pan has a sort of protruding lip just below the place where the plate or adapter bolts in place.

You can see it in their pic here - where the oil filter seal sits there's a semi-circular lip:
302-1-dimensions.jpg

Not there on a stock pan (at least on the Hummer pan I still have laying bout:
12640746-dimensions.png

That certainly put a halt on the oil cooler thing for now until I figure out what to do. Possibly an oil filter adapter - but I certainly don't want to push the filter down to where it's a low point.

I suppose I could always just put the filter out somewhere along the cooler lines. But I couldn't use a thermostat bypass then.

Oh, and finding room for the cooler lines to go forward was proving to be a bit challenging, at least going underneath. There are hot things, moving things, etc all over the place. I'd probably need to run the lines up along the firewall, the over along the side of the engine bay to the front.

Probably overkill. Just looking for ways to keep it cool during and immediately after driving it hard.

It has less of an issue now that fall weather has arrived. And it never actually overheated, but the gauge does just keep going up the longer you thrash it, until I slow down and let it cool off again. And it was clearly heading for overheating when I got stopped on the interstate. But I suspect that's more fan airflow related.

And lol, pardon my derp on the oil cooler adapter:
L300025297.jpg

Yeah... if you twist it around *that* way, it fits on. I just need to do a little something for my turbo oil supply - it currently just reaches straight down the the top of the turbo oil supply adapter now, and won't reach around to one of the small ports. And maybe I'll just run the lines up the back of the engine and along the driver's side of the engine compartment to the nose. There really wasn't a good way to get them there from below, with the header, crossover tube, steering shaft, tie-rod ends, sway bar, low control arm all vying to chew it up down there.

If you wanted to get a little cute you can buy them with a thermostatic bypass:
EGM-1012_10_lg.jpg

Wouldn't work well if you wanted to put a remote filter in the line at some point.

And yeah, that is a neat feature on an LS engine. I'm sure it was done to simplify machining - they just drill two angled oil passageways into the pan to get from a to b, and from there back to c. Angles would be hard to do easily without them intersecting at the surface, so they jsut have a pretty simple plate that bolts on there to connect the two holes:
s-l300.jpg

So you can easily just replace that plate and either tap into it just to check the temperature, or pressure, or get oil for a turbo, or in the most extreme case - to route 100% of the oil pump output through some other component like a cooler.

Got a 240 hood from a junkyard. They just rarely show up anymore. And I keep thinking I might want to chop up my hood by putting some heat extractor vents on it.

IMG_20191013_143822_zpsvwdztgtx.jpg

Scrubbed on it a little, turns out it was once red.
IMG_20191013_150538_zps696kybis.jpg

Last edited:
If I stick it on my car, I'll probably just paint it black.

With something sort of like this on both sides above the headers:
tak-u412ahl_ij_xl.jpg

Holy elbow grease batman!
I’d run the mismatched red hood, but then again, I’m lazy. It might work well with the “classic” red of the rest of the car.

Now 4th gear is very gently popping out into neutral. Noticed that on my drive to work this morning.

The motor part is great... but so far the CD009 part has been a bit iffy. That's 4th (very occasionally) and 5th (more frequently) popping into neutral. It takes practically no pressure on the shifter to keep it in gear, but still, PITA. Grrrr...

Now 4th gear is very gently popping out into neutral. Noticed that on my drive to work this morning.

The motor part is great... but so far the CD009 part has been a bit iffy. That's 4th (very occasionally) and 5th (more frequently) popping into neutral. It takes practically no pressure on the shifter to keep it in gear, but still, PITA. Grrrr...

Could it be that the shifter relocator is not engaging the 4th and 5th gear completely on the shift rod?

Could it be that the shifter relocator is not engaging the 4th and 5th gear completely on the shift rod?

The way it is happening makes me think it's a bit more related to the shifter than anything in the trans itself. Worn transmissions sometimes pop out of gear with some modest degree of force. This seems very gentle.

I guess at some point I'll be doing arthroscopic surgery and pulling the shifter off the trans with it in the car to see if anything is noticeably out of whack inside there.

Maybe take the stock rubber shifter boot off just to make sure it's not gently tugging it out of gear.

Back