• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AC compressor replacement or reshim

niquemarshall

I planned on replacing my compressor condenser and canister (someone said to change this anytime the system sits empty)

I had decided to replace the compressor because even though it DOES engage when the switch is bypassed, I can still rotate the clutch pulley by hand. Now I'm hearing theres a way to reshim the clutch. I'm not sure how to do that, but since I have a spare already, should I even bother or is the compressor a huge job? Btw I looked at the bracket and it appears that the tensioning rod is missing

I'm not an AC expert. However the tension screw is just a very long bolt. My hardware store had suitable replacements. Measure the one on your alternator or power steering and get one with the same thread. Was about $2 for me.

Have you gone over the basics and made sure the system is properly charged?

Look up Volvo 940 a/c compressor clutch air gap

And see what you can find about the topic.

The clutch gap is fairly common. Also check the control unit to make sure it does have have bad solder joint issues.

Have you gone over the basics and made sure the system is properly charged?

Look up Volvo 940 a/c compressor clutch air gap

And see what you can find about the topic.

The clutch gap is fairly common. Also check the control unit to make sure it does have have bad solder joint issues.

Right now the system isnt charged its had a leak, and the ac hasn't worked since I got it. I got 12v at the switch so i know the climate control works

Charge the system and see how it works and only then can you decide of something needs to be replaced.

I have seen many cars with belts missing off things when someone bought the car only for the system to work perfectly fine one you added whatever fluid or gas was required to make it work.

Last edited:
Yeah... suck it down, find the leak, repair the leak. Add charge and tap on it with a screw driver or something. It'll probably fire right up.

Charge the system and see how it works and only then can you decide of something needs to be replaced.

I have seen many cars with belts missing off things when someone bought the car only for the system to work perfectly fine one you added whatever fluid or gas was required to make it work.

When you try to add anything, even dye, it immediately goes back out near the condenser. It also comes out under the high pressure switch. All in all, it's not even getting past the condenser.

Accumulator/drier cartridges are changed when (1) the compressor has grenaded and filled the condenser and possibly the entire system with metal, and/or (2) when changing refrigerant types since the oils are different.

If just leaked out & empty, you should remove the orifice tube..... if no metal on the screen your compressor is likely AOK. Change all O-rings where you break the system open, make sure you have proper oil in the compressor. Vacuuming down your system removes all water so long as you have a deep cycle vacuum pump.

If your clutch functions proper, don't touch it for now. I'm getting ready to change clutch on a ZEXEL unit this weekend, and I'll let you know if there are any actual shim adjustments that are possible/prudent.

Have you found the leak yet? Have you read the 700/900 pages yet for AC 411?

Accumulator/drier cartridges are changed when (1) the compressor has grenaded and filled the condenser and possibly the entire system with metal, and/or (2) when changing refrigerant types since the oils are different.

If just leaked out & empty, you should remove the orifice tube..... if no metal on the screen your compressor is likely AOK. Change all O-rings where you break the system open, make sure you have proper oil in the compressor. Vacuuming down your system removes all water so long as you have a deep cycle vacuum pump.

If your clutch functions proper, don't touch it for now. I'm getting ready to change clutch on a ZEXEL unit this weekend, and I'll let you know if there are any actual shim adjustments that are possible/prudent.

Have you found the leak yet? Have you read the 700/900 pages yet for AC 411?

My compressor is presumed okay since the clutch still grabs, thing is, it looks really rusty where the clutch is and I can still rotate it by hand. I have a spare one. I know the condenser is leaking by the connectors. I dont know where else a leak possibly could be since none of the freon seems to get past the joint. I got another condenser and lines already. I just need to put it on. Prolly need to remove my radiator I just swapped a week ago tho.

Looks like I've spoken too soon. The compressor clutch is beginning to slip, although the ac still works great. I have a spare ac compressor but I'm not looking forward to filling the ac again.

Also, is the compressor supposed to stay engaged 100% of the time while the ac is running? I know on other cars the compressor cycles, as well as the fan. Mine runs all the time. Is this normal??

Back