• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chips for stock NA 940

hessam69

Hi,

I have a 100% stock standard NA 940. I'm not thinking about doing any modifications other than a chip for the LH 2.4 and EZK if there are benefits, particularly with the ignition timing. It already has a 531 head and VX3 cam since it is a B230FB.

I would like some better throttle response, more power if there is free HP hidden by use of a chip, I know standard tunes are very conservative fuelling and ignition wise

I'm happy to hear any advice

Thank you

If you are staying stock and are willing to use premium fuel. Then you only need to chip the ezk. You'll need a chip able ezk like a gold box one which should be in your car. I got my ezk chip from sbabbs. Pm him for information.

I used mine in a 93 245 which only has a enem V15 cam and Simons sport exhaust. It did exactly what you describe. Better throttle repsonse, a bit more power, and better mileage per tank.

I have 3 240 cars all with the 2.4. Recently in process doing a plus T. I removed the EZK which had a chip in it and I ran premium fuel all the time. I noticed some gain with the chip. So the other day, I removed the EZK and installed it in another car I own. Because adding a T requires a ECU and EZK out of a Turbo car. Which came out of a 940 T car. I just changed out the EZK nothing else and I cant believe it. It ran better with the Turbo EZK than it did with the chipped ezk. I let some one else drive it with out saying anything and they came back and said man what did you do to your car? So I put the another NA ezk in it and it was like loosing 20 hp. My car is in tip top shape and I keep it serviced. But I thought this was an interesting find. I can give you the number off the ezk evidently it has better timing. Is my guess.

I have 3 240 cars all with the 2.4. Recently in process doing a plus T. I removed the EZK which had a chip in it and I ran premium fuel all the time. I noticed some gain with the chip. So the other day, I removed the EZK and installed it in another car I own. Because adding a T requires a ECU and EZK out of a Turbo car. Which came out of a 940 T car. I just changed out the EZK nothing else and I cant believe it. It ran better with the Turbo EZK than it did with the chipped ezk. I let some one else drive it with out saying anything and they came back and said man what did you do to your car? So I put the another NA ezk in it and it was like loosing 20 hp. My car is in tip top shape and I keep it serviced. But I thought this was an interesting find. I can give you the number off the ezk evidently it has better timing. Is my guess.

Hi
Very typical result as the LH2.4 are set up with too high ignition timing from the factory and thereby floating on the knock sensor most of the time.
The knock sensor backs of on three degree increments and creep slowly upwards to regain timing until it knocks again. The end result is that most of the time the ignition timing is too retarded and fuel economy and power is suffering.

YS
Jaybee

This is a non chipped turbo ezk? If so it is expecting a load signal as if it was turbocharged. So there probably wouldn't be any difference with a stock turbo ezk in an n/a car.

A turbo ezk is expecing a load signal from the fuel computer. Which tells the ezk to back off the timing under boost.

figured it out.

Don?t know why but I noticed a difference in my nap car. Now could be a freak deal. I tear into my mass air wiring and found a cobbled upwire job.

Dont know why the 148 made a difference in the way the car would idle and it ran smoother. Felt stronger. Did some troubleshooting and firgured out that my O2 sensor was bad. So sorry I miss led you in trying a 148 EZK. I still have a NA chip with a EZK that Id sell if your still searching. Made by theo. Thanks

I tried the 148, the car started misfiring intermittently, lost some uphill power (needing 2nd gear instead of 3rd), and generally ran worse. Put the 175 back in, much better. How much is your chipped EZK? Thank you

Ill take 90 plus shipping. Has a NA chip in it. Ive been reading alot of ezk. Found some post that said the 148 has a fast processor? But its above my head. Regardless the 148 should not of caused your car misfire. But heck who knows. pm if you want the box with the chip. Thanks

The 148 is a turbo ezk box that has a turbo ignition map on it for less compression motor that then has boost. Why don't you compare the ignition maps between the turbo EZK bin and the NOn turbo EZK bin and then you'd know what the differences are. THat is the only difference.

If you are staying stock and are willing to use premium fuel. Then you only need to chip the ezk.
Incorrect. If you want to pick up a lot of power and throttle response off idle, you will want a custom fuel chip. The stock fuel map is screwed up at low rpm and high load causing the engine to run lean off the line in an automatic equipped car. The stock tuning is also too rich at high rpm causing reduced peak horsepower. Tuning both the ignition and fueling is optimal, but I'm not sure there is that much to gain in reality.

The ignition timing as mentioned above isn't necessarily too far off, and once you start modifying the head and compression, you actually need less than stock amounts of advance for the best result in a lot of circumstances. In most more stock configurations though, you can get away with some more advance with premium fuel.

The 148 is a turbo ezk box that has a turbo ignition map on it for less compression motor that then has boost. Why don't you compare the ignition maps between the turbo EZK bin and the NOn turbo EZK bin and then you'd know what the differences are. THat is the only difference.
The other thing that people are neglecting to realize is that the information the fuel and ignition computers use to talk to each other is different in the turbo and non-turbo computers, so they are not pulling ignition timing or fueling from the same area of the maps when you are mixing turbo and n/a computers. This may account for some of the perceived differences in power.

Here's a stock fuel map for a non-turbo redblock compared to one that I tweaked slightly to help both downsides of a stock tune. I do not have documented wideband readings of these two back to back over lengthy periods of time, but I know that my map is a definite improvement out of the box. The factory tuning can be leaned out at high rpm over time if you train it in a specific way(drive around at light load between 4000-6000rpm so it sees that it's too rich), but that is a pain in the butt and takes a while.

Ignore the RPM scale in these pictures, the numbers are incorrect in this LH2.4 Editor:

Attachments

• Stock 561 LH2.4 NA fuel map.jpg
    Stock 561 LH2.4 NA fuel map.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Basic refined 561  LH2.4 NA fuel map.jpg
    Basic refined 561 LH2.4 NA fuel map.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hi

The worst issue is the rigid setup by Volvo to keep the mixture at 14,7:1 no matter what.
On a N/A engine it almost never leaves closed loop.
Powerwise this is absolutely No No.

As Kyle also mentioned the stock calibration has an abundance of fuel up top in some weird catalyst saving scheme...everyone who has had problems with fuel knows that catalyst and rich mixtures does not end well....

Regarding ignition timing there are too much on high load/rpm and specially with a fat cam too little on low rpm.

All is easily enough fixed though.

YS
jaybee

Back